Emmit laughs at Bills

Let's face it, guys -- the majority of star players who move to the broadcast booth don't put the work into truly analyzing the league.

I'll be more specific.

Faulk, Smith, Barber...

RUNNING BACKS invariably make lousy analysts - really they are just backing up their trend of getting the lowest wonderlic scores every year in the draft. All I can figure about Mike Golic is that he must have played RB as a kid... :thumbsup:

On the other hand, QB's and O-Linemen are usually pretty good - and - hey - don't they get the best wonderlic's every year?

(and NO, this is not a race thing!)

I'm not sure why the studios haven't clued into the fact that not all players can contribute anything in the booth.

Coaches, btw, are often a mixed bag, because too many take the game too seriously and/or are unwilling to offend anyone.

Best color commentator in recent memory - Troy Aikman

Worst color commentator in recent memory - Bill Walsh

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if anyone else saw the segment with Stuartt Scott, Steve Young, and Emmit after the game tonight. When asked if the Bills were for real Emmit basically laughed and acted like we are horrible. Claimed that the Raiders are terrible at best and Buffalo has played no one this year. He made it sound like we'll probably finish about 4-12 this year. Of course when talking about the Cowboys he started beaming and all but awarded them the Lombardi trophy.

Not surprising at all... and I think we're all in agreement that Emmit sucks as an analyst, but all the same... what a MAROON!

Because he gave an opinion it doesn't make him an idiot or a moron. I, like most of us disagree but honestly our view is as slanted as his.

I'll be more specific.

Faulk, Smith, Barber...

RUNNING BACKS invariably make lousy analysts - really they are just backing up their trend of getting the lowest wonderlic scores every year in the draft. All I can figure about Mike Golic is that he must have played RB as a kid... :thumbsup:

On the other hand, QB's and O-Linemen are usually pretty good - and - hey - don't they get the best wonderlic's every year?

I think you see a lot of QBs, linemen, and coaches become analysts because they have to know a lot about the game. QBs & coaches for obvious reasons, but linemen will make audibles at the line, which requires them to know what play is being called and give a quick read of what the defense is lined up to do.

I agree that Aikman is easily one of the best player-turned-into-analysts that I've ever seen.

Jags looked pretty OK in running over, thru and around the Colts yesterday...

I was thinking the same thing...Funny how they were the broken down, injury decimated Jags the week before...The Jags proved in Indy they ain't dead yet...And The Bills beat a pretty decent Team in Jacksonville...On the Road in that heat...Because The Bills are a pretty decent Team themselves...And The Seahawks are not exactly The Sisters Of The Poor either...The Raiders looked REAL bad in Week #1...But no one can tell Me that Team does not have talent, especially on Defense...Now...I'm not saying The Bills have played the toughest Schedule to date...But it's not like they played KC, The Rams, and The Lions so far either... :thumbsup:

I think it was Steve Mariucci on NFLN who said yesterday he believes the Bills are legitimate contenders in the AFC, in large part because of their consecutive 4th-quarter comebacks. Mooch opined that because they are so young and yet were able to produce those comebacks, it will only inspire greater confidence as the season progresses.

Mooch gave us props after our Jax win also. Something to the effect of "there is something special in Buffalo. They have a good HC surrounded by other good coaches and they are building something over there ..."

Of course when talking about the Cowboys he started beaming and all but awarded them the Lombardi trophy.

Homer or not, you'd be hard-pressed to find any analyst who wouldn't say the Cowboys are the best team in the league right now. That doesn't mean anything for early February, but if the Super Bowl was this week, they'd be favored over anybody.

Frankly, I'm a little scared of them.

Homer or not, you'd be hard-pressed to find any analyst who wouldn't say the Cowboys are the best team in the league right now. That doesn't mean anything for early February, but if the Super Bowl was this week, they'd be favored over anybody.

Frankly, I'm a little scared of them.

PU$$Y

Thankfully this isn't college football where strength of schedule and writers/analyists opinions of how good a teams are matter. The Bills can only play who the NFL puts in front of them. If they win enough games they go to the playoffs no matter what the talking heads think.

PU$$Y

They look legit in all phases, and have beat two likely NFC playoff participants on national TV- including winning in Lambeau for the first time ever- and went on the road in week 1 and manhandled a Cleveland team who had high expectations.

It's a long season, and they play in the best division, and I hate them with a passion, but they appear to be the truth.

oh emmit, how i still loathe thee

I have to say I'm still not convinced the bills are an elite team in the league, but that doesn't mean they won't have a good record this year. They are a young team and will the the product of their schedule. However, I can only see potential because of this! A young team racking up wins, building confidence, developing a feel for one another... by the end of the year, they have the potential to look like the elites.

For now, lets face it, the teams they have played are a combined 3-6. Not all that impressive as numbers go. I'd like to see more of a quality win at home against a totally dysfunctional Oakland team, and hope to see that next step this week against an even worse St. Louis team. It feels weird to say it, but playing against a seemingly improved Arizona team will be a good test for the team just before the bye week. It may be a good indicator as to what the Bills will be able to due for a tougher second half of the season.

Is it good for anyone else to be able to complain about the quality of the win?

Yes Emmitt is an idiot. But did anyone see at Halftime fo the MNF game they did one of their US wide polls "Will the Bills make the playoffs?" 49 states said yes, Hippie ass Vermont was undecided, and an overwhelming 74% answered yes.

Who could have guessed that an random American knows more about Football?

I'd like to see more of a quality win at home against a totally dysfunctional Oakland team, and hope to see that next step this week against an even worse St. Louis team. It feels weird to say it, but playing against a seemingly improved Arizona team will be a good test for the team just before the bye week. It may be a good indicator as to what the Bills will be able to due for a tougher second half of the season.

Is it good for anyone else to be able to complain about the quality of the win?

I think the Oak win was pretty quality. Its always a dangerous spot when a young team is SUPPOSED to win. It's easy to play the "No one believes in us" card and motivate yourselves against playoff teams like Seattle or Jax. But when you are the decided favorite, and everyone is picking you to win 34-13, it puts some extra pressure on a team not used to being in that spot.

The Bills played the first 3 quarters like they could just show up and beat the Raiders. That doesn't happen against ANY professional team. It's not like LSU just showing up and beating Ole Miss based on talent alone. That doesn't fly in the NFL. Its nice that the Bills were able to learn that lesson AND still get a win...It's a good opportunity for the coaching staff to reinforce that they haven't done anything yet, and nobody is going to lay down for them.

As for the wins, they beat a banged up Seahawks team and a banged up Jax team. However, I don't recall ANYBODY apologizing to the Bills last year when they beat us while we were missing 6 or 7 starters. I don't recall Denver or Dallas apologizing for winning on the last kick of the game. It's nice to be on the other side of those things this year.

To steal a quote from a fat, surly, old man: "You are what your record says you are." They are 3-0.

Because he gave an opinion it doesn't make him an idiot or a moron. I, like most of us disagree but honestly our view is as slanted as his.

No, but what makes him an idiot is the fact that he's an nfl analyst and never gives any specific analysis. You can tell the guys who watch the film and break it down (Collinsowrth, Marriucci, Tom Jackson), and the guys who just watch the highlights of a few games and wing it (Emmit Smith, Marshall Faulk). I can't stand the guys who have the best job in the world (to watch football) and won't even do it. It is good to see that the guys who have watched more than 1 or 2 plays of bills football this year like the team.