Indy burns 3rd rounder in 07

Agent says Colts missing tackle Quinn Pitcock is retired

By Mike Chappell Indianapolis Star

Posted: July 30, 2008

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Indianapolis Colts defensive tackle Quinn Pitcock has retired, according to his agent.

The announcement ended a week of uncertainty regarding the team’s 2007 third-round draft pick.

“After much deliberation and careful thought, Quinn resolved to retire from the NFL,’’ Brad Leshnock, Pitcock’s agent, said in an email to The Star late Tuesday. “He notified the Colts of this decision last week.

“Quinn is grateful for the opportunity the Colts gave him, and he wishes his teammates and the whole organization nothing but the best going forward.’’

Pitcock, 24, could not immediately be reached for comment. He was placed on the NFL’s reserve/did not report list when he failed to show up with the teammates last Thursday for the start of training camp. He appeared in nine games as a rookie, one as a starter.

He was expected to play an important role in the Colts' defensive line rotation this year, backing up likely starting tackles Ed Johnson and Keyunta Dawson.

The question is why? The guy was only 24, had some potential to be good, and I've never heard anything about him injury wise. You only hope the guy is not another Alonzo Spellman. Family or mental illness is more than likely the case in a situation like this. Hope the best for the guy, whatever the case.

This is rough on the Colts. Can you imagine Kyle Williams, Ko Simpson or Trent Edwards (obviously different circumstances) retiring so soon?

But, this is what I'd expect only if a player found out they or their spouse had a very serious medical condition. I certainly don't know enough to be critical of Pitcock.

This is rough on the Colts. Can you imagine Kyle Williams, Ko Simpson or Trent Edwards (obviously different circumstances) retiring so soon?

But, this is what I'd expect only if a player found out they or their spouse had a very serious medical condition. I certainly don't know enough to be critical of Pitcock.

I wonder what's up, too.

OSU gets a lot of play in the Cincy area, and Pitcock was always portrayed as a hard worker, a good guy, good team player.

Of course, the mere fact that the Colts drafted someone from the trenches shows that they are a winning organization... so what if it turns out that the player was a bad choice?

[/sarcastic reference to earlier debates]

lol, i know thats a joke post but i was curious and did some research...

in 2007 the Colts picked a WR in Round 1 and a DT in Round 3

in 2006 they went RB in 1, CB in 2, and LB in 3

in 2005 they went CB in 1, CB in 2 and DE in 3

in 2004 they had no 1 pick, and went Safety in the 2nd.

in 2003 they went TE in 1, Safety in 2, and CB in 3

If only we still had Polian! he wouldnt have drafted as "foolishly" as Marv/Dick!

thats a lot of earlier DBs for winning a Super Bowl in 2006...

If only we still had Polian! he wouldnt have drafted as "foolishly" as Marv/Dick!

Nice research Doc! :rolleyes:

did some more digging...

you actually have to go back to 1999 to find the last time Polian picked an Olineman in the first 3 rounds (3rd round Guard Brandon Burlsworth)

and there has only been ONE time since then that he picked 2 Dlinemen within the first 3 rounds. 2002 he went Freeney in 1 and Triplett in 2.

he also followed that by picking a Safety in the 3rd.

if you look over the Colts early rounds all the way back to 2000 its mostly DBs, LBs and WR/TEs

Of course, the fact that he already had a franchise quarterback and left tackle may have influenced his decisions ...

Ah. I was hoping this was still here: http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=55088

Of course, the fact that he already had a franchise quarterback and left tackle may have influenced his decisions ...

Very true, Lori.... though in a couple of years, when the Colts are not doing well, someone can go back and look at their drafts since 2000 and say "how terrible, they kept drafting DBs..." without considering that they may have hit the jackpot with a good player, and that the most important thing is quality of personnel, not the obsessive drafting of linemen...

not that anyone around here would argue otherwise, of course. :rolleyes:

did some more digging...

you actually have to go back to 1999 to find the last time Polian picked an Olineman in the first 3 rounds (3rd round Guard Brandon Burlsworth)

That was a tragedy. Dude got to see his dream come true for 11 days. I always wondered if he would have worked out...he had so much hype and feel-good press going into that draft.

