Simple question.......Will Jason Peters be at camp?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If not at the start, he'll report at the latest by August 5th. Players under contract lose an accrued season if they don't report 30 days before the start of the season.

I just read something about this on ProFootballTalk.com, in regards to Devin Hester holding out. I was always under the impression that a player could sit-out the first 8 games and still get an accrued season, but I guess that only applies to a player who has been tagged or tendered.

Simple question.......Will Jason Peters be at camp?

I sure hope he is......

Your thoughts.

Hard to tell. Ralph might be cheap and senile enough to let the best player on the team languish, and then eventually report out of shape. I really hope not, but little would surprise me.

I also don't know if Jauron would have the ba!!s to step up and say something either. He might spend his time scouting defensive backs for 09.

Dockery called him "The Franchise." Chambers called him the "best LT in the league." Ross Tucker told me that he is as good as anyone he ever played with, and is challenging Walter Jones as the best in the league. The players know.

I am telling you.....this team has no shot without Peters. They need him both now and long term, and he deserves a raise.

I agree Bill. Ive seen enough from guys who tried to fill his shoes. We need to get this guy locked long term. The price for stud LT's is a high price. But we have a young proven guy. Get him signed. Cause every move the team has made thus far will mean nothing if Peters is not given a deal.

Honestly, Peters has the Bills brass by the balls......

Hard to tell. Ralph might be cheap and senile enough to let the best player on the team languish, and then eventually report out of shape. I really hope not, but little would surprise me.

I also don't know if Jauron would have the ba!!s to step up and say something either. He might spend his time scouting defensive backs for 09.

Dockery called him "The Franchise." Chambers called him the "best LT in the league." Ross Tucker told me that he is as good as anyone he ever played with, and is challenging Walter Jones as the best in the league. The players know.

I am telling you.....this team has no shot without Peters. They need him both now and long term, and he deserves a raise.

Great post. And some very high praise coming from those who know--fellow linemen. I think this will be one of the most telling battles at camp. Lots rides on what gets done here. Brandon on one side with his contract cred on one side, and Jason Peters / fans / playoff hopes on the other.

If not at the start, he'll report at the latest by August 5th. Players under contract lose an accrued season if they don't report 30 days before the start of the season.

I once again defer to Pat Kirwan, who is a bit obnoxious on the radio, but I think is nuts on accurate with this comment: Money is undefeated in the NFL.

Dip$#!+ there is no HC in the league who publicly gets involved in player contracts. It's not about having the balls it's about working behind the scenes.

In this instance I think the Bills should break the bank to keep him. I'm hoping that they are just trying to get all of the draft picks signed and then will work on his contract. His agent may be being a Richard and the Bills may not want to encourage this kind of behavior.

Jeffrey Chaditha from ESPN did an article about players that their respective teams cannot afford to lose. Of course Brady, Manning, AP, Haynesworth et al. were mentioned. But if there's a player Buffalo can't lose, it's Peters. Not simply for lack of depth at OT, but because his play has been above and beyond what the average replacement can offer.

Jauron sounded authoritative (he spoke above a whisper) when talking about Peters' absence, but it's clear this isn't something he can control. It's up to the front office to sort this mess out. They can continue to stick to principle, but a precedent was set by re-doing Schobel's deal, and he didn't nearly make the stink that Peters has thus far. If it's good enough for one star player, it should be for another.

Everyone in that locker room knows Buffalo can't possibly expect to succeed with Peters. And you can bet the front office knows it too.

If asked, what should Edwards response be?

If he's smart his answer would be: "Obviously I want him in camp. He's the best LT in the league but I don't get involved in contracts. That's up to the front office but I think he deserves a pay raise."

Anything stronger than that would just make him a trouble maker.

I once again defer to Pat Kirwan, who is a bit obnoxious on the radio, but I think is nuts on accurate with this comment: Money is undefeated in the NFL.

Tell Pat that Barry Sanders, Ricky Williams, Barry Foster, Christian Okoye and Jim Brown say "Hi"

Tell Pat that Barry Sanders, Ricky Williams, Barry Foster, Christian Okoye and Jim Brown say "Hi"

You forgot Robert Smith.

But how many of those early retirements were over contract disputes?

You forgot Robert Smith.

