TRENT EDWARDS

RayFinkle

He stood in the pocket on the Parrish TD pass and got HAMMERED. It took alot of poise and guts to do that.

CBS showed him on the bench afterward shaking out the cobwebs...and as soon as he got his bearings he was up on his feet telling his teammates, "We can do this! Let's go!"

To me, Trent became THE MAN right then and there.

I already have a ton of faith in Edwards. The kid has a ton of heart and a world of talent. He's much better than he was last year. I almost expected him to pull this off, and I never really thought we were going to lose, even with six minutes left.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deferring is the smart move. It gives you the chance of getting an extra possession over the course of the game. It’s also a smart move in terms of momentum in my book as the D is the stronger untit of the two. Let them come out and set the tone for the Bills.

Agreed, if I was the head coach I would defer every single time I won the toss.

Starting the second half with the ball is extremely vital.

.Great Receivers tend to be good blockers downfield and show an allaround effort..

That eliminates Randy Moss then. :thumbsup:

I guess we will just disagree, on Evans, then. BTW, there have been plenty of great smaller WRs, IMO. Marvin Harrison is fantastic...no? 2" taller but 15 pounds lighter than Evans.

I would argue that Reed (like Evans) was a great WR when he hit the NFL. They both played in bad offenses, though, and that limited their contribution. Evans does everything a great WR does...he just hasn't had as many opportunities as the others you mention. WR's can't get the ball to themselves. They have to be evaluated in the context of the offense.

That's reasonable -- certainly very few football players perform at a superior level without a supporting cast, but it remains to be seen how Evans performs with this improved version of the offense and reaches his potential. Right now he's playing ok, but not lighting it up so far this year. Hopefully he'll become more dominant as the year progresses.

Trent is showing that even without great arm strength that between the ears he is clearly a great ( yes I will use that word ) player. I would love for crisper passing and play early on but this guy doesnt quit and clearly is developing into a very special QB.

He has the "IT" all great QB's have had.

Edwards is getting VERY good very quickly. He's already in the top 15 I would say. He still, however, needs to learn how to throw the ball downfield. If he does, he could be great. He had two long balls today and both were horrible throws. He had Josh open deep and overthrew by 5 yards. He had Evans open deep and under-threw by 5-10 yards. The third was a penalty. If he gets that part of his game down, and I believe he can, he is going to be in the upper echelon of QBs quick.

Re overthrowing/underthrowing, remember that he's throwing to a spot. From the look on his face after the Reed throw, he knew he threw it too soon. The trouble is, he had to throw it when he did -- otherwise, he probably would have been sacked. He was under extreme duress on the throw to Evans as well.

As an aside, while I was not impressed by the Raiders' passing game at all, I was very impressed with the team overall, particularly the defensive talent. When fully manned (which they weren't by the end of the game), they can flat out bring it.

That eliminates Randy Moss then. :thumbsup:

I guess we will just disagree, on Evans, then. BTW, there have been plenty of great smaller WRs, IMO. Marvin Harrison is fantastic...no? 2" taller but 15 pounds lighter than Evans.

LOL..Thats why he wasnt included..That and he is a quitter....On a side note did you see the hit poz put on bush in the 3rd qtr..OMG..Our seats were 17 rows up and i heard the pop of the pads even through the crowd...

LOL..Thats why he wasnt included..That and he is a quitter....On a side note did you see the hit poz put on bush in the 3rd qtr..OMG..Our seats were 17 rows up and i heard the pop of the pads even through the crowd...

Saw it, but didn't hear it in the bar. Nice, though :thumbsup:

Football is time based, not possession based. I really have no idea what that could mean. That just can't be the right explanation.

I do think it is an advantage to start with the D in the first half, and the O in the second half, though.

If you defer do you get to choose which end you want to defend? If you do choose...you should see plenty of deferrals in Buffalo. In bad weather having the wind in the 4th is big.

Bottom line is, there are few people who TODAY think JP should be the starter. But there are many people (myself included) who think he will someday be a very good QB (Minnesota...?)

Are you saying that some people think JP should be the starter over Trent Edwards??

