Crowell out for Sunday's game...

ricojes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Allow me to be the first to say that I wonder if this has anything to do with his contract situation. He was holding out hope that he and the team could reach an agreement on an extension -- and was willing to put off the surgery until such time. Now that it is apparent that no deal will be reached prior to next off-season, he has decided to take care of numero uno and get the surgery done now -- so as not to aggravate it and fail to cash in on the free agent market.

Allow me to be the first to say that I wonder if this has anything to do with his contract situation. He was holding out hope that he and the team could reach an agreement on an extension -- and was willing to put off the surgery until such time. Now that it is apparent that no deal will be reached prior to next off-season, he has decided to take care of numero uno and get the surgery done now -- so as not to aggravate it and fail to cash in on the free agent market.

cant say i disagree with that

Absolutely correct. This theory is the only way to really explain how this is, as Jauron says, "coming out of the blue".

Team is a nice concept but when livelihoods are on the line, team comes second to looking out for number one apparently.

Then it's a mighty high risk, since he'll be missing a few weeks of the season and probably won't be back to full form until mid-year. If he were really thinking that way, the best thing to do is to come into camp as healthy as possible and have a blow-out contract year.

Bills linebacker Angelo Crowell is out for Sunday's game after deciding to have his knee scoped for a persistent knee problem.

According to head coach Dick Jauron the decision "came out of the blue" as Crowell will have the surgery in the coming days.

"He's out for the game and that's a surprise," said Jauron.

It's not a major reconstructive surgery as the routine scope usually requires a 2-3 week rehab before returning to action.

Jauron said Keith Ellison will step into the starting lineup to fill the void.

Where is your source for this report? I am not finding this anywhere.

whatever. i would do the same thing as him if our management is going to be tightfisted. He's prob going to get it fixed, come back play 8-10 games...play very well..and say f- buffalo, i'm testing FA market. And then, once again, we are left looking to the draft to find a replacement starter. again. so we pick one in 1st round, pay him a ton, and the circle begins again. Crowell has been our one common theme the last several years on defense, and he is a playmaker - not an all star - but a playmaker on a team that has been crappy.

f the Bills front office, I cant deal with them anymore. I'd rather them move with a new owner so we can start keeping our good players instead of having george willsons, keith ellisons, josh reeds, etc etc be our core. You know there is no way in hell that in a perfect world Trent and ML become studs, that we will pay both of them - AND lee evans.

:thumbsup:

Seriously, though - how much did he play and/or participate in the preseason? He (and the training staff/doctors) didn't know a couple weeks ago that this wasn't going to get much better and he was going to eventually need this scoped?

maybe the Bills should have actually played their strarters a little in the pre-season

maybe the Bills should have actually played their strarters a little in the pre-season

I don't think his lack of PT this preseason was due to the coaches holding starters out or limiting their PT. IIRC he had problems with the knee all preseason and that caused him to miss time.

I don't think his lack of PT this preseason was due to the coaches holding starters out or limiting their PT. IIRC he had problems with the knee all preseason and that caused him to miss time.

Then why did Jauron say this was "out of the blue".

If you knew this was coming, why didn't Jauron?

Then why did Jauron say this was "out of the blue".

If you knew this was coming, why didn't Jauron?

Jauron said the decision to have surgery came out of the blue. I take that as "we weren't considering him having surgery, or at least having it two days before the season opener."

Then it's a mighty high risk, since he'll be missing a few weeks of the season and probably won't be back to full form until mid-year. If he were really thinking that way, the best thing to do is to come into camp as healthy as possible and have a blow-out contract year.

I think that pro athletes are at the bottom of the entertainment biz when it comes to brains. Their marketability is their physical skills - intact - first and foremost. It gets parsed, details are explored - but only after the ability to hit the field is established.

PT Barnum: "So you want a continuation of your job on the high wires".

Applicant: "Yes. I have a proven record of performance".

PT Barnum" "I see. Well, hop on up and let's see if you can still do that".

Applicant: "No, not until you sign me up for a whole year's pay".

PT Barnum: "Next, please".

Shouldn't this have been considered and done early in the preseason?

WTF do the trainers for the Bills actually do?

Last season 17 IR injuries (don't tell me that physical conditioning has no relevance), this season a major component of the D is lost 4 days before the season opener for something that should have happened months ago.

What a joke.

Jauron said the decision to have surgery came out of the blue. I take that as "we weren't considering him having surgery, or at least having it two days before the season opener."

ok.

I'm just think the Bills have a young team that should have used the preseason as an opportunity to get more expereince. The Crowell thing was just a way to push the issue.

This is an indictment of the team’s entire medical staff, in my uneducated, nonetheless strong opinion. I think heads need to roll over this huge waste.

It is up to the player to decide whether to have surgery or not. The team can not force him either way.