But how many of those early retirements were over contract disputes?

Exactly. Kirwan's point was about players who threaten to hold out of camp for more money. They'll hold out until it starts to actually cost them, then money wins.

I'll give Peters this much: he's keeping his mouth shut. I know little or nothing about this part of the NFL, but it would seem to me if the team wanted to re-sign him, both sides would logically have to agree that it was worth it to wait and see what shakes out from signing the draft picks. From that point, if the Bills can't give him what he wants, it would seem to me it's in his best interest to show up to camp and keep the dialogue going. On the other hand, there is nothing logical about the NFL and how it handles contracts.

I wish I was good enough at evaluating talent to know if he's really that good. Is he really, suddenly the best LT in football? Really? Is he that good or is the rest of the field that bad? I mean, he goes from tight end to right tackle and people say "Hey, look at that." And then he gets shifted to left tackle and it goes from "Anything would be an upgrade" straight to "Holy Shiiit, He's a GOD! A FREAKING GOD!"

He's like the Barack Obama of LTs. It's Jasonpalooza.

Or who knows. Maybe he's really !@#$ing amazing and we got really fuking lucky.

Exactly. Kirwan's point was about players who threaten to hold out of camp for more money. They'll hold out until it starts to actually cost them, then money wins.

I'll give Peters this much: he's keeping his mouth shut. I know little or nothing about this part of the NFL, but it would seem to me if the team wanted to re-sign him, both sides would logically have to agree that it was worth it to wait and see what shakes out from signing the draft picks. From that point, if the Bills can't give him what he wants, it would seem to me it's in his best interest to show up to camp and keep the dialogue going. On the other hand, there is nothing logical about the NFL and how it handles contracts.

I wish I was good enough at evaluating talent to know if he's really that good. Is he really, suddenly the best LT in football? Really? Is he that good or is the rest of the field that bad? I mean, he goes from tight end to right tackle and people say "Hey, look at that." And then he gets shifted to left tackle and it goes from "Anything would be an upgrade" straight to "Holy Shiiit, He's a GOD! A FREAKING GOD!"

He's like the Barack Obama of LTs. It's Jasonpalooza.

Or who knows. Maybe he's really !@#$ing amazing and we got really fuking lucky.

Me too. Perception is reality. Once a sportswriter or two calls a player "the best" most other sportswriters jump on the bandwagon because they are no better at evaluating talent than we are. Once the agents here this it's time for a new deal.

You forgot Robert Smith.

Good call.

Interesting that when you start to think of guys who left the game with money on the table you come up with so many backs. Them boys take a pounding.....

I mean, he goes from tight end to right tackle and people say "Hey, look at that." And then he gets shifted to left tackle and it goes from "Anything would be an upgrade" straight to "Holy Shiiit, He's a GOD! A FREAKING GOD!"

I didn't think he was quite as good last year as he was the year before when he was absolutely kicking the crap out of people. But maybe that's just a case of exceeded vs matched expectations.

Either way he's probably the most dominating player on this team right now.

Me too. Perception is reality. Once a sportswriter or two calls a player "the best" most other sportswriters jump on the bandwagon because they are no better at evaluating talent than we are. Once the agents here this it's time for a new deal.

In this case there are some objective signs that speak to his quality as a player:

1. The Bills recorded the least number of sacks in their history since the stat started being kept and Peters as the LT as usually lined up against the other teams sackmaster.

2. He was voted to the Pro Bowl by the balance of player/fan/coaches though since it was his first time and the Bills are not a fixture in nationally televised games it was his peers and the coaches which led the charge for him in this not perfect but not ignorable honor.

3. He is very young and should be a fixture for years when he is signed.

It is true that there is a lemming quality to these assessments, but this is certainly not the only explanation for the recognition given to Peters and in fact given the plaudits which he got right from the start from JMac as the best specimen he had ever seen at tackle in his long career. Also given real world progression he made in shifting from TE to OL and then from RT to LT it seems a far better bet that he is the real deal.

If he's smart his answer would be: "Obviously I want him in camp. He's the best LT in the league but I don't get involved in contracts. That's up to the front office but I think he deserves a pay raise."

Anything stronger than that would just make him a trouble maker.

No jerky, "deserves...." is too much for him to say.