Comcast.net writer sites in Power Rankings "Toronto Bills"

MClem06

Touchy, touchy, touchy. Of course every beat writer is going to take jabs at the Buffalo-Toronto connection. You missed the point, however -- the guy gives the Bills props and ranks them at #4.

As I've said many times, I fail to understand why people give a damn about sportswriters' "power ratings" anyway. This isn't college football and the polls don't matter.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh.....Please no more links about stuff like this....it pisses me off for some reason and I am in too good of a mood to worry about it

0:) The Bills are 3-0 for the first time in a million years(or so it seems that way :lol: ) and all that has led to is a steady stream of look at what joe blow wrote about us or look where Jim Bob from timbuktu has us ranked. Who gives a !@#$!

Here's what I wrote him:

Dude,

It was totally inappropriate for you to refer to the Buffalo Bills as the “T******” Bills ( no, I cant even type it!) This city, and its hard working blue collar people, has loved and supported this team through its highs and lows and deserve more than a cheap shot from anyone. We have earned the right to keep our team, we have done everything we can do to keep the team in WNY where it belongs forever. We’re not a bunch of bandwagon fans…Buffalo lives, breathes and DIES Buffalo Bills football…it’s embedded in our genetic code. We haven’t turned our back on this team and forced ownership to look elsewhere to make more money than they’ll ever need. All we ask is that we fans, who are the ones who read your article, get treated with a bit of respect and ask that you refer to the Bills with their proper (and hopefully eternal) name. The BUFFALO Bills.

BTW…I love my team, but they should probably be around # 6 on your list.

Regards,

Tim McDonell, SMSgt, USAF

Guest dog14787

If you really want to stop this guy or any writer, it is possible there are actual legal grounds to press charges against this guy and every one of us could be intitled to sue for damages.

Get legal representation to contact this fella, or possibly a represenative from the Buffalo Bills organization and tell this writer that we will seek legal represenation if it ever happens again and also, we want a formal apology in writting on his next column.

I'm not a lawyer, but seems like there would be laws against stuff like this or everyone wold be doing it.

Anybody have a good lawyer on retainer who wants to put a good scare into this fellow? never know, your lawyer might just say, hey, lets go after this guy for damages, because lets face it, it is mean, it upsets people just as if their own name was slandered and its wrong. :lol:

Go after this guy and make an example out of him so it never happens again 0:)

At the very least, I'm sure he will be forced to address the issue and fix the mistake.

Guy here at the Washington Post, in his Monday wrap-up column, refers to Buffalo as the ArgoBills. I got a little steamed at first, but at 3-0, it's not worth rattling this guy's little cubicle.

I get the Post and noticed that from week 1. He tries to be witty with the "ArgoBills" reference every week. Some of these writers try so hard to stand out from the crowd. Maybe people get amused one time....but to put it in there every week is just stupid.

If you really want to stop this guy or any writter, it is possible there are actual legal grounds to press charges against this guy and every one of us could be intitled to sue for damages.

Get legal representation to contact this fella, or possibly a represenative from the Buffalo Bills organization and tell this writter that we will seek legal represenation if it ever happens again and also, we want a formal apology in writting on his next column.

I'm not a lawyer, but seems like there would be laws against stuff like this or everyone wold be doing it.

Anybody have a good lawyer on retainer who wants to put a good scare into this fellow? never know, your lawyer might just say, hey, lets go after this guy for damages, because lets face it, it is mean, it upsets people just as if their own name was slandered and its wrong. :lol:

At the very least, I'm sure he will be forced to address the issue and fix the mistake.

I hope you are joking. If not, you need some hobbies.

PS It's writer not writter.

Guest dog14787
I hope you are joking. If not, you need some hobbies.

PS It's writer not writter.

Look buddy, If you read the thread you would see it wasn't bothering me. What bothers me is having my fellow fans upset over something stupid like this. To say its a waste of time to protect my teams image and protect other Bills fans from getting their buttons pushed is a joke.

WE ARE NOT THE TORONTO BILLS

So get real 0:)

Writers as you so clearly pointed out should get things right or they have folks correcting them just like you did me.

Why did you bother, nothing better to do?

Look buddy, If you read the thread you would see it wasn't bothering me , what bothers me is having my fellow fans upset over something stupid like this, and to say its a waste of time to protect my teams image and protect other Bills fans from getting their buttons pushed is a joke.

So get real 0:)

Writers as you so clearly pointed out, should get things right or they have folks correcting them just like you did me.

Why did you bother, nothing better to do?

Dude, they play some games in Toronto. It's unfortunately true. This guy can call them whatever he wants. Their name isn't the Buffalo Jills either, but when they play like girls, some writers call them that.

If the Bills remain good, and they rake in cash from Toronto, build their fan base, and increase suite revenue- further solidifying their already-strong position as the BUFFALO Bills- then I doubt anyone will really care. In fact, I doubt anyone outside of a few nervous nellies in WNY really cares now.