If so, who?

I think eventually JP could be a starter somewhere once he learns better pocket presence and doesn't bail immediately afer he feels a little pressure. Also he needs to learn how to throw the short pass more effectively (10yds or less)

Guest dog14787
'Nuff said.

The people who still want JP to start. There aren't a lot of them but they do exist. As far as mentioning him in this thread it was the excitement of the moment.

Chances are JP probably doesn't even read the thread though. :thumbsup:

its easy to fly off at the, well fingers, when your excited, no big deal, do it all the time. :lol:

Truth of the matter is though, JP's a touchy subject, lots of folks around here realize JP's career was badly mishandled. Yet through it all JP conducted himself in a professional manner. JP's a team player, he's a Buffalo Bill and he deserves our support the same as every other player on our team. :P

I already have a ton of faith in Edwards. The kid has a ton of heart and a world of talent. He's much better than he was last year. I almost expected him to pull this off, and I never really thought we were going to lose, even with six minutes left.

I wasn't worried at all, until the Higgins TD. Then, after I realized how much time there was, and after the offense started to drive, once again, I regained my confidence.

I speed read through this thread so I might have missed someone saying the same thing, but I think the crappy first three quarters were the classic letdown for a young team coming off a big, character-building road victory. In fact, I wouldn't have been all that surprised (depressed like a good native Buffalonian, but not surprised) if they lost today. They'd still be a good football team, perhaps third level down: the elite like Dallas are on top, then there's a few just below them and, with this victory, that's where I think Buffalo is, rather than a step below that - if any of that makes sense (been a loooooong day).

Also, I disagree with a few of the posters regarding the coaching. I thought it was solid. The kickoff/punt coverage teams are clearly missing that core group we let go in the last couple of years, but they'll be back. Bobby April is just too good. And as for Jauron, I thought he did a good job. There's only so much a head coach can do. He can't play the game for his players.

Speaking of coaching, while I think the rumors about Al Davis thinking about firing Lane Kiffin just show how off-his-rocker Davis is, Kiffin made some HUGE mistakes at the end in regard to clock management. He'll no doubt get better as he develops as a coach, but he clearly has a way to go.

Re overthrowing/underthrowing, remember that he's throwing to a spot. From the look on his face after the Reed throw, he knew he threw it too soon. The trouble is, he had to throw it when he did -- otherwise, he probably would have been sacked. He was under extreme duress on the throw to Evans as well.

As an aside, while I was not impressed by the Raiders' passing game at all, I was very impressed with the team overall, particularly the defensive talent. When fully manned (which they weren't by the end of the game), they can flat out bring it.

I don't agree at all. He's throwing to a spot based on when he sees the man open and when he releases the ball and who it is he's throwing to at that half-second. It's not a pre-determined spot like he's going to throw to the 25 yard line at a specific time. Both plays he looked, spotted the receiver, set and threw. Yes, he had pressure in his face on the Evans throw but he simply woefully under-threw him. He did it twice last week, too. Both plays were either long completions or TDs. He doesn't gauge deep balls or the speed of his receivers all that well yet. But it's something that can be learned. He's a helluva young quarterback though. I'm lovin' this guy's game.

Trent Edwards has'nt started 16 games in the NFL yet! Are you kidding me, he is awesome!!!!!

I think that's the consensus. He is way outperforming his experience. I don't think you will get an argument about that.

Guest dog14787
I don't agree at all. He's throwing to a spot based on when he sees the man open and when he releases the ball and who it is he's throwing to at that half-second. It's not a pre-determined spot like he's going to throw to the 25 yard line at a specific time. Both plays he looked, spotted the receiver, set and threw. Yes, he had pressure in his face on the Evans throw but he simply woefully under-threw him. He did it twice last week, too. Both plays were either long completions or TDs. He doesn't gauge deep balls or the speed of his receivers all that well yet. But it's something that can be learned. He's a helluva young quarterback though. I'm lovin' this guy's game.

He's got game thats for sure, pretty impressive stuff, 3-0 for a 2nd year QB who seems light years beyond his experience. You know he will only get better, WOW!!