Ch 4 may get dropped from Time Warner?

Beerball

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I would have thought there would be much gnashing of teeth over this.

Is it a forgone conclusion that they will get the deal done?

Midnight deadline

I'm more a radio guy than TV but it really looks like a "Jason Peters" move by ch.4. Yes, they have the Bills, but that's 3 hours out of 168 hours in a week. I don't know what the cable penetration is in Buffalo but it's gotta be at least 50%. For people with cable, if you're not on their system, you don't exist. That means 50% of your market not watching your news, prime time programs, etc. (I gotta believe CBS would have something to say on this.)

I wonder if Time Warner can replace ch.4 with Rochester's or Erie PA's CBS channel?

PTR

This should serve as a lesson for anyone who think it wise to have time warner.

Exactly.I switched to Directv when i started losing money in Adelphia stock.Needless to say Time Warner is a terribile cable provider.Just think of the outrage if the Bills game isnt on come Sunday for cable subscribers. :worthy:

My grandfather lives in Jamestown and has Time Warner. He gets Erie's CBS channel in addition to WKBW.

i also live in Jamestown and while Channel 4 (WIVB-Bufalo) and 5 (WSEE-Erie) both were scheduled to show the Bills game, only channel 4 actually did. "Non-Duplication" laws prevented Channel 5 from showing the game as well. I am unsure how this will affect channel 5 going forward, but i was told that in "dual" market towns like Jamestown, the game will be blacked out on channel 5 - bottom line is this sucks !!

That is all well and good if you have other choices. We don't have FIOS and our neighborhood is too wooded for a dish. It is actually Channel 4 causing the problem.

You'll need to "splain" me on this. I'm not an advocate for time warner... just a 'bang for the buck' kinda guy.

The only other options are a sattelite provider... and they don't provide the local chanels as I underand it... you have to usea secondary receiver/antenna/dish to receive the local chanels.

But... do the satellite providers charge you extra for HD? yeah...most of em do.

Then you have fios... but where's the HD

There is no clear cut one is better than the other. I comes down to what your personal preferences are and what works for you.

I'm a time warner subscriber... I don't have digital cable or the box... but I get about 85 chanels... 6 of which are in HD.

I've considered other options, but when I stack all the options up and compare them side by side, time warner wins for me. I have 6 cable ready tvs (2 hd) running off a single cable line feed and a distribution box. No cable boxes. The same set up for a satellite system would require 6 receiver boxes and the fee that goes with it, plus HD fees if I want that option. That would easily double my current cable bill...and I don't see where double the money doubles my viewing pleasure.

You'll need to "splain" me on this. I'm not an advocate for time warner... just a 'bang for the buck' kinda guy.

The only other options are a sattelite provider... and they don't provide the local chanels as I underand it... you have to usea secondary receiver/antenna/dish to receive the local chanels.

But... do the satellite providers charge you extra for HD? yeah...most of em do.

Then you have fios... but where's the HD

There is no clear cut one is better than the other. I comes down to what your personal preferences are and what works for you.

I'm a time warner subscriber... I don't have digital cable or the box... but I get about 85 chanels... 6 of which are in HD.

I've considered other options, but when I stack all the options up and compare them side by side, time warner wins for me. I have 6 cable ready tvs (2 hd) running off a single cable line feed and a distribution box. No cable boxes. The same set up for a satellite system would require 6 receiver boxes and the fee that goes with it, plus HD fees if I want that option. That would easily double my current cable bill...and I don't see where double the money doubles my viewing pleasure.

You seem misinformed when it comes to locals on Sat. I have DirecTv and receive all of the local channels in Buffalo in BOTH standard and high definition.

As for all the rest. In terms of having to have boxes in each room (and paying for them) you are correct. I have to agree that Cable is a better solution (cost wise especially) for someone with more than a couple of TVs

By the way, with DirecTv, I do pay about 10 a month for HD service and have about 78 HD channels. (not including PPVs and things like that)