What about Vernon Davis?

H2o

I agree with your points on Davis, but no TE has ever thrived under Mike Martz. And the 49ers have a different QB who is relying on his veteran WR Ike Bruce, along with WRs Arnez Battle, Bryant Johnson, and pass-catching RB Frank Gore. I'm sure Davis will get more opportunities this season to be involved in the offense - the 49ers have invested too heavily in him not to.

Now, this point needs some clarifying: "Leave it up to Mike Martz to waste a guy's talent (see Marshall Faulk with the Rams)"

Faulk's talent was wasted? I guess a running back catching 80+ balls for four consecutive years ('99-'02), rushing for 1300+ yards in 3 of those years and scoring 69 touchdowns plus winning a Super Bowl isn't good enough for you?

Certainly Faulk's numbers took a dive when he was injured (missed parts or all of 6 games in '02, 5 games in '03), and the wheels came off the Rams' Ferrari when Kurt Warner became badly injured to start the '02 season (3 TD, 11 INT, 0-6 record), getting replaced by Marc Bulger in Week 7. But you have to realize that very few RBs can continue to play at such a high level for 5+ years. For several of the Rams' glory years, Faulk was by far the most versatile and best running back in the NFL.

Yeah, seen the guy play. Alot more in college than in the NFL. I live in VA and saw Maryland play alot because of the "region" I'm in. Saw him put up decent numbers last year while battling injuries too. The guy runs decent routes and not every person catches every pass. Sorry you hold a grudge because he didn't produce for your fantasy squad :lol: , but all that aside he still has the potential to be a good player for many years to come. He also has alot of God given athleticism that can't be taught. You can be taught to run more crisp routes and you can work on your hands. Gonzales is getting old quick and it's not like the guy is "the missing piece" to our Super Bowl puzzle. I still say that we should look at getting Davis if the price is right, because we all should still be thinking long-term around here. Our team is not a "power house" just yet.

You want to say that, "if Mike Martz cant turn this guy into a producer in a pass happy offense with a great RB to keep the D honest, why do you think he will fit into our system mid season where it will take him the rest of the year to learn the offense?" Mike Martz is an overrated tool. He ruined what could've been dynasty of sorts in St. Louis with his antics and misuse of talent. Yeah, he's got Gore producing now. But last year Gore battled injury and his monster year came with Norv Turner at the helm. If you look back, Turner even made Alex Smith look like an up and coming QB. In the end, his arrogance and stupid decisions will get him run out of San Fran too.

A lot of people look good in college...NFL is different...players are better, teams are smarter. If we can him cheap, great, but hes not worth what it will take to get him out of SF, if he is even available. There is talk about his work ethic in the tape room kind of stuff...not really promising insight when he has to learn a whole new offense mid season.

Also, Martz offense won St. Louis a super bowl. He may not be the best head coach, but he is still a top offensive coordinator if you want to pass. Last I checked, he was the offensive coordinator there in SF and already took the awful SF offense and made it credible by rebirthing the passing game there. So, if he cant get Vernon the ball, something is wrong. In fact, he said the player he most excited about was Vernon and they were going to put him in positions to be a factory...Vernon has not responded. He often looks lost out there...so my suggestion...watch more of him in the NFL as your admitedly said you have not...last I checked Buffalo plays in the NFL not the NCAA, so its his NFL play that I am interested in.

And yes, the kid is a freak athletically...but that doesnt alwasy translate into NFL success. And he is more fragile than Shockey...

Again, based on athletic talent, sure pick him up if you get him cheap...my point is he hasnt shown anything at all that would justify what it would cost to get him.

Vd is available in my fantasy league but I won't pick him up and here is why.

Tue, Oct 7 The Associated Press reports San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan defended the use of TE Vernon Davis as a blocker, even though Davis has just five receptions in five games this season. "He has a responsibility to himself to run the correct routes," Nolan said. "You get the ball that way better, but by no stretch would I say he's a bust. Like I said, he is good at two out of the three (aspects of his job). He will continue to get better at the third part, but that's a matter of working at it."

(KFFL)

Tue, Oct 7 TE Vernon Davis has caught just two passes the past four games. He is seen as a better blocker than a pass catcher, despite being the No. 6 overall pick in the 2006 draft. Davis has experienced difficulty fitting into Mike Martz's offense. He has just five catches for 87 yards through five games. Davis has been spending time after practices working with quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan on down-the-field pass routes. Davis is not known as an accomplished route-runner.

(Yahoo! Sports)

He is a beast physically and can run like a jet...in a straight line. But if he can't learn to run his routes properly.... he was a "project" draft pick.kinda like Ted Ginn Jr.

i think alex smith is out for this whole year.

it would be a tight end and a draft pick for davis or just a draft pick for him.

or mccargo if sf wants him and they would have to put something with davis if we are giving up mccargo.

I highly doubt that the 49ers give up on him after less then 3 years, so he won't come cheap

If SF was stupid enough to get rid of him for cheap, I would say it is definitly a move you make. A change of scenery/offence maybe just what the guy needs. We already have a blocking TE so that should solve on of his issues.

He has the ability and skills to be good, he's just the kind of player that may need the change to a new team and the right offence to get him to reach his potential

But theres no way that SF gives him up for anything cheap

The bolded part is pretty much where I fall on this.