Favre and the Jets

eball

Brett Farve has an ego like every QB in the NFL. He also deserves a ton of respect for what he did with that franchise. He helped bring it out of the dark ages in his time and make the packers a feared team again. I think that Brett Favre thought he could come back at anytime and get welcomed back with open arms. He was wrong but i don't blame him for thinking that. Giving 16 years of your body to that team has to mean something. Superbowls, playoffs, MVP's, etc.... i hear stories all the time about his toughness. I heard a story how he walked into the stadium on crutches, played the game, and walked out of the stadium on crutches. How many people in the NFL would do that now. it seems alot of NFL players cry when they get a hangnail. So no i don't blame Favre for takign it personal when they told him sorry we don't want you after he decided to come back.

I also find it amusing that the Packers think they have a better shot with Rodgers then Favre to win a Superbowl. The packers were deathly afraid of a Viking team with Favre on it. If they can't beat the vikings with Favre how do they expect to beat one of the powerhouse AFC teams. There are alot more teams contending to go to the superbowl then the NFC does.

It also drives me insane that people keep talking about how this saga has gone on for years and it's Favre's fault. There year is the first time i saw Favre be somewhat of a drama queen. The years prior the media was hounding him about if he would retire the day he was cleanign out his locker after the season. There was alot of speculation when he had the two bad years. I think the guy deserves some respect from the media for trying to figure otu his life. I think he would never say yes/no because he didn't know how the Packers Organization felt about him returning until a later time. I personnally think the media has turned this into a bigger story then it deserves. When a story breaks mentioning that there is a flight plan listed from Mississippi to GreenBay and that it could be Favre it's alittle rediculous.

I hope Favre does well in NY with the Jets just not when they play the Bills.

They never said they thought they had a better shot with Rodgers then Favre, the reasoning behind not bringing him back was because the team had already moved on and were already well into an off season of building their offence around Rodgers since Favre decided to retire. By bringing him back in to start, they would be throwing away an entire offseason of work so Brett could play again

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They never said they thought they had a better shot with Rodgers then Favre, the reasoning behind not bringing him back was because the team had already moved on and were already well into an off season of building their offence around Rodgers since Favre decided to retire. By bringing him back in to start, they would be throwing away an entire offseason of work so Brett could play again

Yep.

Outside of Evans, Lynch and Parrish we do not have an established threat. Rodgers had been in the league for 3 years waiting for his shot. He couldnt have stepped into a better scanrio to succeed. We all saw the real favre in January against the Giants. Rodgers will be just fine in GB. PLus playing the NFC North is nothing ti write home about.

Was it really the real Favre, the first ballot HoFer that we saw against the Giants? Or is it what we all hope is the real Favre now that he is in the AFC East?

I'm not saying that Rodgers won't be fine, what I am saying though is that how much of those players success can be attributed to having Favre throwing to them, or in the RB's case, having a guy like Favre keeping defences honest and not stacking the line because they aren't afraid of Favre beating them with a pass?

This is the best post on the whole subject to date (IMHO). I've always loved Favre as a player -- and as a person, fun-loving, competitive, open, fan-friendly. This will discolor my view of Favre from now on. It's similar to what Barry Sanders did to Detroit (except the opposite extreme) giving little to no indication that he was going to retire and then doing it suddenly as training camp was about to start, giving Detroit no opportunity to fill his enormous void. That was classless -- in spite of a history of being a classy gentleman and great player. Favre retired this spring (maybe even late winter), now as the team has restructured and made plans for the last several months to move on, he wants back in? Sorry, he jerked the Pack around the last few years with the "will he or won't he retire" game. I'm glad the Pack moved on. Favre does not need to be painted as someone who has been wronged. Deal with it, Brett, you made your decision and didn't like it.

Was it really the real Favre, the first ballot HoFer that we saw against the Giants? Or is it what we all hope is the real Favre now that he is in the AFC East?

I'm not saying that Rodgers won't be fine, what I am saying though is that how much of those players success can be attributed to having Favre throwing to them, or in the RB's case, having a guy like Favre keeping defences honest and not stacking the line because they aren't afraid of Favre beating them with a pass?

Im not taking anything away from what Favre has done in his career. From one year to the next.

When he had Walker and Driver he lit it up but in 05-06 he had 38 TDs to 47 INT's compare that in 07 when he was 28 TD and 15 INTs. The talent was around him last year. Thats why he had such a great year.

Similar to the post above, but my calculations show an additional loss and only 5 wins, they'll also lose to the Cards.

Quick question 1bills fan: Which AFC East team are you a fan of again? Just seems like you like to give far more credit and love to the Jests than you give to our beloved Bills.

