Who lost this game

mead107

Yeah, most definitely the defense. Not even close. Basically, since the clock stopped them on their field goal drive and the end of the half, the Cardinals went the distance on 6 of their first 7 drives. CRAZY bad defense, reminiscent of the debacle against NE last year. Atrocious.

The Cards converted on at least their first SIX straight third down attempts, IIRC. Amazing for a Bills defense that was, up to game time, #1 in the whole dang NFL in third down defense.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look, Cards can score points. theyre #2 in NFC, only 4 pts behind Dallas. so to beat them your offense better be clicking. how many offenses click when theyre starting QB goes down after 3 plays? almost none. when your backup QB comes in the game plan automatically gets more limited and more conservative. both of which lower your potential for scoring. note our greater emphasis on running even though it was inneffective.

bottom line: it was a tough day, but that happens in football. good teams recover and move on.

look, Cards can score points. theyre #2 in NFC, only 4 pts behind Dallas. so to beat them your offense better be clicking. how many offenses click when theyre starting QB goes down after 3 plays? almost none. when your backup QB comes in the game plan automatically gets more limited and more conservative. both of which lower your potential for scoring. note all the greater emphasis on running even though it was inneffective.

bottom line: it was a tough day, but that happens in football. good teams recover and move on.

What have you done with jduncan?

JP Losman caused the loss? You guys crack me up - by the time JP had his first interception the game was out of reach....he played a pretty good game, FOR A BACKUP. Let's be honest, that's what he is at this point. The coaches called SEVERAL draw plays on third and more than 5. I blame the coaches for not having confidence in the offense, which granted is justified but come on, how else are we going to win. I also blame the injury on McGee as being a HUGE hit to our team. But to blame JP????? Give it a rest.

I don't see how anyone in their right mind would try to pin this on anything but the defense. How many times did they punt for god's sake?

I heard the Cards' punter had someplace else he had to be that Sunday. A party or wedding or something. Whatever. Before the game started, he took Kurt Warner to one side, and said, "Listen, buddy. Pal. Good Christian friend. I kind of need the day off here. If it's not to much to ask, would you mind scoring every time you touch the ball? I know that sounds ambitious, but I really do have someplace I need to be."

Warner: I don't know I can promise you a whole game. How about keeping you off the field for the first half? Would that be enough?

Punter: I guess so.

Warner: Go do whatever you want in the first half. Show up around the end of halftime, stay for a few minutes to get the feel of the game, and then go back to doing whatever you were doing. Come back a bit before the game is over just to check in on things. Good enough?

Punter: Yeah, I guess that'll work.

At the end of the game . . .

Punter: Hey Kurt, I really appreciate you giving me the afternoon off. I got to meet a lot of exciting people at the social function I attended while the game was underway.

Kurt: Hey man, don't mention it. Did you meet any attractive women?

Punter: Well, there was this one . . .

The entire team seemed to implode after seeing Trent get carted off...

No they didn't, they scored two TD's before the half. How often have we managed 2 TDs in the first half? Trent's injury had nothing to do with the defense. Schobel was worse than useless. We were covering the deep balls and giving up the underneath stuff which they took advantage of. We never found an ajustment that worked. Warner is a statue and we couldn't get any pressure on him at all with the front four. Schobel had one man to beat most downs and wasn't able to do anything.

When you get behind that much, the offense hasn't a prayer because the D can simply tee off every play.

Royal's fumble, jumping off sides on that FG, etc. There was plenty of badness to go around, that is for sure.

The Cards converted on at least their first SIX straight third down attempts, IIRC. Amazing for a Bills defense that was, up to game time, #1 in the whole dang NFL in third down defense.

The Cards played a very similar offense to what NE ran against us last year. Lots of short passes, with the occasional run or screen. NE throws a bomb in every so often which, mercifully, the Cards did not. We better find a way to stop that kind of offense as I guarantee we are going to see a lot more of it.

The defense, without question. They gave up touchdowns on the Cards' first three drives, and while yes, that first drive wasn't entirely their fault, the next two (14 plays, 80 yds; 12 plays, 78 yards) can be blamed on no one else. The Cards scored on 7 of their first 8 possessions of the game. They allowed 28 first downs, all but three in the first 40 minutes or so of the game, I believe.

Losman? Yeah, he stunk up the 4th quarter (when they were already down 34-17; thanks D), but he also led them to scores on three of the Bills first four possessions with him at QB and 17 points, which is more than they averaged per game last season.

No, it seems rather obvious where the blame lies. The defense choked.

There is no doubt this one is on the defense. JP did alright while the game was still competitive, but the defense has to do something to stop them. It reminded me of Brady and New England against us.

Every team is going to get film of this game and this is what the Bills can expect until they find a way to stop it.

Damn! Cardinals just scored again.

The Cards played a very similar offense to what NE ran against us last year. Lots of short passes, with the occasional run or screen. NE throws a bomb in every so often which, mercifully, the Cards did not. We better find a way to stop that kind of offense as I guarantee we are going to see a lot more of it.

Well said. I think we have the defensive talent to do a much better job of defending against this kind of offense than what we saw yesterday. We just need better play calling/coaching. Hopefully we'll get that by the time the New England game comes around.

Trent's injury killed us, then the defence collapsed. JP was horrible.

Trent's injury early did not help at all. I don't think as a team we responeded well to that. I think the next play, the hand off to Lynch was fumbled and that sort of got the momentum early in the Cardinals favor. Either way, it was not a well played game by our Bills and we have to be more prepared.