Thoughts on JP tonight

Drew026

I don't have a love/hate for either of these guys. I just hope our coaching staff can take an objective look and put the best QB we have on the field without pressure from the owner, front office, etc. JP looked pretty good, but from what I remember of JP, he has had pretty good games before, and then came next Sunday. Trent didn't get that much playing time last night, so it is a bit hard to judge his performance. What there was to judge, not so good. Watching JP on the sidelines, from what they showed on tv, I thought his attitude was great for what he has been through, and he looked like he was still interacting well as part of the team.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JP looked good last night....He made some nice throws(a couple to Hardy come to mind), and he made some bad ones(a couple to Parrish come to mind)....

This is going to be Edwards team no matter what happens in the preseason....having said that...I'm glad we have JP as a back-up....If Edwards gets hurt...we have a NFL starter ready to step in....

I don't have a love/hate for either of these guys. I just hope our coaching staff can take an objective look and put the best QB we have on the field without pressure from the owner, front office, etc. JP looked pretty good, but from what I remember of JP, he has had pretty good games before, and then came next Sunday. Trent didn't get that much playing time last night, so it is a bit hard to judge his performance. What there was to judge, not so good. Watching JP on the sidelines, from what they showed on tv, I thought his attitude was great for what he has been through, and he looked like he was still interacting well as part of the team.

Trent will get more playing time when he can help to generate 1st downs and sustain drives.

JP looked good last night....He made some nice throws(a couple to Hardy come to mind), and he made some bad ones(a couple to Parrish come to mind)....

This is going to be Edwards team no matter what happens in the preseason....having said that...I'm glad we have JP as a back-up....If Edwards gets hurt...we have a NFL starter ready to step in....

It should not be a surprise to any Bills fan that JP was more productive tonight than Trent. After all, he is the more experienced, more capable and the better player of the two. The real question which has still not been honestly answered publically by this head coach or front office is why JP is not the starter. Anyone with 2 eyes can see he is the better player. Come on Jauron, tell us what the heck is going on here.

Perhaps we have a different definition of "wide open". Hardy was actually pretty well covered but used his tremendous size to get body position on the much smaller corner to make a nice play. It was a well thrown ball but Hardy was in no way "wide open".

I now know why Hardy was a TD machine in college.

Exactly. He was blanketed in fact. It was a tremendous play by Hardy on a very good pass. It's going to take him a year or more to become a decently polished receiver but if he can do that fairly often he will be a huge addition this year.

It should not be a surprise to any Bills fan that JP was more productive tonight than Trent. After all, he is the more experienced, more capable and the better player of the two. The real question which has still not been honestly answered publically by this head coach or front office is why JP is not the starter. Anyone with 2 eyes can see he is the better player. Come on Jauron, tell us what the heck is going on here.

Good luck with that one.

Trent will get more playing time when he can help to generate 1st downs and sustain drives.

Then let him throw on 1st down, otherwise you don't generate a lot of 1st downs when the RB doesn't gain significant yardage. Did you notice that Trent did not throw on 1st down on any of the 3 1st downs the Bills had when he was in there? THe fact that he didn't get more playing time is indicative that the coaches didn't need to see more of him, and felt it was more important to see all 4 QBs than let him satisfy his skeptics.

Sure JP looked good, nobody can dispute this. He was allowed to pass 5 times on 1st down. The Bills ran more of a balanced attack, allowing JP to open it up more than they did on the 1st two series.

Conclusion: Totally different offensive modes when Trent & JP were in there. On Edwards' 2nd (and last) drive, they were inside their own 20 and Trent was in 2nd & 3rd and long (11 yards) in obvious passing downs. JP never was tested inside his own 20.

When Trent gets more playing time, instead of the game plan to let all 4 QBs play, then we can see if he's ok or not. You can't judge him on 2 series & be serious.

My problem with this discussion is that it is going to end up as a disaster for the Bills. Losman is a lot better than some of the fodder around the NFL (David Carr, Joey Harrington, the McCown brothers, etc) but no matter how he plays he won't be here next year. They should have had a veteran presence here in the offseason and prepared to get SOMETHING for Losman in a trade. It's clear that he's not Jauron's type of QB (too risky). I guarantee some QB will go down with an injury and we could get at least a #4 or #5 for him.

QUOTE (Alaska Darin @ Aug 10 2008, 05:38 AM) *

Perhaps we have a different definition of "wide open". Hardy was actually pretty well covered but used his tremendous size to get body position on the much smaller corner to make a nice play. It was a well thrown ball but Hardy was in no way "wide open".

Exactly. He was blanketed in fact. It was a tremendous play by Hardy on a very good pass. It's going to take him a year or more to become a decently polished receiver but if he can do that fairly often he will be a huge addition this year.

+2, and, yes, credit JP for letting the play develop and then putting the ball where it needed to be.

