Buffalo Winters...

Marv Levy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I get all the hysteria. I lived on the coast of Florida for a few years and dealt with multiple hurricanes in the 2-3 category range. It was pretty intense, and at times scary, but all this "certain death" talk they are playing up on the news seems like a bit of a stretch. What is so big about this cat 2 hurricane?

I'm not sure I get all the hysteria. I lived on the coast of Florida for a few years and dealt with multiple hurricanes in the 2-3 category range. It was pretty intense, and at times scary, but all this "certain death" talk they are playing up on the news seems like a bit of a stretch. What is so big about this cat 2 hurricane?

24/7 media need something to hype

I just can't believe the morons (aka interns) that the networks get to stand out in the blow - reporting ??

The one dude kept holding that microphone cord - I doubt he was grounded - Darwin material right there (LIGHTNING STRIKE ANYONE ?)

Its humongous, taking up half the gulf of mexico, almost as big as the state of Texas and is bringing walls of water 20-25 feet tall crashing down on the coastline...other than that...nothing really...

Apparently it must be a pretty big deal since one of the meteorologists at the weather channel was saying this storm could be catastrophic and in some ways as bad as Katrina was...

At least with a hurricane you can have a story to tell. What is there to say about lake effect except talking about the time you spun out?

Are you kidding me? I don't know about you, but I have a number of interesting blizzard stories, to tell. I LOVE major snow storms!

Are you kidding me? I don't know about you, but I have a number of interesting blizzard stories, to tell. I LOVE major snow storms!

Blizzard of '85 - at Slomba's (Fillmore Ave) was that you or Hogboy ? Some similarity there

We had to shovel the street for a diaper and beer run :nana:

Sign of the time - Blizzard of '77 was just for beer and smokes - no diapers yet :nana:

I'm sorry, but upstate NY winters suck. That's why I moved to LA. I'll take earthquakes, fires, mudslides, and traffic any day over gray skies and cold from October to May.

They do suck....but some of the best summers in the country, and THE best festivals in the country make up for it...

besides....you might change your mind when you wake up in the middle of the night riding your bed down the side of a cliff!

Blizzard of '85 - at Slomba's (Fillmore Ave) was that you or Hogboy ? Some similarity there

We had to shovel the street for a diaper and beer run :nana:

Sign of the time - Blizzard of '77 was just for beer and smokes - no diapers yet :nana:

I have a great '77 story, and many great Slomba experiences...but, I don't think the '85 blizzard/Slombas story is mine. I have a pretty good '85 blizzard/mushrooms/CPG story, though.

The thing about Slombas was, I remember going there a lot, but have very few memories of leaving the place.

Yeah, but every once in a while she gives you one of

Beautiful!

But, did she say something like "Anybody ignoring the warnings may face certain death"?

MAY face CERTAIN death...WOW! If you go outside you might be certainly killed...but, just maybe.

Beautiful!

But, did she say something like "Anybody ignoring the warnings may face certain death"?

MAY face CERTAIN death...WOW! If you go outside you might be certainly killed...but, just maybe.

Exactly what she said. Station I listened to on the way home pointed out the same thing. Certain possible death. :nana:

Exactly what she said. Station I listened to on the way home pointed out the same thing. Certain possible death. :nana:

It's kinda like when McCain's little a$$boy, Lindsey Graham, said,"It has been proven the Saddam may have had WMD" :nana:

Anyway...as someone who was rescued by boat from my front porch last year, give me a blizzard ANYDAY.

Its humongous, taking up half the gulf of mexico, almost as big as the state of Texas and is bringing walls of water 20-25 feet tall crashing down on the coastline...other than that...nothing really...

Apparently it must be a pretty big deal since one of the meteorologists at the weather channel was saying this storm could be catastrophic and in some ways as bad as Katrina was...

And the city of Galveston is something like 19 ft above seal level at its highest point. A hurricane hit on 9/8/1900. About 6000 died.

And the city of Galveston is something like 19 ft above seal level at its highest point. A hurricane hit on 9/8/1900. About 6000 died.

1900 - Before any kind of modern protection - no foundation - no building codes - no warning

2008 - Post Modernization - Major Building Restrictions and Safety Features - WARNINGS FOR DAYS!!

Post when you have substance. Media is probably over-hyping the situation, like it did with Katrina. Look beyond the obvious and why problems happen. Poor local governmental structure to help alleviate problems in New Orleans for years and years knowing that the problems existed. No structure to help with evacuations all add up to hundreds dead. At least Galveston knows its coming and will be leaving the same day. Prepare and move on.