Game to be televised in JAX

WTF is this "sold enough" to be televised? I thought it was plain and simple; if you weren't sold out you either get blacked out or ask for an extension.

That means they have a corporate partner who has already agreed in advance to pony up for anything remaining so long as it's less than a certain number and it may even be contractual. If it's contractual the league has a copy and the Jags just have to show that they sold the number required to activate the contract.

Sickening, isn't it? Cleveland, Baltimore, Oakland and Houston can lose teams, but these clowns are allowed to prop themselves up like that just to ensure that they stay on TV.

Further confirms the sellout "rule" is complete bullstuff.

It's up to the individual team whether a game is soldout or not...the whole "72 hours....75 miles rule" is complete fabrication.

The Bills could sell 10 tickets to the next game and if Ralph declares the game 'sold out,' it's 'sold out,' and on TV.

:cry:

It's up to the individual team whether a game is soldout or not...the whole "72 hours....75 miles rule" is complete fabrication.

The Bills could sell 10 tickets to the next game and if Ralph declares the game 'sold out,' it's 'sold out,' and on TV.

:cry:

I don't think that's the case at all. See my earlier post.

I don't think that's the case at all. See my earlier post.

I hear ya, but I respectfully disagree. Individual teams are the ones who determine whether a game is sold out, and the whole "72 hour" crap is used as both a guideline and a crutch. It's not a hard "rule" or "law" by any means, as witnessed now in Jax.

Last I heard, the finale against NE is the only Buffalo game not deemed 'sold out'...Ralph could declare the game sold out today, ensuring local TV coverage, but still have ducats up on Ticketbastard. So, in this scenario, is the game, by NFL 'standards' sold out? Yes.

Same thing in Jax.

Works for ME! Orlando is subject to the blackout. NOW, I get to watch it at home in full HDTV glory! I can't make it to the game this year ( I went last year...ARGHHH!!!)so this is the next best thing!

J-ville is actually a pretty fun stadium, btw.

GO BILLS!

p.s. First post in a while after lurking for SOME time...

Link

My comment is the first one in there. Jacksonville "fans" are pathetic.

-edit- they deleted my comment. unbelievable.

Someone just responded to you - thinking you were a Philly fan of course...

GoJags4362seats (6 minutes ago) Report Violation

For Falstaff in Philly- Lincoln Financial Field has a seating capacity of 67,594. Even with the seats covered at JMS, the seating capacity is 67,164. Do you get it now or do Jag fans again have to spell it out for uneducated, trash-talking, so-called NFL fans. The city of Jacksonville required that the stadium be built large enough to host the FL/GA game and the Gator Bowl. But that's too big for our market size, so the covers bring the seating capacity in line with the market. Maybe it's even too big, but we've always had to overachieve. Compare the market size of Philly to the market size of J-ville and see the comparable size of our stadiums. J-ville is doing pretty well when you look at it from an educated view instead of a stupid, smack-talk view. I wish ESPN would state these things so Jag fans wouldn't have to all the time.

That means they have a corporate partner who has already agreed in advance to pony up for anything remaining so long as it's less than a certain number and it may even be contractual. If it's contractual the league has a copy and the Jags just have to show that they sold the number required to activate the contract.

Sickening, isn't it? Cleveland, Baltimore, Oakland and Houston can lose teams, but these clowns are allowed to prop themselves up like that just to ensure that they stay on TV.

The Eulers didn't have strong support prior to Bud Adams moving them to the Volunteer State. Unless Pittsburgh or Dallas was coming to town, a local grocery chain routinely bought out the last 4-5k seats. And that's in a stadium that held low 60k for football and w/ a team that went to the playoffs 7(?) consecutive seasons and in the 4th largest city in the US.

I agree w/ you though that it's sad the other cities had to lose teams (at least for a few years).

For Falstaff in Philly- Lincoln Financial Field has a seating capacity of 67,594. Even with the seats covered at JMS, the seating capacity is 67,164. Do you get it now or do Jag fans again have to spell it out for uneducated, trash-talking, so-called NFL fans. The city of Jacksonville required that the stadium be built large enough to host the FL/GA game and the Gator Bowl. But that's too big for our market size, so the covers bring the seating capacity in line with the market. Maybe it's even too big, but we've always had to overachieve. Compare the market size of Philly to the market size of J-ville and see the comparable size of our stadiums. J-ville is doing pretty well when you look at it from an educated view instead of a stupid, smack-talk view. I wish ESPN would state these things so Jag fans wouldn't have to all the time.

Blah, blah, blah. Aside from GoJags' slight geographical error, as usual, he/she/it completely neglected to mention that the "blackout threshold" at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium counts ONLY the 54,000 non-premium seats, NOT the club seats which make up more than 2/3 of the lower bowl.

That's correct, folks. They number they have to hit is 54,000. Almost 19,000 fewer seats than the Ralph, and roughly 2,000 less than Buffalo's season-ticket count for 2008.

If anyone wants to go back over there and "re-educate" the Jaguars fans ... :thumbsup:

My retort. Sure to be deleted again.

For GoJags. Though I live in Philly now I'm an ex-pat Bills fan so your logic loses a little something. While you are correct that Philadelphia's stadium is nominally the same size as yours and the market is bigger they not only fill the stadium but have a season ticket waiting list. That's neither here nor there. The bigger point is that Buffalo has the 6th largest stadium in the league and has consistently filled it with a losing team on the field. Your market size argument is ridiculous. They have absolutely no problem putting 84k into that stadium for Georgia/Florida every year. When you look at it from an educated point of view and realize that the team is very good, the franchise has existed for more than 10 years and they still decrease their own stadium size and still fail to sell out you realize that the team really isn't doing that well. If market size is that big of an issue that we should CONTINUE to give Jacksonville a pass how can Buffalo fill a bigger stadium a week earlier for a West-Coast NFC team without a traveling fan base? How many seats do they cover in New Orleans in order to sell out the Superdome? Surely you won't argue that New Orleans is in a better market position than Jacksonville.

That figures, my wife wanted too go on a cruise and asked me to pick the dates. Well i thought I was outsmarting her by picking this weekend to the Bahamas because every single time the Bills play in Jacs the game is never sold out and it is blacked out here in Orlando. Went one year to the game but it is major travel pain in a@#!They even black it out on the Sunday ticket here. They say they are our local team even though they are more than the 75 miles away. Oh well I guess I'll have to find a tv on the ship and watch it in espanol!!Go Bills and keep taking another step forward!! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Yes and no. Yes, the Bills can at any time declare a game a sell-out, but, and this is the no part, someone has to buy those tickets. Whether it's team sponsers like Time Warner, Frey Electric, or Ralph himself who donates them to charity, the NFL wants their cut, no matter if it's us fans buying them or a corporation doing it for a tax write-off.