The fact is, Buffalo can support a team. We know this and have proved this for 50 years. However, the economics of the game are changing, and are going to be VERY different in just 2-3 years when Dallas and the NY teams start seeing their stadium revenue. Toronto is an ENORMOUS untapped market that the Bills are looking toward to remain competitive with the new NFL financials. Let's be thankful that Toronto is so close. What are teams like Carolina and New Orleans and Jacksonville and KC going to do to remain competetive?

The Bills are a great franchise with great fans. They have had a successful business model for 50 years. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall for the new business model in the NFL. Give the Bills some credit for having enough foresight to maximize their competetiveness, and don't worry what some 24-year old writes in his power rankings.

Guest dog14787
There are also two ways to look at this, If a Canadian city like Toronto adopts our Bills from a fan perspective, it only helps our team's fan base grow. Besides that, these folks are close enough to possibly come into the Buffalo area and help our economy 7 games out of the year vs. our 1 game played there.

So what, let the city of Toronto share the fun of having a team to root for, we should welcome all fans, Canadian or anywhere in the world. This is a very, very good marketing stradegy, one that will help secure our team forever, I'm surprised more people don't view this as a good thing.

Let people crack jokes and bring more attention to us, and let Toronto enjoy the glory for 1 game out of the year, to them maybe we are the Toronto Bills, so what, what does it matter, even wearing a special emblem ( small ) for that game in honor of our fellow canadians would be nice in my opinion.

Like Deano said, its just a joke, don't worry about it, geesh 0:)

I just wanted to repeat my original post on this subject. :lol:

He wrote me back and I replied...the last two emails we shared.

-----Original Message-----

From: russakoffrules@comcast.net [mailto:russakoffrules@comcast.net]

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:34 AM

To: McDonell, Timothy E SMSgt USAF AMC AMC/A7XP

Subject: Re: BUFFALO Bills

OK-- here we go. I hope for your sake and for the leagues sake...it is always the Buffalo Bills. The league would be worse off--noticeably--if it moved the bills out of buffalo. Buffalo fans are a different breed. As a philly fan, there arent many fan bases i respect, but the bills fans are one of them

so heres why i wrote toronto. If the bills make more money in this game in toronto than they do in buffalo, you can bet they do it again..and more...until 4 or 5 games a year are in toronto. whats worse, they could move there entirely, and the nfl would "sell" it as internationalizing the game.

the only people who lose in that are the fans. Because while you guys bleed blue and red, the execs bleed green. They just care about money. and if they can make more elsewhere...they'll bolt if they can get away with it. it's up to us fans to not let them get away with it. because the teams mean more to us, to our cities, than they do to the players and the rich men who own and run them.

i'll change it back next week, because of passionate and reasonable pleas from people like you, timothy. But im concerned that if the attitude is: "it's just one game." it has a potential to snowball.

as for the bills, who do you put ahead of them? the steelers looked weak, and denver cant play D.

Sir,

Thanks for the response. I know that things could indeed snowball if the games in T.O make big money...I hope that it falls flat on its face though seeing how Ted Rogers wants crazy money per game there. I'm sure there are lunatics that will pay that kind of $$ but for how long? Check out this article from a Canadian journalist who has the stance of keeping the Bills out of Canada for the sakes of saving the CFL:

http://www.northumberlandnews.com/northumb.../article/109091

Your comment about it "being up to us fans" is entirely correct, and part of it starts with our journalist brethren who hold the ear of millions when the speak/write. All I can ask is that "your part" would be to accurately identify the team with the city/region to which it belongs...which is Buffalo. We want to cement Buffalo as the rightful name rather than give people an opportunity to start identifying it with another city name.

As for teams ahead of the Bills...San Diego got "jobbed" in Denver and let an early game against the Panthers slip away, but they're still a damn good team. I also think that Tennessee is a pretty balanced and impressive team that showed it can play with marginal QB play as well as all of the other QB distractions it's dealt with VY's circumstances.

Again, thanks for the response.

Regards,

Tim McDonell

I got a similar reply:

My Original:

Omg the Toronto Bills!! Did you think of that yourself? That is such a smart little thing you did there I can't imagine how intelligent you must be to come up with such an original little jab. I can imagine how great your journalism skills must be because your creativity is through the roof!

Response:

im sensing a hint of sarcasm...

the point of calling them toronto was to bring national attention to an issue that has been largely ignored (but hotly debated in your city). my concern is that if the bills make more money up in toronto, that gives them an excuse to move more games up there. and more games. until they just decide to move up there to 'internationalize' the game. and then the league loses some of the best and most passionate fans in the country. I'm feeling another seattle supersonics coming on, and that would be terrible for your city and the league.

