Maybe the Bills couldn't afford Favre?

Here's how slow Mike Schopp can be: I called WGR and made this point and he started saying how the Bills would make 4 times Favre's salary in merch sales. I had to stop him and explain I meant they couldn't afford the cap hit. After a long pause he says the Bills could have figured something out. Sure, Mike. They have two players wanting 7-figure salaries and we'll just "figure out" how to squeeze in another $12M in salary! Obviously he was embarrassed and was just trying to act like he was on top of it.

PTR

Or maybe they like Edwards and his long-term potential? This deal definitely smacks of "we need to win NOW" on Mangini's and Tannenbaum's parts.

The deal smacks of "Kellen Clemens is a bust, we can't go back to starting Pennington and we hope Erik Ainge can sit & develop behind Favre because if Ainge isn't the long term answer, we have to draft another QB next year."

We're renegotiating a deal for Evans. Crowell needs a new deal. Peters wants a 7-figure contract. How would Favre's $12M salary fit under the cap?

PTR

are you really trying to find an excuse for why the Bills didnt go after Favre?

the answer is simple, they were not interested

Here's how slow Mike Schopp can be: I called WGR and made this point and he started saying how the Bills would make 4 times Favre's salary in merch sales. I had to stop him and explain I meant they couldn't afford the cap hit. After a long pause he says the Bills could have figured something out. Sure, Mike. They have two players wanting 7-figure salaries and we'll just "figure out" how to squeeze in another $12M in salary! Obviously he was embarrassed and was just trying to act like he was on top of it.

PTR

I heard the call, as I had GR on for a few minutes while Shredd & Ragan were in a break. Rarely do I listen to PM drive on GR, and the treatment of your call (and the Bledsoe call that occurred right around the time you were on) is a big reason why. One of the hosts thinks he's smarter than he really is, the other is horribly miscast as a radio personality and utterly unlistenable.

I'm not saying we should've gone after Favre but how in the world are the jests, who are up against the cap, going to fit $12M in? Cutting Penny doesn't nearly make that up!

Or maybe they like Edwards and his long-term potential? This deal definitely smacks of "we need to win NOW" on Mangini's and Tannenbaum's parts.

I think it is a pretty smart football decision. They know that Pennington isn't going to take them anywhere, and, assuming they haven't given up on Clemens, it buys him a year or , maybe two to learn, watching from the sidelines. This move doesn't retard any poor QB's development...and it may just help that franchise get a winning swagger it hasn't had in...well...forever...I think the Jets have a little more offensive talent than we may realize...they just haven't had a QB to fill the missing piece.

Favre hasn't gotten as much credit, I think, for his abilitly to help marginally talented players have superstar type years. I don't know of Cothercy or Coles are better than Lee Evans, but I can almost guarantee, as long as Favre is in the lineup, they will be catching some balls. Cotchery can be explosive. And don't forget, Thomas Jones is a very good running back, who can catch a pass or two out of the backfield.

As for the Jets, when is the last time anyone talked about them as much of a contender? In New York, their relevance dry spell is almost unfathomable. Sure they have been to the playoffs here and there, but have never been thougt of as a serious contender, while their roommates, the Giants, just win a Super Bowl once a decade. The Jets have never really had any extended period of success...it is a franchis, if not a New York team, would probably have a minimal fan base, because they have been so gawd awfully unexciting and dull...sort of like the Detroit Lions of the AFC. So, the francise goes out and grabs the closest thing to Joe Namath they can find. And, it might make them a noticably better team. If nothing else, you can guarantee, we hardcore football fans will be seeing more of the Jets this season, than we have in many, many years.

I must say, the Jets are the one team in our divison I have never been able to have strong hate for, because, for the most part, they have been a non-factor...they are just there, to fill out the schedule.

I'm not saying we should've gone after Favre but how in the world are the jests, who are up against the cap, going to fit $12M in? Cutting Penny doesn't nearly make that up!

