Crowell out for Sunday's game...

ricojes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there's no dropoff between Crowell and Ellison :thumbsup:

To each his own. I'm often accused of being overly optimistic, but I haven't fallen into this particular trap of inflating Crowell's abilities beyond what I've seen on the field. To hear some speak he's suddenly an all-pro.

To each his own. I'm often accused of being overly optimistic, but I haven't fallen into this particular trap of inflating Crowell's abilities beyond what I've seen on the field. To hear some speak he's suddenly an all-pro.

I don't care how good or bad you think Crowell is, but whatever he is, he's certainly better than Ellison. I barely saw Ellison in the picture when he was starting.

Honestly, I don't think the dropoff is as severe as you imply. I agree with eBall. Plus, Ellison looked SIGNIFICANTLY more bulked up during preaseaon- something that will bode well.

You guys rag on Ellison because he's tiny, but when I look at Poz, I see a very youthful frame that could also use some bulk. Not as badly as Ellison needed two years ago, but let's call a spade a spade.

Didn't Ellison miss most of last season too?

I agree, Ellison does look much bigger this year.

But Poz? Are you kidding me? He looks like a moose on steroids. Out of curiosity, do you go and watch training camp?

I don't care how good or bad you think Crowell is, but whatever he is, he's certainly better than Ellison. I barely saw Ellison in the picture when he was starting.

What I saw in Ellison was a guy who was usually in position to make the play (and has speed). He unfortunately was dragged by ball carriers a bit too much for my liking, but if he has bulked up that may be less of an issue now.

Isn't Ellison also better than Crowell in pass coverage?

Furthermore, with an improved D-line don't we expect the LBs to be able to pursue ballcarriers more quickly without having to fend off OL blocks at the point of attack? If I understand this defense correctly, it should be a "gang tackle" mentality where a number of defenders arrive at the ball simultaneously.

Anyway, my original point (if I had one) was that the dropoff from Crowell to Ellison isn't huge in my mind.

What I saw in Ellison was a guy who was usually in position to make the play (and has speed). He unfortunately was dragged by ball carriers a bit too much for my liking, but if he has bulked up that may be less of an issue now.

Isn't Ellison also better than Crowell in pass coverage?

Furthermore, with an improved D-line don't we expect the LBs to be able to pursue ballcarriers more quickly without having to fend off OL blocks at the point of attack? If I understand this defense correctly, it should be a "gang tackle" mentality where a number of defenders arrive at the ball simultaneously.

Anyway, my original point (if I had one) was that the dropoff from Crowell to Ellison isn't huge in my mind.

I'm just not a fan of Ellison, and if it were up to me (thank God its not), I'd play DiGiorgio there. But, maybe Ellison's new found strength will make him a better player than before.

I agree, Ellison does look much bigger this year.

But Poz? Are you kidding me? He looks like a moose on steroids. Out of curiosity, do you go and watch training camp?

No, I've never seen the man in person. And I suppose that checks my evaluation, but seriously, what NFL player (kicker/punter excluded) DOESN'T look like a beast when you see them up close?

I didn't just say that I think he looks small to prove a point. I've thought that to myself several times watching him during the preseason.

What is disturbing is the lack of communication between Crowell and the Bills. This came as a surprize to Jauron ? What the hell? They should know everything about each player.

The first reasonable post in this thread. The Bills medical staff has some questions to answer about how they've been monitoring/communicating this situation to the HC.

No, I've never seen the man in person. And I suppose that checks my evaluation, but seriously, what NFL player (kicker/punter excluded) DOESN'T look like a beast when you see them up close?

I didn't just say that I think he looks small to prove a point. I've thought that to myself several times watching him during the preseason.

Keith Ellison!!!

Come on man, you set yourself up for that one lol :thumbsup:

What is disturbing is the lack of communication between Crowell and the Bills. This came as a surprize to Jauron ? What the hell? They should know everything about each player.

Jauron was surprised because he said "Angelo has decided" to have the surgery. I'm guessing the Bills and trainers obviously were monitoring the knee closely, and didn't think it needed a scope, but out of nowhere Angelo decided he wanted the scope, which comes off as a surprise.

Jauron was surprised because he said "Angelo has decided" to have the surgery. I'm guessing the Bills and trainers obviously were monitoring the knee closely, and didn't think it needed a scope, but out of nowhere Angelo decided he wanted the scope, which comes off as a surprise.

Honestly, then, it should not be up to him. A regular employee has to ask his boss for vacation. If he is the last one to ask at Xmas, then if somebody needs to be there to man the fort, he is SOL. Carrying the analogy to this situation, if a medical doctor does not certify that he is unable to perform his duties or will risk further injury unless he has the procedure, then it is up to the team (a.k.a. the boss) to decide if the timing is good

They've Ellison listed at 6' 0" 229.

That seems really small for an NFL linebacker.

It is small, especially with him playing SLB.

As much as Ellison can be a TBD favorite, he's not the answer, and it's amazing that Buffalo lacks size beyond their starting 3 LB's. The backup LB's DiGiorgio, Ellison, and Corto all weigh less than 230. Ellison may be stronger, but weighing 229 isn't going to get it done on the strong side. Depth at LB will be an issue this entire season, just like it was last year.

Honestly, then, it should not be up to him. A regular employee has to ask his boss for vacation. If he is the last one to ask at Xmas, then if somebody needs to be there to man the fort, he is SOL. Carrying the analogy to this situation, if a medical doctor does not certify that he is unable to perform his duties or will risk further injury unless he has the procedure, then it is up to the team (a.k.a. the boss) to decide if the timing is good

I don't know that for sure, just trying to put the pieces together.

This is a little different than a vacation. It is entirely up to the player whether to have surgery or not. A team can not force a player to have it and if a player wants it, the team can not stop him.