Matt Leinart a bust?

Fingon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bust after one presason game? :thumbsup:

He had a decent rookie year and was injured all of last year.

This is a clear strike against Leinart's progress since the Cardinals would've preferred him to win the job for obvious reasons.

Of course none of the inevitable onslaught of "I told you so" cheerleaders in this thread will say anything about how they once favorably compared JP to Roethlisburger, especially when they can't even use the "he has a great OL" excuse anymore.

He's probably just a guy who needs a change of scenery and a new system. I think that if he had been drafted by the Titans, instead of VY, Leinart would be talked about as one of the best young QB's in the league and Norm Chow would still be the offensive coordinator. Leinart is a good QB, but is having trouble transitioning into the NFL on a team that isn't that great. At USC, he was on one of the best teams in the country for 4 years and surrounded by the best players in the NCAA. This is a whole new ball game. Let's not forget that the guy he's competing against is a former NFL MVP whose had some AWESOME seasons playing the position. One year he had 41 TD's and 4,400 yards, then he had another season with 36 TD's and over 4,800 yards. Warner is no slouch and was on fire at the end of last season. This is no huge shocker.

Maybe Marv wasn't so dumb...

If anyone had ever questioned the wisdom of ANY general manager for not taking Leinart high in the draft, they were probably basing their judgment on the assumptions born of his celebrity. Leinart is too Hollywood - too interested in "The Life", and I don't mean the football life. He has never looked impressive to me despite having two top ten WRs to throw to. He's also fragile and would probably HATE playing for a cold weather team. Can you imagine Leinart throwing a deep out in 20 degree weather with a stiff cross wind?

That one's going the other way....

He's probably just a guy who needs a change of scenery and a new system. I think that if he had been drafted by the Titans, instead of VY, Leinart would be talked about as one of the best young QB's in the league and Norm Chow would still be the offensive coordinator. Leinart is a good QB, but is having trouble transitioning into the NFL on a team that isn't that great. At USC, he was on one of the best teams in the country for 4 years and surrounded by the best players in the NCAA. This is a whole new ball game. Let's not forget that the guy he's competing against is a former NFL MVP whose had some AWESOME seasons playing the position. One year he had 41 TD's and 4,400 yards, then he had another season with 36 TD's and over 4,800 yards. Warner is no slouch and was on fire at the end of last season. This is no huge shocker.

Except that Leinart has 2 Pro Bowl WR's, a former Pro Bowl RB, and an OC who developed Big Ben. Maybe he needs the Pro Bowl TE?

If anyone had ever questioned the wisdom of ANY general manager for not taking Leinart high in the draft, they were probably basing their judgment on the assumptions born of his celebrity. Leinart is too Hollywood - too interested in "The Life", and I don't mean the football life. He has never looked impressive to me despite having two top ten WRs to throw to. He's also fragile and would probably HATE playing for a cold weather team. Can you imagine Leinart throwing a deep out in 20 degree weather with a stiff cross wind?

That one's going the other way....

Ooohhh... Bob Matthews is rolling over in the grave where whatever talent and insight he once had is buried!

It it too early to tell if he's a bust, he could be a solid back up somewhere I suppose.....Would you call Todd Collins a bust?, he's a premier back up and he was drafted in the first round I believe

Absolutely.

He was horrible in Buffalo - he had a serious issue w/ that "deer in the headlights" look. 10 or so years as a 3rd stringer got him to the point that he doesn't look AS bad, but I still wouldn't rate him any higher than an average backup at best.

2nd round picks (#45 overall) aren't drafted to be career 3rd stringers.

It it too early to tell if he's a bust, he could be a solid back up somewhere I suppose.....Would you call Todd Collins a bust?, he's a premier back up and he was drafted in the first round I believe

Got to credit Dan Henning for grooming him into a nice backup 11 years down the road.