Why not have Walker back at RT?

Rubes

I've been kind of wondering this...

Seattle has a pretty mean pass rush, led by left DE Patrick Kerney, who was second in the NFL last year in sacks with 14.5. But he will be lined up across from Kirk Chambers. Langston Walker will be playing across from Seattle's right DE, rookie Lawrence Jackson.

Wouldn't it make more sense to play Walker, the more experienced tackle, at his more comfortable position of RT, against their best DE -- particularly since he'll be moving back to that position again either next week or the week after? Is Chambers so bad on the left side that he would be more of a liability against a rookie DE than against the league's second-leading sacker?

I have a feeling that, if Chambers struggles against Kerney, we might see them move Walker back to his natural RT spot and see if Chambers can handle the rookie.

Am I way off base here?

Seattle has a pretty mean pass rush, led by left DE Patrick Kerney, who was second in the NFL last year in sacks with 14.5. But he will be lined up across from Kirk Chambers. Langston Walker will be playing across from Seattle's right DE, rookie Lawrence Jackson.

Wouldn't it make more sense to play Walker, the more experienced tackle, at his more comfortable position of RT, against their best DE -- particularly since he'll be moving back to that position again either next week or the week after? Is Chambers so bad on the left side that he would be more of a liability against a rookie DE than against the league's second-leading sacker?

I have a feeling that, if Chambers struggles against Kerney, we might see them move Walker back to his natural RT spot and see if Chambers can handle the rookie.

Am I way off base here?

its possible more likely that they stay with the set up now just because they are practicing in those positions for a month

Am I way off base here?

Because it is not a good idea to change O-Line positions on a game to game basis.

Am I way off base here?

No, it makes sense. The thing was we didn't know when Peters was going to report, if ever, so the switch was made. It wasn't a one game deal. Besides, you never see tackles switch sides if a team's best OT plays on the other side of the opponent's best DE.

BTW, has Chambers ever played LT?

Am I way off base here?

Chambers might not have much experience or none at all at RT. They have "some" O-line chemistry right now. Right now is too late to mess with that for the Seattle game. They will test and see if Chambers can somewhat handle Kerney. If he has trouble then they'll just keep Royal on the line to help block.

Chambers might not have much experience or none at all at RT. They have "some" O-line chemistry right now. Right now is too late to mess with that for the Seattle game. They will test and see if Chambers can somewhat handle Kerney. If he has trouble then they'll just keep Royal on the line to help block.

Correction: I meant Chambers might not have much experience or none at all at "LT"

Am I way off base here?

Not off base at all.

I however would opt to keep Walker at LT only because he's been practicing and playing there for the last 5 weeks and a sudden change before the game could cause confusion, likewise for Chambers.

If Chambers sucks up the field though which sadly I expect he very well could be moved to LT, who knows though, maybe Kerney is going to get moved around as well.

Not off base at all.

I however would opt to keep Walker at LT only because he's been practicing and playing there for the last 5 weeks and a sudden change before the game could cause confusion, likewise for Chambers.

If Chambers sucks up the field though which sadly I expect he very well could be moved to LT, who knows though, maybe Kerney is going to get moved around as well.

I'd still think you'd want you premier/best player at the LT position, no? Kerney straight on v. Kerney blind side? Also, I think you gotta dance with who brung ya, good or bad.

Not off base at all.

I'd still think you'd want you premier/best player at the LT position, no? Kerney straight on v. Kerney blind side? Also, I think you gotta dance with who brung ya, good or bad.

Kearney will probably pick up a sack or two (if Buffalo trails a lot), but I'm willing to live with it.

I'll take my chances with an experienced tackle like Walker going against a rookie DE in the running game. That has to be a matchup the Bills like, and they weren't going to want to throw the ball 40 times in the game even if Peters was in, and Kearney was lined up against Walker.

All the reshuffling? Meaning benching some guy who isn't really good, and moving RT Langston Walker to the easier position he played 16 times last year instead of the harder position he doesn't know? And putting a Pro-Bowler at the position he plays well enough to qualify for the pro bowl at?

For as mad as I am at Jason for the distraction and missing the first game, I don't think that putting Chambers at LT for one game after not practicing there makes sense, and I don't think they will have a tough time going back to how things were last year for week 2.

Let's go get the 'hawks with the 53 we have playing where we have been playing them, and then start putting the pieces back where they belong on Monday to be even better for next week.

All the re-shuffling of the line in the next 2-3 weeks is going to wreak havoc. Thanks a lot Jason.

I'll take my chances with an experienced tackle like Walker going against a rookie DE in the running game. That has to be a matchup the Bills like, and they weren't going to want to throw the ball 40 times in the game even if Peters was in, and Kearney was lined up against Walker.

Great point, especially with Derrick Dockery lining up next to him and DT Rocky Bernard out of their line up. We could have some great matchups on the left side of the line in the running game.