Gas? Seriously?

mcjeff215

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My poker dealer was saying that gas was going up to $6 a gallon by monday. Of course, everyone at the table freaked, I tried to explain that no natural disaster could drive the price up 50%, the dealer insisted it was already 5.29 in Michigan, he knew a guy who knew a guy.

Sigh

He was a poker dealer. Probably had a pretty good poker face.

The one barrier oil companies/speculators have on raising prices is that if they raise them too much, people will stop using their product. This has to come from finding alternate means of travel (car pooling, bikes, etc...) or new technologies (hybrids or alternate sources of power). The fact that people are going so nuts about fuel prices is a good thing, it will force them to use less of it and in turn make costs go down.

In the mean time, blaming the oil companies for making a profit is kind of absurd.

Here's an article from 2007, predicting the shortfall in gasoline tax revenues due to less demand, and noting that the Feds and the States are going to grab back your savings via increased taxation.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274113,00.html

I'd add the obvious - that as any businesses' profits rise, so does government's tax revenue.

Here's an article from 2007, predicting the shortfall in gasoline tax revenues due to less demand, and noting that the Feds and the States are going to grab back your savings via increased taxation.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274113,00.html

I'd add the obvious - that as any businesses' profits rise, so does government's tax revenue.

I know, I know... The whole tax grab and what not. But, think about it Cincy... Just look at Hurricane Ike... Could any other country pull it off like we do? Sure we have our Katrina's what not.

We are stil the greatest country on earth... And in the last 80 or so years, even with the expansion of gov't, we are able to absorb the shocks be it natural or man induced.

Do we really want to go back to pre-1929 days?

I know, I know... The whole tax grab and what not. But, think about it Cincy... Just look at Hurricane Ike... Could any other country pull it off like we do? Sure we have our Katrina's what not.

We are stil the greatest country on earth... And in the last 80 or so years, even with the expansion of gov't, we are able to absorb the shocks be it natural or man induced.

Do we really want to go back to pre-1929 days?

You're making a tremendous leap far off-topic here. I realize that increased government revenues are in your personal pecuniary interest, right? :thumbsup:

You're making a tremendous leap far off-topic here. I realize that increased government revenues are in your personal pecuniary interest, right? :lol:

No. Not in my personal interest... It is free to use the river and the locks... You want to know why it is free? Because dating back to the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 where the precedent was set that the MI and all its tributaries shall forever be free. So no, increase gov't revenues aren't that important to me... Just important to the infrastructure of the country... I would still be making the same dime no matter what.

Now, just IMO... You know why the SeaWay goes through Welland and Canada?... Not one through BFLO... If they ever historically decided to dig a canal through WNY... Guess what?... That would have to have been free of toll also... No?

Wow... That is a novel concept... Gov't intervention since 1787!

:thumbsup::lol:

This is just stupid.... I went to fill a prescription today and one of the two stations I passed that actually had gas? The line backed up out of the parking lot and down the road. Is this happening anywhere else? Or is this just an Atlanta thing?

It'd be nice to knock on each window in succession and just B word slap each driver.

This is just stupid.... I went to fill a prescription today and one of the two stations I passed that actually had gas? The line backed up out of the parking lot and down the road. Is this happening anywhere else? Or is this just an Atlanta thing?

It'd be nice to knock on each window in succession and just B word slap each driver.

Just by you/ I guess. I'm in Cali- gas went down 2 more cents this weekend to $3.67.

No. Gas is under 4 bucks where I live. I suppose just the South... 'Bout time, weren't they having the cheapest gas for a long time? :devil::huh: