Silver & Black Report:

scribo

http://www.sbreport.net/raider_news/008/404.html

As first reported on SBReport earlier today, the Oakland Raiders will promote defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to head coach after severing ties with Lane Kiffin.

Ryan, 45, becomes the 17th head coach in Silver & Black history, and the sixth head coach since the decade began. The fiery coordinator interviewed for the job in 2007, after the firing of Art Shell, but Oakland went with the young assistant from USC, telling Ryan in the process that he would make a good coach in the league in the near future.

After the 2-14 season in 2006, Ryan’s stock was on the rise, as his pass defense and enthusiastic unit was the lone bright spot. But in subsequent seasons, his defense took a step back with a roster full of high draft picks.

He will take over for Kiffin, who was in a tumultuous relationship with Al Davis during his 21-months on the job. The owner reportedly drafted a letter of resignation for Kiffin, attempting to force the offensive minded coach out of his deal when things began to sour.

Please take this with a disclaimer from me: I am not sure of the validity of this Web site. I posted it because as an FYI as the Raider fan boards are linking to this, as well.....

Kiffin was never ready to be a head coach in the NFL. He was a coordinator for a college team and never a head coach at any level. His dad should've gotten a head coaching job before him.

But, this was all Kiffin's fault. He wanted the job and took less money and less power to get it. Now, he's effed.

Kiffin was never ready to be a head coach in the NFL. He was a coordinator for a college team and never a head coach at any level. His dad should've gotten a head coaching job before him.

But, this was all Kiffin's fault. He wanted the job and took less money and less power to get it. Now, he's effed.

Bingo. Same thing with Zorn is Washington. These guys who jump into jobs they aren't really ready for a short-sighted and dooming themselves.

Maybe I'm losing my hearing in my "old" age, but I swear I heard Trent Dilfer say last night on Monday Night Countdown that he thought Kiflen was one of the best coaches in the league or something to that effect. :lol:

He did.

Everyone else on the set did their impression of the :lol: when he said it.

I heard something on a sports radio talk show that Rob Ryan was going to Al Davis behind Kiffins back and really bashing the guy.....

I'm sure Ryan's players like him, just like the defensive players liked his Dad. But, to be honest, he seems like a douchebag who would go behind the HC's back, to the owner.

http://www.sbreport.net/raider_news/008/404.html

Please take this with a disclaimer from me: I am not sure of the validity of this Web site. I posted it because as an FYI as the Raider fan boards are linking to this, as well.....

They're credentialed with the team, so I'm assuming there's some fire underneath the smoke.

And Davis loves Ryan, as do his players. This move would definitely put a charge into their defense.

They're credentialed with the team, so I'm assuming there's some fire underneath the smoke.

And Davis loves Ryan, as do his players. This move would definitely put a charge into their defense.

Why, do you suppose, didn't he make Ryan HC from the get-go (or make the change in the offseason)?

Why, do you suppose, didn't he make Ryan HC from the get-go (or make the change in the offseason)?

He tried, remember? That whole "asking for Kiffin's resignation" deal? But when Lane told him to stuff it, guess he was too cheap to pull the trigger and pay off the rest of the contract.

That outstanding one-liner you used in another thread -- dementia meeting egomania -- sums it up perfectly, I think.

He tried, remember? That whole "asking for Kiffin's resignation" deal? But when Lane told him to stuff it, guess he was too cheap to pull the trigger and pay off the rest of the contract.

That outstanding one-liner you used in another thread -- dementia meeting egomania -- sums it up perfectly, I think.

Ah, yes, I remember that. Well, maybe he's too cheap to make the move, now. Perhaps Al will just have him whacked. That should solve that problem.