Relax. Just because I think the Jets will have a good year doesn't mean that I don't think the Bills will have one also. I also think the Bills should get to 11 wins. The schedule is easy enough to achieve that goal. However I think these are the keys for a successful 11 win or more season...

1. They need to adopt a winning mentality

2. They need Jason Peters

3. They need a guy to produce at the #2 receiving position

4. They need to get Lynch and Jackson into the passing game

5. Jauron needs to show some trust in his offensive players

Being a Bills fan doesn't mean you must throw away all objectivity.

Relax. Just because I think the Jets will have a good year doesn't mean that I don't think the Bills will have one also. I also think the Bills should get to 11 wins. The schedule is easy enough to achieve that goal. However I think these are the keys for a successful 11 win or more season...

1. They need to adopt a winning mentality - They already have if Donte's statements and the team rallying around them is any indication.

2. They need Jason Peters - Peters will be playing week 1 at the latest, he is already in the hole somewhere between $100-150K and by the end of camp he will figure he made his point and show up.

3. They need a guy to produce at the #2 receiving position - Hardy is definitely a ?, but I believe he will be very effective in the red zone and, taking quite a bit of pressure off of Lee Evans and allowing Roscoe and Josh Reed to run amok in the slot where they belong.

4. They need to get Lynch and Jackson into the passing game - As we've seen and heard from the training camp reports, this is already happening.

5. Jauron needs to show some trust in his offensive players - I believe most of the timidness(if that's a word) was due more to Fairchild's play calling than Jauron. I think he will trust in Turk and allow him to be much more adventurous this season.

Being a Bills fan doesn't mean you must throw away all objectivity.

Ok. My bad, sorry for jumping on you. As far as objectivity, I too am being as objective as I believe is possible regarding my thoughts on the Jests. All 5 of your points above are also valid and I have added my take.

Im not taking anything away from what Favre has done in his career. From one year to the next.

When he had Walker and Driver he lit it up but in 05-06 he had 38 TDs to 47 INT's compare that in 07 when he was 28 TD and 15 INTs. The talent was around him last year. Thats why he had such a great year.

The Packers were going through a bit of a re-building phase back in Favres down years and last year had one of (if not the) youngest team in the league last year. They were not overly talented in 05-06

I'm not denying that those guys aren't talented, and the pack are talented, but I wouldn't call them stacked, and I wouldn't say that those guys carried Favre and made him look better.

Did anyone listen to Favre's comments during his PC with the NY media? Holy crap. He all but admitted his desire to go to Minnesota was "vindictive" -- a result of the Packers not welcoming him back with open arms.

I think Brett wants to be in NY about as much as I'd like to be in Hattiesburg. More of Brett's comments: "I don't know what I'm getting myself into" and "I don't know anyone in that locker room."

One thing has crystallized for me over the past few days with respect to the Favre saga -- Brett really wanted to come back to the Packers and try to win the Super Bowl. That's it. Once they shunned him, however, it became personal. That is the sole reason he will be wearing Jet green this season -- he couldn't allow himself to bow out once Green Bay said no.

This will end ugly, which is a shame for such a great player and one of my all-time favorites. Learning a completely new offense in three weeks? Playing against defenses and personnel he rarely sees? Yes, football is football, but to presume Favre will pick right up where he left off is naive at best.

From a Bills fan's perspective, this situation doesn't bother me one bit.

Interesting...

That's pretty much verbatim what Colin Cowherd just said about the Presser, and his impressions of Favre's mindset in general...

This should be interesting...I can't wait to see what all these genius analysts say if Favre is less than successful in NY...Cause, for the most part, what I heard yesterday after the Trade was almost nothing but Playoff Predictions for the Favre led Jets...In fact when asked the question "Who would have the better Record the Packers or the Jets in 08?..." Every single "expert" I heard yesterday said The Jets...Every one...I could not believe it...I mean after all, I know Favre was GB's, and I know Favre is better than Aaron Rodgers...But they are all picking the 4-12 Team to be BETTER than the 13-3 Team...And that is going out on a limb, Favre or not...There is still a heck of a lot of talent left over in Green Bay...

I know The Jets have some talent...They improved that Roster no question...They are also counting on big name Players who were castoffs from their respective Teams because those Teams did not believe they were worth the cash...Faneca is 31 and he's barely missed a Game in His career...But that's a TON of mileage too...Woody is 30...He's Started 13 Games in the past 2 Years and He's moving to a new Position...And that new Position is RT not RG, so we'll see how that goes...Kris Jenkins was, at one time, a great Run stuffing DT...But numerous injuries and about 50 lbs later, The Panthers could not wait to get rid of Him...The Panthers ranked 18th in Run D and it was Jenkins they Traded away so...I know the Jets are better with Favre than with Pennington...But how much better are they going to be as a Team? Granted they should be better than 4-12, but how much better? If they are 3 Wins better is that not a considerable improvement?