I'm not saying the Bills even wanted Favre. Just that it would made it hard to cut deals for Evans, Peters and Crowell. As far as I know, the Jests don't have any big resignings coming up. And besides the Jests have nothing to lose. They are at rock bottom.

PTR

I'm not saying the Bills even wanted Favre. Just that it would made it hard to cut deals for Evans, Peters and Crowell. As far as I know, the Jests don't have any big resignings coming up. And besides the Jests have nothing to lose. They are at rock bottom.

PTR

Can we really call what the Jets hit rock bottom, when we have Miami to enjoy watching in the same division? Miami would be considered to have had a successful season if they could reach what the Jets had last year, LOL

The issue with bringing in Favre wouldn't have been NFL salary cap related, it would have been self imposed "Cash to the Cap" related, they may have been interested but only if they could work something out to dump salary back to Green Bay, or have GB cover some of his salary (if that can be done in the NFL like MLB). That could very well have been the stumbling block, and why Buffalo was not considered as having serious interest in him.

Bringing in Favrewould not have been the Bills giving up on Edwards, or showing they have no faith in him, it would have been a sign of them wanting to win now, and giving their young QB a chance to learn from one of the best, and develop on the bench for another year or 2 before handing him over the reins of the team. letting Edwards sit on the bench for a yer or 2 behind Favre wouldn't kill him or destroy his development.

Guest dog14787
Can we really call what the Jets hit rock bottom, when we have Miami to enjoy watching in the same division? Miami would be considered to have had a successful season if they could reach what the Jets had last year, LOL

The issue with bringing in Favre wouldn't have been NFL salary cap related, it would have been self imposed "Cash to the Cap" related, they may have been interested but only if they could work something out to dump salary back to Green Bay, or have GB cover some of his salary (if that can be done in the NFL like MLB). That could very well have been the stumbling block, and why Buffalo was not considered as having serious interest in him.

Bringing in Favrewould not have been the Bills giving up on Edwards, or showing they have no faith in him, it would have been a sign of them wanting to win now, and giving their young QB a chance to learn from one of the best, and develop on the bench for another year or 2 before handing him over the reins of the team. letting Edwards sit on the bench for a yer or 2 behind Favre wouldn't kill him or destroy his development.

No, but it wouldn't help his development. Favre, as much as I like him is at the end of his career, Trent Edwards is at the begining of his and I believe its going to be a very good one, besides, our young core of players needs to mature together.

Forget Favre (except twice this year when we play him) then lets see how our QB ( Edwards) goes up against one of the all time greats.

I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised because Trent Edwards is going to make some history of his own. :lol:

No, but it wouldn't help his development. Favre, as much as I like him is at the end of his career, Trent Edwards is at the begining of his and I believe its going to be a very good one, besides, our young core of players needs to mature together.

Forget Favre (except twice this year when we play him) then lets see how our QB ( Edwards) goes up against one of the all time greats.

I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised because Trent Edwards is going to make some history of his own. :lol:

You dont bring a guy like Favre in to tutor young guys. Especially not in the physical sense of the game. Hes a gunslinger who takes a lot of chances. Im sure he prepares mentally but he relies more on his physical ability. Thats the one thing i love about him he reminds me of a kid playing with his friends in the park.

I remember seeing a special when he first got to GB after the trade and was in a QB meeting and asked one of the guys what DIME was. Wow a guy that was in the league for that long asked what DIME was.

Guest dog14787
You dont bring a guy like Favre in to tutor young guys. Especially not in the physical sense of the game. Hes a gunslinger who takes a lot of chances. Im sure he prepares mentally but he relies more on his physical ability. Thats the one thing i love about him he reminds me of a kid playing with his friends in the park.

I remember seeing a special when he first got to GB after the trade and was in a QB meeting and asked one of the guys what DIME was. Wow a guy that was in the league for that long asked what DIME was.

couldn't have said it better myself. :lol: