Shawn Merriman

H2o

This doesn't make sense to me. This is their "figure head" on defense and he is possibly throwing away his career. How can an organization let a player do something like this? To me it seems completely retarded. That would be like us letting Marshawn or Lee play with a scenario that could end up the same. It would be dumb. How come somebody in the front office hasn't told the guy to get his surgery done and come back 100% next year? Somebody has to exercise better judgement here if he's not going to.

This doesn't make sense to me. This is their "figure head" on defense and he is possibly throwing away his career. How can an organization let a player do something like this? To me it seems completely retarded. That would be like us letting Marshawn or Lee play with a scenario that could end up the same. It would be dumb. How come somebody in the front office hasn't told the guy to get his surgery done and come back 100% next year? Somebody has to exercise better judgement here if he's not going to.

It is terrible buck-passing on the part of the responsible parties, and reflects short-term thinking all the way around. I suspect it is a combination of Norv Turner's fear that if the team does not win it all this year he will lose another job, and a general feeling among the SD leadership that no one wants to force Merriman to sit then take the heat if the team does not do well. This way, they leave it up to Merriman, and if he cripples himself, the coach and team can shrug and say "Well, he made his choice..." and they can blame any team failures on the bad luck of injuries.

All of which does not make it any less "retarted." (I know what you meant there, but that word that suggests what a hooker does when she puts on new lipstick and makeup...)

he only has 2 more seasons on his contract. ruining his leg may end up saving them $5-7million a year...

looks like AJ Smith learned a thing or two from Ralph :thumbsup:

How credible.

if by credible you mean the statement Sirius NFL radio did an entire afternoon on the topic and that there was a disagreement with team doctors and Merriman, thats how credible it is. Team doctors declared him fit to play, Merriman wanted a second opinion and its been a circus ever since

From what I've read, every doctor Merriman has been to told him he could play on the knee. But all of them also recommended that he instead have surgery.

This situation is in some ways analogous to Favre. If Merriman decides he wants to play, shows up to camp and passes his physical, the Chargers don't have many choices. They either have to put in on their roster, or release/trade him.

if by credible you mean the statement Sirius NFL radio did an entire afternoon on the topic and that there was a disagreement with team doctors and Merriman, thats how credible it is. Team doctors declared him fit to play, Merriman wanted a second opinion and its been a circus ever since

Actually its the other way around. The team Docs said he can play on the knee, but recommended that he not, and Merriman got 4 other doc's opinions and they also said he should have surgery. He's playing against all other docs wishes.

I think he's afraid that not playing and having surgery will GREATLY hurt his next contract.

Probably, so. But, I think he has 2 years left on his contract. If so, he could have surgery and sit out this year and next year, have a monster contract year. Now, he will likely need surgery at the end of (or during) this year. As a result, he may miss next year or not be ready to play at the start of next season. What does his agent think about all this? Just more proof agents are only out for themselves.

Does he think that he is going to finish his career with a torn PCL and MCL? Does he actually think he is never going to have to have them repaired? These ligaments are in place to stabilize his knee joint. So, in essence, he will be playing on a very unstable, but playable, knee. Next time he gets this knee hit (not if he gets it hit), picture Willis McGahee.

Put simply, he's a "macho" shortsighted idiot. He and his teammates believe they're legitimate Super Bowl contenders, which may be true. I'm sure the local media isn't doing anything to refute that. He feels he would be "letting his teammates down" if he didn't "tough it out and play." I'll never claim to be an orthopedic surgeon, but I do have at least a modest amount of common sense. When five doctors have the same opinion, that's not a coincidence.

A friend of mine damaged (probably tore) a knee ligament playing recreational soccer. He also enjoys recreational golf. His doctor told him that if he wanted to play soccer again, he would require surgery, but with no surgery, he could walk/golf no problem. My friend chose to never have surgery, and just quit his soccer league. Obviously that's quite a different situation than Merriman's but there are enough similarities to make it worth mentioning.

Apparently Merriman's agent and entire family are mute sheep, refusing to tell him what a complete fool he is by doing this.

Probably, so. But, I think he has 2 years left on his contract. If so, he could have surgery and sit out this year and next year, have a monster contract year. Now, he will likely need surgery at the end of (or during) this year. As a result, he may miss next year or not be ready to play at the start of next season. What does his agent think about all this? Just more proof agents are only out for themselves.

Does he think that he is going to finish his career with a torn PCL and MCL? Does he actually think he is never going to have to have them repaired? These ligaments are in place to stabilize his knee joint. So, in essence, he will be playing on a very unstable, but playable, knee. Next time he gets this knee hit (not if he gets it hit), picture Willis McGahee.

You're right I just checked he does have two years remaining on his contract. Why the hell is he doing this? What a moron.

Put simply, he's a "macho" shortsighted idiot. He and his teammates believe they're legitimate Super Bowl contenders, which may be true. I'm sure the local media isn't doing anything to refute that. He feels he would be "letting his teammates down" if he didn't "tough it out and play." I'll never claim to be an orthopedic surgeon, but I do have at least a modest amount of common sense. When five doctors have the same opinion, that's not a coincidence.

A friend of mine damaged (probably tore) a knee ligament playing recreational soccer. He also enjoys recreational golf. His doctor told him that if he wanted to play soccer again, he would require surgery, but with no surgery, he could walk/golf no problem. My friend chose to never have surgery, and just quit his soccer league. Obviously that's quite a different situation than Merriman's but there are enough similarities to make it worth mentioning.

Apparently Merriman's agent and entire family are mute sheep, refusing to tell him what a complete fool he is by doing this.

Bingo. My friend played D-1 college ball & had the same injury as Merrimen. Doctors told him under no circumstances was he too play with his condition. They told him to have surgery & there was only a 50% chance he would be able to play football after that. Well he had the surgery, never was the same, never played football again & now 9 years later just had a knee replacement. Doctors have told him that he will probably be in a wheelchair by the time he is 55.(he is now 33). This is a serious injury. My friend is still messed up & he shut it completely down when he was 22 & had the surgery. Can not believe Merrimen is even contemplating playing with this injury & I can not believe the Chargers are letting him play. One shot to the knee & he really will be lights out. I can not stand the Chargers(almost as much as the patriots) ever since AJ Smith took over GM duties from Butler. He just seems like a real bastard.