Gonzalez Report

BillsVet

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although the deadline is this afternoon, I wouldn't be surprised that if a deal is struck, it won't be until overnight that it is reported. Such a move will be unpopular among KC fans, and the team gaining TG wouldn't necessarily want to tip off Sunday's opponent any earlier than it has to. It would likely be announced by the league first.

The deadline info is currently being uploaded to Google. If you can't wait, you can look back to post 255, 190 (etc.). . . .

Ya know, here I figure Matt in KC must have some inside info so I open this thread and what do I find? I find bupkiss that's what I find. :unsure:

He'll do whatever with make Tony happy as long as it is in the best interest of the Chiefs.

BINGO!

Tony will get his respect, and if he REALLY doesn't want to go to Buffalo, the Chiefs MAY decide not to trade him (unless another "acceptable" team offers some thing close to what the Bills offer). But, if Tony was adamant about not going to the Bills, I assume that KC isn't dealing with the Bills, at all. If the KC is returning Buffalo's calls re: Gonzo, then I assume that KC is considering Buffalo's offer (but, they could simply be using the Bills as a stalking horse).

The report that the Bills interest in Tony is waning (if true) could mean that the Bills know that they are being used, and Tony won't come here, so they are attempting to save some face. Of course, if could also just be a negotiating tactic.

no but he has the gm's ear so if he doesnt want to be trade the gm(peterson) wont trade him.

True...But I'm pretty sure it's the other way around...I know Gonzalez and Petereson are REAL close and I think TG has asked to be dealt to a Contender or His name would have never come up...I also think Gonzalez is a stand up Guy and realizes the Chiefs need the extra picks more than they need Him anyway...I think in the end Peterson will take what He can get as long as TG gives it the go sign, and that is going to depend on the Team(s) Peterson has workable deals with...I think Buffalo is an easy sell...But I'm a Bills Fan so....We'll see...

It's not like The Giants looked like world beaters last night... :unsure:

Tony G obviously wants a chance to win now and he is trying to force the Giants hand by declaring that he wants to play for the G-Men, but why would the G-Men want Tony G after they traded an all pro TE in Shockey for a 2nd and a 5th only to trade those same picks for an older TE? That doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think Tony G wants to play for the Bills. Its nothing against the team, I just think he's not looking to maximize his talents, because the TEs are not a focal point in the Giants offense due to their depth at WR and their stellar running game.

I think Tony G wants to play in the largest market in the US, upping his profile even more.

NO WAY Tony G comes to Buffalo.

Tony G obviously wants a chance to win now and he is trying to force the Giants hand by declaring that he wants to play for the G-Men, but why would the G-Men want Tony G after they traded an all pro TE in Shockey for a 2nd and a 5th only to trade those same picks for an older TE? That doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think Tony G wants to play for the Bills. Its nothing against the team, I just think he's not looking to maximize his talents, because the TEs are not a focal point in the Giants offense due to their depth at WR and their stellar running game.

I think Tony G wants to play in the largest market in the US, upping his profile even more.

Exactly this.

I think TG is tired of being in a small market.

You make a good apoint about upping his profile, but I wouldn't say 'NO WAY'. His stature in this league is pretty well established, so at this point in his career, there is very little incremental increase in national exposure for him if he does go to NYC.

I would make the argument that his national stature would actually increase more if he were to come to Buffalo, as he will be seen as the piece that puts them over the top.

BINGO!

Tony will get his respect, and if he REALLY doesn't want to go to Buffalo, the Chiefs MAY decide not to trade him (unless another "acceptable" team offers some thing close to what the Bills offer). But, if Tony was adamant about not going to the Bills, I assume that KC isn't dealing with the Bills, at all. If the KC is returning Buffalo's calls re: Gonzo, then I assume that KC is considering Buffalo's offer (but, they could simply be using the Bills as a stalking horse).

The report that the Bills interest in Tony is waning (if true) could mean that the Bills know that they are being used, and Tony won't come here, so they are attempting to save some face. Of course, if could also just be a negotiating tactic.

This all seems so familiar. I can't help but recall how certain all the pundits were that Favre would remain retired before he took a trade to the Jets, that it was Minnesota/Chicago or bust . . . yet at the end of the saga, it was the team that wanted Favre most -- the Jets -- that ended up with him.

This is probably the most accurate assumption on TG's thoughts on the trade. The reason he wants to go to a "good" team has more to do with the team's market than its record.