I think all this Favre hype is WAY premature...But I could be wrong...We'll see soon enough...:lol:

Interesting...

That's pretty much verbatim what Colin Cowherd just said about the Presser, and his impressions of Favre's mindset in general...

So, Cowherd reads TSW? Go figure.

Seriously, though, I really couldn't believe what I was watching during that press conference. That was NOT a QB excited about his new team and looking forward to the season. I expect another retirement announcement in approximately five months.

Seriously, though, I really couldn't believe what I was watching during that press conference. That was NOT a QB excited about his new team and looking forward to the season. I expect another retirement announcement in approximately five months.

If Colin Cowherd said it, I pretty much have to disagree on instinct. Cowherd is my least favorite sports talk show host, which is saying a lot....

I think Favre is just a very emotional person...I think when he "retired" in March, he meant every word of what he said...the ordeal he (we) have been through over the last month has to have taken somehting out of him. Honeslty, I wouldn't be surprised if he and the Jets get off to a rocky start, but I think once it all settles in, he will be fine.

What is sad to me, and Favre haters will disagree, is that Favre is the Packers, and has been the cornerstone of the franchise. The fact that a poor relationship with a GM ended his career in Green Bay in such an unsightly and acrimoneous (sp?) fashion, is really pretty sad. If the franchise had an owner, none of this would have likely happened. A very ugly chapter, I think. "Here is your MVP trophy Brett, now please leave us alone, Ted Thompson is moving ahead."

I know he is a Jet, but I still like Favre...all the histrionics are not going to take away from what he did on the field. Outside of John Elway, he has given me more memorable NFL moments than any other non-Bills player. It is hard for me to root against him. He is an emotional mental case, and shoots from the hip. The bean coutner, Ted Thompson, did the Packers a disservice by not realizing this. I assure you, Green Bay fans will have gotten much more joy out of Brett Favre, than they will Ted Thompson. In the end, it is about what happens on Sundays that matters most.

This will end ugly, which is a shame for such a great player and one of my all-time favorites. Learning a completely new offense in three weeks? Playing against defenses and personnel he rarely sees? Yes, football is football, but to presume Favre will pick right up where he left off is naive at best.

Another thing to note is that for the first time in a long time he was completely dedicated to the Packers' off-season training program before putting up career numbers last year.

This year, not so much. Throwing footballs to local high school kids after months of semi-retirement this off-season doesn't compare. He even admitted he was "a little out of shape."

I will be very surprised if he stays injury-free this season and starts every game.

If Colin Cowherd said it, I pretty much have to disagree on instinct. Cowherd is my least favorite sports talk show host, which is saying a lot....

I think Favre is just a very emotional person...I think when he "retired" in March, he meant every word of what he said...the ordeal he (we) have been through over the last month has to have taken somehting out of him. Honeslty, I wouldn't be surprised if he and the Jets get off to a rocky start, but I think once it all settles in, he will be fine.

What is sad to me, and Favre haters will disagree, is that Favre is the Packers, and has been the cornerstone of the franchise. The fact that a poor relationship with a GM ended his career in Green Bay in such an unsightly and acrimoneous (sp?) fashion. If the franchise had an owner, none of this would have likely happened. A very ugly chapter, I think. "Here is your MVP trophy Brett, now please leave us alone, Ted Thompson is moving ahead."

I know he is a Jet, but I still like Favre...all the histrionics are not going to take away from what he did on the field. Outside of John Elway, he has given me more memorable NFL memeories than any other non-Bills player. It is hard for me to root against him. He is an emotional mental case, and shoots from the hip. The bean coutner, Ted Thompson, did the Packers a disservice by not realizing this. I assure you, Green Bay fans will have gotten much more joy out of Brett Favre, than they will Ted Thompson. In the end, it is about what happens on Sundays that matters most.

Why do people insist on painting the Packers front office as the bad guys in this whole situation? They were basically cornered into a no win situation by a QB that could not make up his mind & held his team hostage for the last few years. I hope Favre flops in NY. F*ck Favre & F*ck the jets.

Agreed...

