Gonzalez Report

BillsVet

Tony Gonzalez wants the New York Giants, but do the Giants want him?

That question will be answered by 4p.m. Tuesday , when the NFL's trading deadline arrives. Gonzalez, the future Hall of Fame tight end, has requested a trade from the Kansas City Chiefs. And not only has he asked to be traded to a contender, but he specifically mentioned the Giants.

So far, the Giants have only expressed a lukewarm interest, reportedly offering a sixth-round pick. According to various reports, the Chiefs are looking for either a second- or a third-rounder.

Giants GM Jerry Reese declined to confirm or deny those reports, saying only, "We investigate everything. You guys know that."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/KC...?urn=nfl,114757

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does wanting to be an NBA player have to do with anything?

Because his reason for "wanting to be an NBA player" happened to be exposure. What does your entire argument have to do with anything? Especially about where the NFL studios are located. You're just some crazy fan who can't face reality and realize that Tony Gonzalez will not be a Buffalo Bill.

There is no way the Chiefs can trade him to the Jints for anything less than a 3rd, presuming reports that the Bills offered a 3rd are true, no matter how much TG would rather play in NJ. And I am not sure they are willing to go bigger than a 6th.

As for the other teams supposedly interested in TG (Bucs, Pack, Iggles), I don't think any of them have as a legitimate chance of reaching the Super Bowl as do the Bills.

Why do so many people praise players for doing this? You make it seem like its okay for a franchise player to demand a trade because his team sucks. That's a horrible mentality, and it's only since the advent of Free Agency that people developed this strategy. He had some good years with KC, and honestly, if he loved the team he'd have stayed there and ended his career there. Obviously if he loved it there, no matter what the record, he'd stay and help his small market team.

I see it as a WIN WIN situation for both team & player. Tony will be OLD & retired before KC is good again. By going to another team, he gets to play on a contender, while the team gets a draft pick to help with the rebuilding. This is better than losing a star from your team as the Bills did with Bruce for nothing.

There is no way the Chiefs can trade him to the Jints for anything less than a 3rd, presuming reports that the Bills offered a 3rd are true, no matter how much TG would rather play in NJ. And I am not sure they are willing to go bigger than a 6th.

As for the other teams supposedly interested in TG (Bucs, Pack, Iggles), I don't think any of them have as a legitimate chance of reaching the Super Bowl as do the Bills.

Come on, I love my Bills but the teams you listed (TB, GB and PHI) have just a good a chance as we do. Those teams have all been to the playoffs recently. We haven't.

Why do so many people praise players for doing this? You make it seem like its okay for a franchise player to demand a trade because his team sucks. That's a horrible mentality, and it's only since the advent of Free Agency that people developed this strategy. He had some good years with KC, and honestly, if he loved the team he'd have stayed there and ended his career there. Obviously if he loved it there, no matter what the record, he'd stay and help his small market team.

I'm not praising him at all. I'm saying I can't believe he's demanding a trade because he wants a bigger television audience.

IMO, he knows he only has a couple more seasons and he wants to play for a winner. You might not agree, but it's a hell of a lot more satisfaction being in the locker room when your team is winning than it is to be with a perennial loser. He knows KC is in full blown rebuilding mode and he doesn't want to wait until they turn it around. He might prefer the NYG which have both a winning team and a large market, but I just don't buy the idea that the exposure is driving him at this point in his career.

but I just don't buy the idea that the exposure is driving him at this point in his career.

I agree with all you said, except that it's impossible to overlook who exactly TG is. He is not an average player, he is about hype just as much as the next superstar. The guy clearly wants to win, but I guarantee he doesn't want to do it in Buffalo. He's not coming here. It's that simple, by 4 pm we will all be back to our normal weekly talk. I want him, don't get me wrong, but I'm realistic enough to not fall for this.

What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about TV studios. If you are following this discourse, someone mentioned being close to NYC gives players a chance to get a studio job. I said it doesn't matter, thus refuting that point (the one you assume I am making). And apparently you haven't read a word of what I said. I said the Giants probably are the most obvious destination for TG because they have the better chance of "winning". But I also mentioned this doesn't mean the Bills have NO shot at all. So I really don't understand what you are saying. Your argument sounds like something Charlie would say from Its always Sunny in Philly. You don't read and it doesn't make sense.