You make a good apoint about upping his profile, but I wouldn't say 'NO WAY'. His stature in this league is pretty well established, so at this point in his career, there is very little incremental increase in national exposure for him if he does go to NYC.

I would make the argument that his national stature would actually increase more if he were to come to Buffalo, as he will be seen as the piece that puts them over the top.

...What? If he goes to the Giants his so called national exposure would go up a million times more than if he went to Buffalo.

It seems opinion on this is varied, but how much influence will TG have over where he ends up? Clearly he will have some sway, but one would hope the Chiefs would make the best deal available to them.

I think it is obvious that TG would probably prefer the Giants if his main goal is to reach the Super Bowl. I don't buy the "big market" idea, solely because most guys who have played in small market areas are pretty comfortable remaining in similar areas, it boils down to who has a better chance of winning. That being said, the Giants are reigning Super Bowl champs and they are 4-1, so it wouldn't be a surprise that TG would be happy going to NY.

But, I doubt he would shy away from the Bills. The team has a very solid makeup in terms of chemistry and the character of the players. It probably is appealing to someone who is known for a solid work ethic.

I think your assumption about Gonzalez is wrong. We're talking about a guy who threatened to go to the NBA for the main reason of exposure. He's definitely not comfortable with the small-market, if he was, he wouldn't complain and demand a trade. About Gonzalez not picking his team...If the offer is the same between the Bills and the Giants, out of respect the GM would defer to TG. The guy is the face of their franchise, I'm pretty sure if he's traded, he'll have much more of a say in his destination than the standard player.

This is probably the most accurate assumption on TG's thoughts on the trade. The reason he wants to go to a "good" team has more to do with the team's market than its record.

If he goes to the Giants, it will be hard to tell his real motivation. But, if he goes to a team like Miami (for example) we will know that the "contender" premise was just a facade. I think Tony really wants to contend for a SB while he has some time left. I doubt that Buffalo is at the top of his list, but I wouldn't automatically assume that he WON'T come to Buffalo. I predict that, if he comes to Buffalo, he will LOVE it.

I think your assumption about Gonzalez is wrong. We're talking about a guy who threatened to go to the NBA for the main reason of exposure. He's definitely not comfortable with the small-market, if he was, he wouldn't complain and demand a trade. About Gonzalez not picking his team...If the offer is the same between the Bills and the Giants, out of respect the GM would defer to TG. The guy is the face of their franchise, I'm pretty sure if he's traded, he'll have much more of a say in his destination than the standard player.

If the offer is the same between the two teams Peterson and his staff will have to try and prognosticate which team will yield the better draft pick based on their record for over the final 11 games. It comes down to value and optimizing what offers Tony G can net them.

The Chiefs will also try and prognosticate draft position and what college talent will be available at these offered positions along with possible FA over not only this year, but next year as well.

Kansas City Chiefs

2008: 1-4

2007: 4-12

It's not market size, it's being on a winning team. Would he agree to play on the Bills? Hard to say, but the decision would likely be made on whether TG thinks the Bills will go deep in the playoffs rather than how many heads are in their television market.

...What? If he goes to the Giants his so called national exposure would go up a million times more than if he went to Buffalo.

It depends on what he wants.

By going to NY his exposure to Madison Avenue advertising would be greater, if he is successful there, but I think he could have that now if he wanted. He would also be close to the Networks for future NFL Studio jobs. If that is what he is looking for than you are right Buffalo cannot compete.

But, if he wants to accentuate his football credentials, he would be able to do that more in Buffalo than in NYC.

He would also be idolized by countless Bills fans if he were part of the team that finally won it all. :unsure:

Your right, he's not coming... now I can relax and go back to checking the Board only 1 every 15 mintues, as opposed to once every 5. :D

Kansas City Chiefs

2008: 1-4

2007: 4-12

It's not market size, it's being on a winning team. Would he agree to play on the Bills? Hard to say, but the decision would likely be made on whether TG thinks the Bills will go deep in the playoffs rather than how many heads are in their television market.

Why do so many people praise players for doing this? You make it seem like its okay for a franchise player to demand a trade because his team sucks. That's a horrible mentality, and it's only since the advent of Free Agency that people developed this strategy. He had some good years with KC, and honestly, if he loved the team he'd have stayed there and ended his career there. Obviously if he loved it there, no matter what the record, he'd stay and help his small market team.