Get Hardy all the playing time he needs, because the threat he poses will quickly become apparent to our opponents throughout the league, and-wow-how this will help all our other receivers and bolster our point total. You know, we don't need to change too many of those field goals last years to touchdowns to give us the extra wins needed to make the playoffs.

Then let him throw on 1st down, otherwise you don't generate a lot of 1st downs when the RB doesn't gain significant yardage. Did you notice that Trent did not throw on 1st down on any of the 3 1st downs the Bills had when he was in there? THe fact that he didn't get more playing time is indicative that the coaches didn't need to see more of him, and felt it was more important to see all 4 QBs than let him satisfy his skeptics.

Sure JP looked good, nobody can dispute this. He was allowed to pass 5 times on 1st down. The Bills ran more of a balanced attack, allowing JP to open it up more than they did on the 1st two series.

Conclusion: Totally different offensive modes when Trent & JP were in there. On Edwards' 2nd (and last) drive, they were inside their own 20 and Trent was in 2nd & 3rd and long (11 yards) in obvious passing downs. JP never was tested inside his own 20.

When Trent gets more playing time, instead of the game plan to let all 4 QBs play, then we can see if he's ok or not. You can't judge him on 2 series & be serious.

No, but I can judge him on every down he's played for the Bills since last year. He's Mr. Safety, a perfect fit for the "play it safe" head coach. Trent's one completion from last night did make the Bills highlight video shown on their website.

Jauron attends all practices, open & closed. Do you? Jauron is in the locker room. Are you?

Your conclusions are based on limited data. When you open your mind, you'll understand that the team's management sees a lot more of these players than you do to base their opinions on. The professionals, when viewing the players 24/7 and going over films have concluded that Trent is the better player of the two, not JP. That's why JP is not the starter. Until they let me into all the meetings, film reviews, closed practices etc, I'll defer to their judgement and not assume I'm smarter than the coaching staff-I recommend you do the same.

Then let him throw on 1st down, otherwise you don't generate a lot of 1st downs when the RB doesn't gain significant yardage. Did you notice that Trent did not throw on 1st down on any of the 3 1st downs the Bills had when he was in there?

The defense seemed to figure this out. They were laying in wait for Marshawn even on the very first play. That's gonna have to change.

Trent threw 5 passes and JP thew 9 passes. You've seen all you need to see to make a decision? What about Hamden?

I don't think anyone is making any long term judgments here. The simple fact is that Trent did not look good at all and JP played well. That doesn't mean we should change starters or start this whole QB controversy thing up again. It just means that one guy out played the other for a few snaps of preseason football. It doesn't mean a lot but it doesn't mean nothing either.

Jauron attends all practices, open & closed. Do you? Jauron is in the locker room. Are you?

Your conclusions are based on limited data. When you open your mind, you'll understand that the team's management sees a lot more of these players than you do to base their opinions on. The professionals, when viewing the players 24/7 and going over films have concluded that Trent is the better player of the two, not JP. That's why JP is not the starter. Until they let me into all the meetings, film reviews, closed practices etc, I'll defer to their judgement and not assume I'm smarter than the coaching staff-I recommend you do the same.

Of course you are right but if that was the standard around here we would never be able to praise or criticize any player because, after all, the coaches know better. Pretty much the whole point of this board is to have a place where we can all express our opinions about the team even though we aren't coaches.

Until they let me into all the meetings, film reviews, closed practices etc, I'll defer to their judgement and not assume I'm smarter than the coaching staff-I recommend you do the same.

Unless they switch to Clean up the City Boy, in which case you'll rant and rave and say they are morons.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. Trent will be better once the weather gets cold and he can wear his girlish gloves. That should be around week 4 of the season.

It's clear JP is now a first ballot HOF'er after that performance. He completed a few passes against a bunch of scrubbs and all of a sudden he is god. I'm pretty sure we have seen this act before and we know how it ends. Edwards did not look very good for sure but it's not time to throw him under the bus yet.

GO BILLS!

It's clear JP is now a first ballot HOF'er after that performance. He completed a few passes against a bunch of scrubbs and all of a sudden he is god. I'm pretty sure we have seen this act before and we know how it ends. Edwards did not look very good for sure but it's not time to throw him under the bus yet.

GO BILLS!

I'm sure you will be the first to throw Trent under the bus when you feel it is the right time.

I'm a big advocate of judging QB's on how they do in non-obvious passing situations. I pretty much agree with your assessment. You can't just go run, run and then let Trent throw on 3rd and 6. The 'Skins first team defense was coming hard. In the regular season the Bills will mix it up and Edwards will throw more on early downs. All the good teams have great success on 1st & 2nd downs. The Bills will need a controlled passing game to win this year since I seriously doubt their running game will be much better than average. The line just doesn't blow open huge holes and Lynch tends to stray from his blockers. JP showed me he's a quality backup but he still can't throw down the middle of the field with accuracy. He's much better chucking it to the outside.

I now know why Hardy was a TD machine in college.

I, too, had this take on it during the game. Amazing use of his body to be able to grab that TD.