some food for thought about opening day victories

dave mcbride

2002: Opening day loss on final play - Bills end up 8-8, a five-victory improvement from the previous season.

2003: Opening day blowout victory - Bills end up 6-10 and running to the bus as fast as they can.

2004: Opening day loss on final play - Bills end up 9-7, three victories better than the previous season.

2005: Opening day easy victory - Bills end up 5-11 and running to the bus as fast as they can.

2006: Opening day close loss to Pats - Bills end up 7-9 with a nice run at the end of the season.

2007: Opening day loss on final play - Bills end up 7-9 again but possessing a good deal of promise at season's end.

2008: Opening day blowout victory.

2002: Opening day loss on final play - Bills end up 8-8, a five-victory improvement from the previous season.

2003: Opening day blowout victory - Bills end up 6-10 and running to the bus as fast as they can.

2004: Opening day loss on final play - Bills end up 9-7, three victories better than the previous season.

2005: Opening day easy victory - Bills end up 5-11 and running to the bus as fast as they can.

2006: Opening day close loss to Pats - Bills end up 7-9 with a nice run at the end of the season.

2007: Opening day loss on final play - Bills end up 7-9 again but possessing a good deal of promise at season's end.

Excellent recent history. Here's a somewhat contrary thought. Since the merger in 1970, when the Bills win their opening game they have made the playoffs all but four times: 1973, 1975, 2000, and 2005. When they have lost their opening game, they have only made the playoffs twice: 1998 and 1999.

Excellent recent history. Here's a somewhat contrary thought. Since the merger in 1970, when the Bills win their opening game they have made the playoffs all but four times: 1973, 1975, 2000, and 2005. When they have lost their opening game, they have only made the playoffs twice: 1998 and 1999.

Now that's the kind of history I like (ancient as opposed to modern)!

So we should have been hoping for a blow out loss?

What sort of gluttons for punishment are we -- in three of the previous six years (before 2008) the Bills lost their opener ON THE FINAL PLAY. All of them were at home, too -- Jets (KO return in OT), Jags (TD pass), Broncos (FG).

Sometimes I really wonder why I invest so much time and energy in this...

What sort of gluttons for punishment are we -- in three of the previous six years (before 2008) the Bills lost their opener ON THE FINAL PLAY. All of them were at home, too -- Jets (KO return in OT), Jags (TD pass), Broncos (FG).

Sometimes I really wonder why I invest so much time and energy in this...

Some questions, my friend, one is better off not asking.

May I suggest instead.... :thumbsup:

Now that's the kind of history I like (ancient as opposed to modern)!

I thought you might find that history a bit more comforting. :wallbash:

I like the old stuff myself.

Another related thought: Of all the seasons in which the Bills have won their opener, they have only failed to have at least a .500 season once, in 2005. Indeed, of the other seasons, only in 2000 did they win the opener and end up only at .500

(By the way, before the merger the only time the Bills won their opener and failed to have a winning season was in 1967, when they beat the Jets two days before I was born as Jack Kemp came off the bench to rally them to victory. Alas, that season went into the proverbial crapper swiftly thereafter....)

So an opening win is traditionally a positive sign, even if it is not a guarantee of a good season.

Cheers, and Go Bills!

:thumbsup:

What was the point of all this?

What was the point of all this?

I think what he was saying was clear: That the nice solid opening day victory may or may not have an affect on the next game, may or may not have anything to do with the season, and may or may not be a harbinger of things to come, good or bad. And that we have had a random series of opening day games, with victories and losses.

I think what he was saying was clear: That the nice solid opening day victory may or may not have an affect on the next game, may or may not have anything to do with the season, and may or may not be a harbinger of things to come, good or bad. And that we have had a random series of opening day games, with victories and losses.

Ah ha!

Well, to go right along with that, I'd love someone to argue the point I made a few days ago: if we don't win on Sunday, it's likely we'll lose. Ties don't happen very often.

Ah ha!

Well, to go right along with that, I'd love someone to argue the point I made a few days ago: if we don't win on Sunday, it's likely we'll lose. Ties don't happen very often.

I just want somebody to tell me how I should feel. Happy? Giddy? Sad? Confident? Nervous?

I just want somebody to tell me how I should feel. Happy? Giddy? Sad? Confident? Nervous?

Oh, most definitely nervous. Or perhaps I'm merely projecting.

I just can't fuggin' wait until Sunday 1300h EDT. I still don't know how I'm going to watch this game over here in Berlin, but GODDAMN IT, I'm going to find a way.

Oh, most definitely nervous. Or perhaps I'm merely projecting.

I just can't fuggin' wait until Sunday 1300h EDT. I still don't know how I'm going to watch this game over here in Berlin, but GODDAMN IT, I'm going to find a way.

Shoot **ggas if necessary~~!!

I thought you might find that history a bit more comforting. :nana:

I like the old stuff myself.

Another related thought: Of all the seasons in which the Bills have won their opener, they have only failed to have at least a .500 season once, in 2005. Indeed, of the other seasons, only in 2000 did they win the opener and end up only at .500

(By the way, before the merger the only time the Bills won their opener and failed to have a winning season was in 1967, when they beat the Jets two days before I was born as Jack Kemp came off the bench to rally them to victory. Alas, that season went into the proverbial crapper swiftly thereafter....)

So an opening win is traditionally a positive sign, even if it is not a guarantee of a good season.

Cheers, and Go Bills!

:nana:

Why do you keep ignoring 2003? I know it was a woefully painful season to live through, but it should account for the stats. Especially that Jax was week 2 opponent, we were riding high on a rebuilt defense anchored by a new DT & LB, still had questions about the running game and the QB.

Ok, I'll stop now.

Why do you keep ignoring 2003? I know it was a woefully painful season to live through, but it should account for the stats. Especially that Jax was week 2 opponent, we were riding high on a rebuilt defense anchored by a new DT & LB, still had questions about the running game and the QB.

Ok, I'll stop now.

And people call ME a pessimist. A 38-17 romp, anyone?