By the way, how does being an NBA player increase your exposure when you are a Hall of Fame caliber Football player? Do basketball fans not watch football? Did Tony think "oh hey, I don't think enough people know I am a pro bowl TE, I think I am going to try and sit on the bench of an NBA team to increase my marketability". I doubt it. But here is an obvious conclusion, maybe he wanted to play in the NBA because....he likes basketball!?!?

Will you get off your high horse? You're clearly obsessed with yourself. I read every word you typed. My response was in general to those who dissent the big-market theory. As far as the NBA thing goes it looks like you're the one who doesn't read. By the NBA thing I mean he pulled a stunt that deliberately led to national exposure. He did it on purpose and he prides himself on exposure. I don't know why you're pretending like your all holy and know it all, especially when you don't even understand my point about the NBA. Look, he's not coming to Buffalo. Before you go on a rant and pretend like I'm incapable of reading and compare me to other sh------- television characters, please refrain from posting until 4 pm, and we'll see who's right. Hopefully I'm wrong, but like I said, there is no chance.

I say, let's just wait until something happens before we draw any more conclusions.

Everything I'm reading is nothing but guesswork. We'll find out pretty soon if he is going to be a Buffalo Bill or not.

Couldn't agree more.

I agree with all you said, except that it's impossible to overlook who exactly TG is. He is not an average player, he is about hype just as much as the next superstar. The guy clearly wants to win, but I guarantee he doesn't want to do it in Buffalo. He's not coming here. It's that simple, by 4 pm we will all be back to our normal weekly talk. I want him, don't get me wrong, but I'm realistic enough to not fall for this.

yes, I'm not convinced he will come to Buffalo either, but he might. If the Iggies, the Bucs, the Pack or the G-men offer KC the same or more as the Bills, he would probably pick one of those because of their track record. BUT, if the Bills are the best offer, our improved team might just be the ticket he's looking for.

What is everyone's feelings at this point? I'm not optimistic. It's not a bad thing, but I just don't get the feeling something will be done before 4 p.m. Part of that skepticism stems from the lack of trades in the NFL (especially at the deadline). The other part stems from the fact that if the Bills were truely interested, they probably could have hammered out a deal a week ago and spent the bye week preparing Gonzalez.

Come on, I love my Bills but the teams you listed (TB, GB and PHI) have just a good a chance as we do. Those teams have all been to the playoffs recently. We haven't.

Those teams all have tougher roads to the Super Bowl than we do.

Strength Of Schedule Rankings (remaining games)

Team ---- League ---- Conf ---- Div

Iggles ---- 10 ---- 4 ---- 2

Jints ---- 20 ---- 10 ---- 4

Bucs ---- 21 ---- 11 ---- 3

Pack ---- 24 ---- 13 ---- 3

Bills ---- 29 ---- 15 ---- 4

Plus, the Bills have a head start on almost all the other teams

Records

Bills ---- 4-1

Jints ---- 4-1

Bucs ---- 4-2

Iggles ---- 3-3

Pack ---- 3-3

Standings as of today

Team ---- League ---- Conf ---- Div

Bills ---- 2 ---- 2 ---- 1

Jints ---- 2 ---- 1 ---- 1

Bucs ---- 5 ---- 2 ---- 1 (three-way tie)

Pack ---- 15 ---- 8 ---- 1 (three-way tie)

Iggles ---- 15 ---- 8 ---- 4

What is everyone's feelings at this point? I'm not optimistic. It's not a bad thing, but I just don't get the feeling something will be done before 4 p.m. Part of that skepticism stems from the lack of trades in the NFL (especially at the deadline). The other part stems from the fact that if the Bills were truely interested, they probably could have hammered out a deal a week ago and spent the bye week preparing Gonzalez.

From the comments section of the Yahoo Rumor link...not sure if true or not?

Obviously the new york daily news didnt want to quote the part where he also mentioned Buffalo and Philly... Gonzalez has given the media ONE QUOTE pertaining to the teams he would like to go to, and as BAD as the NY DAILY NEWS wants you to believe he made the Giants his only choice, the first team he mentioned in the quote was BUFFALO... And that was taken from the K.C. media source

If that quote you have there is true then this is a horse of a different color.

There is no way you were wrong in your orignal comments. You rambled on and on way too long for that. You rambled about everything from TG's self indulgence to how TV studios run. There is just no way you were wrong and some doofus on a Yahoo board was right. No way. You'll see.