Who wins the starting Tight End position?

I would personally like for Derek Schouman to win it, but thats just me, thoughts?

from the sounds of it - from Chris Brown - he seems to have an excellent shot as Royal is coming off some surgery and Schouman is playing well. Personally though I think whoever the starter is it may be more of an on paper thing and we'll rotate in tight ends depending on the package. Royal in more blocking heavy situations, Schouman for more receiving - at least at first.

I'm sure there will be plenty of competition through camp. Royal is the incumbent who's coming off of knee surgery and had some problems with dropsies/mental mistakes, Schouman had some good showings in limited time last year, and Derek Fine (remember him?) is a 4th round rookie who could surprise some people.

Royal will come away with the starting nod when the dust settles. He's the most experienced, and if DJ has taught us anything, it's that he'll go with experience versus talent. Hanging on to veterans past their prime has been a facet of his coaching style since coming to Buffalo.

Schouman has little experience and lacks the bulk to handle strongside LB's. Courtney Anderson is a big body, but after unsuccessful stints in Atlanta and Detroit, he's probably just training camp fodder. Fine is still a rookie, and played in a quasi-spread offense at Kansas. For him to come away with the starting job, it'd be a big surprise.

That's not to say Fine and Schouman have no NFL future, but expecting a super rookie (Schouman) and Fine to be starting NFL caliber TE's in their first season is out of the question. Royal comes away with the job by default, despite having below average hands. He had two key fumbles last season, and few Bills fans can forget him unable to get two feet in-bounds against Tennessee 2 seasons ago. This is a position the Bills will upgrade very quickly, though Royal has 2 years on his deal after 2008.

Does it matter?

I would hope so- having a check down target would benefit TE a ton in a pivotal year. However, the Bills clearly don't have this guy, so I would agree w/ BillsVet that it will be Royal and it is indeed his to lose, much to my dismay. This is a position they must address in next year's draft, IMO, after all but disregarding it this year. Maybe someone as talented and intelligent as Ryan Purvis would be available in the 3rd?

Judgement Day is the first play Josh Reed goes in motion. If it's a pass, we're golden.

Great point here. I can't wait until tomorrow's camp because I want to see the motions/shifts again and really zero in on what they are doing. I saw a lot at the afternoon practice Friday, but I was also distracted.

On two separate plays I did see Josh Reed in motion and a pass play, but I still think it's too early to be certain that our worst fears are behind us.

There is no doubt that Shouman is really making a case for starting. I will focus on him tomorrow as well.

Does it matter?

Certainly, our recent history suggests 'No', except for the best blocker. I think we all hope for something more from the TE than we're accustomed to. If it's Royal, then same ole', same ole'.. Shouman and Fine represent hope for the position to become a valid offensive threat -ie: keep the safety honest.

Go Bills!

Truth of the matter is Shoeman should win it and be in for both running and passing plays......

Anybody else think Royal could end up being a surpise cut?

I do. TBD already noted that Schouman was getting first team snaps and moved him to # 1 on the depth chart.