And I agree with what you are reading between the lines too...Brett wanted to come back as The Packers QB...When He got a less than enthusiastic response He put on a little pressure and was still met with a lukewarm reaction...He then got pissed off...He wanted to go to The Vikings out of revenge...He realizes there is no way The Packers are going to release him, and even less chance they will Trade him to Minnesota...He gets hurt further...But now He's made such a HUGE Media stink over this whole deal He HAS to come back somewhere in 08 or He looks like an idiot...So He sucks it up and says OK to The Jets cause thatway at least the deal gets done quickly considering the Packers preference to send him to the AFC...I honestly think when all this started...when Brett sent that text about having the itch...If The Packers had written back and said "OK..You can come back, but only to play for one Team, and that Team is the Jets," Favre would have grabbed his fishing pole and walked back into the sunset...But the way this thing went The Packers did not call any of Favre's bluffs and it just went too far for Him to turn back...

Favre then shows up at the Presser yesterday still hurt, still a bit pissed, and not exactly thrilled with his new Team because He knows he's up against it BIG time...But he got himself into this, he's a mans-man, and he'll get through it one way or the other...The End... :lol:

Should be interesting....I'd like to see His career end once and for all by crushing courtesy of Marcus Stroud...I used to be a big Favre Fan, but he wore me out a long time ago...I still like the guy I guess...I'm just sick of hearing about him... :wallbash:

Why do people insist on painting the Packers front office as the bad guys in this whole situation? They were basically cornered into a no win situation by a QB that could not make up his mind & held his team hostage for the last few years. I hope Favre flops in NY. F*ck Favre & F*ck the jets.

i see it alot different than that..i remember about 4 years ago when the packers dismantled bretts offensive line,general managers in football were saying brett should retire then or try for a trade,but brett stayed with greenbay with no antonio freman,no sterling sharpe,no line anymore..............yes brett did green bay a dis service by retiring and then forcing greenbay to draft two more quarterbacks.it also hurt greenbay because greenbay probably spent bretts contract on new players.................,but brett has earned the right to play for greenbay as long as he wanted! as far as farve flopping in ny i dont think he will flop,but the jets are also not a brett farve away from the post season...he is a waste on that team..............go bills!

ESPN had an interesting analytical take on the question of how much Favre will improve the Jets. They predicted that the big problem for them is gonna be Favre learning the offense in a relatively short time.

They predicted the problem would be heightened because the Jets and GB run such different offensive styles with the NYJ scheme being a WCO style with the plays planned and laid out and the QB being called upon to implement them as they were drawn up. The GB style they described as much more oriented to Favre reading and reacting to the situation and in essence free-lancing rather than running a fairly set style.

If this analysis is true it points to this almost being a lost half season or so for the Jets O as not only is Favre gonna have to cram in the new language and new scheme, but in essence he will have to change a careers play style to the Jets way.

The alternative is actually likely worse IMHO since it will demand that all the players in essence toss chunks of the playbook they have spent the off-season learning if the Jets take the route of altering it significantly to fit Favre's style.

Even in a good case of adaptation of the Jets/coaches O style to Favre or the adaptation of the Favre to the Jets O style you still are gonna have to have the receivers and Favre develop chemistry and the OL and Favre develop chemistry on how they block and how he scrambles.

In general, Favre is a good enough player that it will make sense for the Jets to make some changes to take advantage of what he can do that most other QBs can't but overall I would generally expect that it is Favre who is going to have to change himself to win in our system. It will be tough getting your starting QB to recalibrate his play and learn a new playbook on short notice. However, it strikes me as much worse to demand the entire rest of the O to learn a bunch of new stuff and throw a lot of old stuff out.

The interesting soap opera to watch is how Favre reacts to having to stand on his head athletically and adapt to every one else since for years the Pack was built around his skills and desires.

I must admit the thing which bums me out most about this is that the Bills do not get the Jets until mid-season. Opponents will likely mop the floor with this team the first quarter of the season.

There is also the soap opera question of how long it takes the NYJ fans to turn on Favre when they begin losing initially through adjusting.

Its definitly going to be interesting to watch, and the Jets will either have to adapt to his style, or he will have to adapt to their style. But as a vet of so many years, I would think he could probably learn a new playbook quicker then a younger inexperienced rookie. I would also assume tat the Jets didn't just go running into this situation without first having a plan on how to deal with this issue and what will be best to get him ready for the season the quickest. It may start out with the season begining with a dumbed down offence with less plays for him and the team to adapt to unitl after a couple of weeks they feel comfortable enough to open up the playbook.

In my view, you will either have 2 things happen.

1. The Favre experiment will be a huge flop because he was rushed into the offence too quickly, and its too different then what he is used to

or

2. Favre will have another year like last year where he will lead a team into the playoffs and he will be one of the top rated QB's again this year

Not to hijack the thread, but was I the only one who, when scanning the TBD front page and saw a headline: "Bills Should Have Pursued Trade for Favre" immediately knew that Bob Matthews was the author?

Bob Matthews - voice of the fan...dumb uninformed kneejerk fan.

PTR