special teams outplayed

Lothar

Perhaps this can be read as a positive thread about our offense and defense because it used to be the only way we win a game was dominating this aspect of the game. But I do think maybe all that "we have the best special teams unit" talk went to the heads of the young kids. We got severely outplayed in the Raider game and maybe came close to even at best against Jacksonville. I love Bobby April but this was really a poor performance all the way around, from coverage to penalties to decision making. Especially since field position dictated the whole tone of the first half. I had thought Moorman was the AFC's best punter in years past but perhaps I really haven't given Lechler as much credit as he deserves. And while I love the way Lindell handles pressure, the fat one is probably a better kicker overall.

Against the more formidable teams in the league, we're gonna need this unit's A game.

It's been a long time since I've said we won a game despite our special teams performance so I'll take it as a glass half full sign. :w00t:

I totally agree. That's what bothered me most about the game. On top of our coverage being bad, our blocking was worse. I know that Lechler is a very good punter, but Roscoe had to fair catch the first 3-4 punts because the Raiders gunners were a foot away from him when the ball came down. Roscoe was a non-factor in the punting game, which is a HUGE plus for us. It puts us in much better field position and even if we don't get far, we can pin the opposing team down as well. That being said, we have an exceptional unit, and I feel like April will get them straightened out

We were pinned back inside our 10 every time it seemed. Thier P was great.

McLovin should have had a TD but he was ran down by a fat K I don't know why he didn't try to power over him or do a quick cut.

Agreed. I thought if he cut back to the left he would certainly have taken it to the house. That being said, he looks as if he's the real deal returning kicks, he just needs to make smarter moves. I remember in one preseason game he cut the wrong way on a return he would have scored on as well. Not sure he's the sharpest tool in the shed. As long as he can return kicks well, we can rest McGee, and he can work on getting his defensive game without the pressure of starting

I totally agree. That's what bothered me most about the game. On top of our coverage being bad, our blocking was worse. I know that Lechler is a very good punter, but Roscoe had to fair catch the first 3-4 punts because the Raiders gunners were a foot away from him when the ball came down. Roscoe was a non-factor in the punting game, which is a HUGE plus for us. It puts us in much better field position and even if we don't get far, we can pin the opposing team down as well. That being said, we have an exceptional unit, and I feel like April will get them straightened out

umm, 'splain this....

Lindell's clutch FG won the game. Lindell's kick off late went deep into the endzone so it wasn't run out, which could have been huge, not to mentioned saved some time off the clock. Leodis could have gone all the way. Lecher is one of the best in the league. Yes, the Raiders had a little advantage because their punter was awesome but we weren't so bad.

Lindell has now made 10-11 GW kicks, 42 in a row under 40 yards (tied for most in the league) and is 67th all-time in NFL scoring, and far from done.

That isn't on the return unit. When the league's best punter is punting from his own 40 yard line, you're usually not going to get a return. Thats just the way it is. Its got nothing to do with blocking, unless you think we should have dragged their gunners to the turf to stop them from running under the kick.

The gunner on Oakland #33 was beating the double team all day on punts. I noticed on the last punt they put one of our guys closer to Roscoe to block that SOB and Roscoe was actually able to field the ball and gain some yards. If someone has a tape of the game it would be interesting to see who was attempting to block this guy.

Lindell's clutch FG won the game. Lindell's kick off late went deep into the endzone so it wasn't run out, which could have been huge, not to mentioned saved some time off the clock. Leodis could have gone all the way. Lecher is one of the best in the league. Yes, the Raiders had a little advantage because their punter was awesome but we weren't so bad.

The sun doesn't come out unless there's something to Monday Morning QB around here.

The sun doesn't come out unless there's something to Monday Morning QB around here.

yes because posts that aren't only happy-happy-joy-joy after a win can really mess up an addled brain. Hey I loved the way we won but this was simply a comment on a poor performance by a perceived strength of the team. Lindell was certainly clutch at the end and had one good kickoff but not recognizing the overall failings in coverage and decision-making is vacuous.