Silver & Black Report:

scribo

Maybe I'm losing my hearing in my "old" age, but I swear I heard Trent Dilfer say last night on Monday Night Countdown that he thought Kiflen was one of the best coaches in the league or something to that effect. :lol:

Adam Schein, on Sirius NFL radio, also said the same thing today.

Unless Barack Obama or Sarah Palin put in a bid to buy out Ralph Wilson, I am utterly uninterested in hearing either of their names on this board.

Hear, hear.

(Or reading them, as the case may be.)

Al Davis = coach killer.

PTR

Davis is an excellent example of an owner thinking that he and not the coach is the reason for his team's success. He caught lightning in a bottle giving a young unknown coordinator (John Madden) the HC job in 1969, and then again with Tom Flores, and keeps trying to repeat it. That and his belief that young coaches will be easier to control has seriously messed up that franchise. Take away the good years of 2001-2002, and the Raiders have been stumbling for at least a decade....

Could not have happened to a nicer guy. :lol:

politics [/]

Hasn't happened yet, as far as I can tell. Still early on the west coast, though.

I haven't seen it yet just checked ESPN site.

They're credentialed with the team, so I'm assuming there's some fire underneath the smoke.

And Davis loves Ryan, as do his players. This move would definitely put a charge into their defense.

I guess we'll see. Al had to go to this guy, IIRC, because nobody else would work for him.

Why, do you suppose, didn't he make Ryan HC from the get-go (or make the change in the offseason)?

Cheap! And people call RW cheap. :lol:

No news on an actual firing yet per any national sources, but, too many sources have said he will be fired.

Per PFT ( http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/ )

"The last straw had nothing to do with wins or losses. Gay predicts that owner Al Davis will seize upon Kiffin’s blame-shifting from last Wednesday regarding the team’s defensive performance in Week One as proof of insubordination, which then will justify firing Kiffin and not buying out the balance of his contract."

My guess it will be either this week or next week. Kinda tough to fire a coach after a win. But if he uses insubordination as the reason he can do it whenever. Also, if it's insubordination he does not have to pay the contract, although it is kinda tough to prove insubordination (see John Butler versus Ralph Wilson).

Hope it is not this week , don't need to give the Raiders any motivation.

For something that has, supposedly, already been decided it should be done.

I'm not suggesting that it won't be done, either. But, I wonder if this was leaked to get reaction, or simply to try to figure out who is loyal to Al.

Davis is an excellent example of an owner thinking that he and not the coach is the reason for his team's success. He caught lightning in a bottle giving a young unknown coordinator (John Madden) the HC job in 1969, and then again with Tom Flores, and keeps trying to repeat it. That and his belief that young coaches will be easier to control has seriously messed up that franchise. Take away the good years of 2001-2002, and the Raiders have been stumbling for at least a decade....

Could not have happened to a nicer guy. :thumbsup:

Davis lost his mind a long time ago. He's an embarrassment for the NFL. Can't be a worse team in all of professional sports of which to be the coach.