One thing I am really hoping they are working on

Honestly, I think that was the game plan. They kind of reverted to the Walt Corey 'bend-but-don't-break' mode - not wanting to get beat deep and hoping the Cards would make a mistake before they got to the end zone.

its ALWAYS been the weakness of this defense since the opener against Denver of last season. hit your big WRs for quick slants all day against us.

i dont know what they do to adjust and defend it. but im not getting paid the big bucks either.

Yep. That's why we match up so poorly against the Pats.

I gotta tell you, I'm scratching my head at this one as well. You'd think these coaches can see this happening when we play good offenses time and time again. How about we jam the damned wideouts, blitz a safety, and then hit the crap out of whoever catches the ball across the middle? At least it would make ME feel better.

its ALWAYS been the weakness of this defense since the opener against Denver of last season. hit your big WRs for quick slants all day against us.

i dont know what they do to adjust and defend it. but im not getting paid the big bucks either.

Well if thats true (i simply dont know) isnt it time for them to rethink that strategy. Like i said in another post, yes players play, but these coaches need to get their act together and put our players in better positions.

I gotta tell you, I'm scratching my head at this one as well. You'd think these coaches can see this happening when we play good offenses time and time again. How about we jam the damned wideouts, blitz a safety, and then hit the crap out of whoever catches the ball across the middle? At least it would make ME feel better.

and thats all that matters right? haha. i agree though, they need to change it up.

but what we all have to understand as well, is that is the point of the Cover-2 "bend but dont break" defense.

you allow all the short plays underneath and never give up a big play, with the plan to tackle the WR quickly. and the pass rush is supposed to stop the rhythm needed to hit those plays.

problem is we had no pass rush and werent swarming the ball. so our strategy was basically, dont give up the deep ball but let everything else kill us.

for ANY scheme to work you need the major components to be successful. 2(at least) of our major components didnt seem to catch the flight out west.

Right...hit whoever catches the ball AND hit the QB every single time!

It was draining to sit there and watch Warner hit slant and slant for one first down after another. The Bills fans I was with were all screaming with me "Jesus, how many of those slants are you going to let Warner complete, Losman?!?! Get off the freakin' bench and stop this nonsense! You're costing us the game!"

All smart Bills fans agreed.

You defend the slant by playing man coverage and not giving up inside position to the receiver. The phrase "second defender" when used to refer to the sideling applies. Force the receiver outside in close man coverage. It seems to me that Perry was so concerned about the long ball that he felt it was a big enough threat to run a mid-deep zone all game.

Had he put his corners on the line to jam the receivers and stick to them in man, while leaving safety help over the top, the slant would not have been nearly as effective. We would, however, have been more succeptible to deep passes and the safties would have had to be on their game.

I'm convinced that playing man and possibly giving up long pass plays would have been a much better risk/reward equation than allowing AZ to dink and dunk their way down the field and chew up the clock, and not stopping them anyway.