But besides that, didn't he trade up to pick up a LT in the 2nd round a year or two ago? I remember thinking how well it worked out with Glenn deciding to retire. I miss Polian...

no doubt. i wont argue that having a #1 overall QB(1998) and a 1st round LT from 1997 helped.

but that is still over 10 years of not picking Oline early. and they didnt win a SB until a decade later either.

Very true, Lori.... though in a couple of years, when the Colts are not doing well, someone can go back and look at their drafts since 2000 and say "how terrible, they kept drafting DBs..." without considering that they may have hit the jackpot with a good player, and that the most important thing is quality of personnel, not the obsessive drafting of linemen...

not that anyone around here would argue otherwise, of course. :rolleyes:

Yup. We had that argument not so long ago, vis-a-vis the Bills d-line vs. the Giants. Roughly the same number of players picked at the same relative draft positions ... the Giants just did a better job with the players they selected.

That was a tragedy. Dude got to see his dream come true for 11 days. I always wondered if he would have worked out...he had so much hype and feel-good press going into that draft.

oof, i forgot that he was killed in a car accident. didnt place the name right away.

Didn't they take Tony Oguho (guessing on the last name) last year in the first round to play LT?

I'd say just about any job is easier thatn the NFL. That job is so hard that statistically it shortens your lifespan.

I don't know, for longevity purposes I would rather play in the NFL than be in the Army/Miliary/etc.... during the time of a major war.

Didn't they take Tony Oguho (guessing on the last name) last year in the first round to play LT?

oops, it was the second round and i missed that pick cause they had moved up. im scanning quickly here :rolleyes:

alright TWO Olinemen in 10 years

What a crock of schitt. Before any of this, they solidified the QB spot (Manning), both OT slots (Glenn and Meadows) and the RB position (James). They also had Harrison at WR.

In 07, they took an OG who also plays LT with the 10th pick of round 2. When Glenn suddenly retired, they had a plan. In 08, their first selection was a Center.

Nice try at putting Levy/Jauron in a class with Polian, but if you think that the Colts win because of their defensive backs, you are off by a mile.

What a crock of schitt. Before any of this, they solidified the QB spot (Manning), both OT slots (Glenn and Meadows) and the RB position (James). They also had Harrison at WR.

In 07, they took an OG who also plays LT with the 10th pick of round 2. When Glenn suddenly retired, they had a plan. In 08, their first selection was a Center.

Nice try at putting Levy jauron in a class with Polian, but if you think that the Colts win because of their defensive backs, you are off by a mile.

crock of schitt, or just the facts. and the fact is that for the 10 years prior to winning a Super Bowl the Colts barely took any lineman early.

I believe what ever signing bonus he received, he'll have to give back 2/3rd's of it.

I'm sure the true story on why he's leaving the NFL will come out soon enough.

I wondered about that. What about the guaranteed money?

did some more digging...

and there has only been ONE time since then that he picked 2 Dlinemen within the first 3 rounds. 2002 he went Freeney in 1 and Triplett in 2.

he also followed that by picking a Safety in the 3rd.

if you look over the Colts early rounds all the way back to 2000 its mostly DBs, LBs and WR/TEs

No wonder they suck. :rolleyes:

Ah. I was hoping this was still here: http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=55088

:P

How about: no single avenue guarantees TEAM success.

I guarantee if we pick nothing but OLine in the next draft we'll suck next season too.

this was my point really. i wasnt saying that you shouldnt ever draft lineman early. just that you cant say "we're picking this position at this spot no matter what!"

Nice try at putting Levy/Jauron in a class with Polian, but if you think that the Colts win because of their defensive backs, you are off by a mile.

So why hasnt their drafting of lots of DBs doomed them to failure? You are very fond of stating that the Bills drafting DBs is what causes to miss the playoffs year in and out, so why hasnt this affected the Colts?