Guest dog14787

so heres why i wrote toronto. If the bills make more money in this game in toronto than they do in buffalo, you can bet they do it again..and more...until 4 or 5 games a year are in toronto. whats worse, they could move there entirely, and the nfl would "sell" it as internationalizing the game.

This is pathetic 0:)

This is his reason? To save our team?

Dude, they play some games in Toronto. It's unfortunately true. This guy can call them whatever he wants. Their name isn't the Buffalo Jills either, but when they play like girls, some writers call them that.

If the Bills remain good, and they rake in cash from Toronto, build their fan base, and increase suite revenue- further solidifying their already-strong position as the BUFFALO Bills- then I doubt anyone will really care. In fact, I doubt anyone outside of a few nervous nellies in WNY really cares now.

The fact is, Buffalo can support a team. We know this and have proved this for 50 years. However, the economics of the game are changing, and are going to be VERY different in just 2-3 years when Dallas and the NY teams start seeing their stadium revenue. Toronto is an ENORMOUS untapped market that the Bills are looking toward to remain competitive with the new NFL financials. Let's be thankful that Toronto is so close. What are teams like Carolina and New Orleans and Jacksonville and KC going to do to remain competetive?

The Bills are a great franchise with great fans. They have had a successful business model for 50 years. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall for the new business model in the NFL. Give the Bills some credit for having enough foresight to maximize their competetiveness, and don't worry what some 24-year old writes in his power rankings.

I agree, but there's a chance that once we open that door it will get kicked in and never closed. I would love to "tap in" to the T.O market, I just don't want the other NFL owners (who'd want the Bills permanently in T.O ) to see T.O as a cash cow for their own personal gain. WE ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO CARE ABOUT THE BILLS STAYING IN BUFFALO!

He wrote me back and I replied...the last two emails we shared.

-----Original Message-----

From: russakoffrules@comcast.net [mailto:russakoffrules@comcast.net]

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:34 AM

To: McDonell, Timothy E SMSgt USAF AMC AMC/A7XP

Subject: Re: BUFFALO Bills

OK-- here we go. I hope for your sake and for the leagues sake...it is always the Buffalo Bills. The league would be worse off--noticeably--if it moved the bills out of buffalo. Buffalo fans are a different breed. As a philly fan, there arent many fan bases i respect, but the bills fans are one of them

the only people who lose in that are the fans. Because while you guys bleed blue and red, the execs bleed green. They just care about money. and if they can make more elsewhere...they'll bolt if they can get away with it. it's up to us fans to not let them get away with it. because the teams mean more to us, to our cities, than they do to the players and the rich men who own and run them.

i'll change it back next week, because of passionate and reasonable pleas from people like you, timothy. But im concerned that if the attitude is: "it's just one game." it has a potential to snowball.

as for the bills, who do you put ahead of them? the steelers looked weak, and denver cant play D.

Sir,

Thanks for the response. I know that things could indeed snowball if the games in T.O make big money...I hope that it falls flat on its face though seeing how Ted Rogers wants crazy money per game there. I'm sure there are lunatics that will pay that kind of $$ but for how long? Check out this article from a Canadian journalist who has the stance of keeping the Bills out of Canada for the sakes of saving the CFL:

http://www.northumberlandnews.com/northumb.../article/109091

Your comment about it "being up to us fans" is entirely correct, and part of it starts with our journalist brethren who hold the ear of millions when the speak/write. All I can ask is that "your part" would be to accurately identify the team with the city/region to which it belongs...which is Buffalo. We want to cement Buffalo as the rightful name rather than give people an opportunity to start identifying it with another city name.

As for teams ahead of the Bills...San Diego got "jobbed" in Denver and let an early game against the Panthers slip away, but they're still a damn good team. I also think that Tennessee is a pretty balanced and impressive team that showed it can play with marginal QB play as well as all of the other QB distractions it's dealt with VY's circumstances.

Again, thanks for the response.

Regards,

Tim McDonell

A nice response from a guy who is out of touch with the issues, and the agreement. His minimal understanding, and knee-jerk reaction, is pretty typical of those who have paid less-than-close attention to the goings on surrounding the Toronto marketing strategy.

But, even someone who doesn't understand (or believe) the outlined reasons, and conditions, for the TO experiment, should be aware that Toronto doesn't even support its own football Argos. And, according to the reports following the Bills preseaon game in Toronto, a great many of the seats were filled by those who received free tickets (sales for that game, a miserable failure, from what I understand).

If you really want to stop this guy or any writer, it is possible there are actual legal grounds to press charges against this guy and every one of us could be intitled to sue for damages.

Get legal representation to contact this fella, or possibly a represenative from the Buffalo Bills organization and tell this writer that we will seek legal represenation if it ever happens again and also, we want a formal apology in writting on his next column.

You mean I could get sued every time I type "New Jersey Jets" or refer to NE* as "The Cheatriots*"????