OK Bill, but if that's the case why do you have such a problem with the Bills taking DBs? After all, they have Peters (hopefully) anchoring LT, Walker doing decent at RT, Dockery is solid at G, and you are very very impressed with Edwards at QB. So what really makes the Colts' situation different?

And don't try to tell me their DBs have had no impact, does the name Bob Sanders ring a bell?

OK Bill, but if that's the case why do you have such a problem with the Bills taking DBs?

We use our best picks on them, develop them, watch them walk away, and then chase after more. It never ends; it is a merry go-round of idiocy. How many picks have we wasted trying to replace Clements?

We play in the elements where running matters more than passing at times.

Again, a 3rd round corner playing behind a great DL looks way better than a 1st round corner playing behind a sub-par DL.

PS: We are not winning many football games.

We use our best picks on them, develop them, watch them walk away, and then chase after more. It never ends; it is a merry go-round of idiocy. How many picks have we wasted trying to replace Clements?

We play in the elements where running matters more than passing at times.

Again, a 3rd round corner playing behind a great DL looks way better than a 1st round corner playing behind a sub-par DL.

PS: We are not winning many football games.

you need good players, regardless of position. Consider some recent 4th rounders we've taken. Would you rather have Ko Simpson or Duke Preston?

Also, you never answered this:

"After all, they have Peters (hopefully) anchoring LT, Walker doing decent at RT, Dockery is solid at G, and you are very very impressed with Edwards at QB. So what really makes the Colts' situation different?"

you need good players, regardless of position. Consider some recent 4th rounders we've taken. Would you rather have Ko Simpson or Duke Preston?

Also, you never answered this:

"After all, they have Peters (hopefully) anchoring LT, Walker doing decent at RT, Dockery is solid at G, and you are very very impressed with Edwards at QB. So what really makes the Colts' situation different?"

I truly hope that I am wrong, but I don't think either of them is any good. Imo Simpson looks slow and Preston is weak.

As for the other question remember, I am unimpressed with Fowler. He is another guy with good technique who gets shoved around. And this OL, while 5x better than anything we have seen in a decade (assuming Peters plays), it is very thin, especially at OG.

Did they really need Corner? They drafted Youboty, McKelvin, and brought in a UFA. They extended McGee a while ago, and just how bad is Greer? It is stupid R-Man, almost like an addiction.

Tell the truth, wouldn't you rather they had taken a shot at a Guard with the 4th? If not, how about the freaking 7th? :rolleyes:

I truly hope that I am wrong, but I don't think either of them is any good. Imo Simpson looks slow and Preston is weak.

As for the other question remember, I am unimpressed with Fowler. He is another guy with good technique who gets shoved around. And this OL, while 5x better than anything we have seen in a decade (assuming Peters plays), it is very thin, especially at OG.

Did they really need Corner? They drafted Youboty, McKelvin, and brought in a UFA. They extended McGee a while ago, and just how bad is Greer? It is stupid R-Man, almost like an addiction.

Tell the truth, wouldn't you rather they had taken a shot at a Guard with the 4th? If not, how about the freaking 7th? :rolleyes:

I've told you before, that on draft day i was perplexed by the corner selection. However, its entirely possible that the Bills didnt have any OL rated as 4th round talent. We picked corner at 114. 3 OL went in the 4 picks before us. The next OL wasnt taken until pick 130. There's no point on reaching for an OL pick just so you can say that you picked an OL.

As for centers, yes we need an upgrade, but there were none available in this years draft that could have stepped in and made a difference in year 1 or 2. As for as the 7th round goes, its a crapshoot, and 7th rounders are the same as street FAs.

Would it have made you feel better had we drafted felton and brought cox in as a UDFA instead of vice versa? theres no difference.

As for Ko vs preston...one of them can barely crack the team as a backup, and the other is the starting FS. So no matter what you think (which is inherently biased, because you have a very low opinion of all DBs on this team), the coaching staff believes that Ko is starter material, and good enough where they didnt need to bring in any competition.