Peter King's mailbag

Favre coming to Buffalo is wrong on many levels:

- I am not convinced we are a QB away from the playoffs. We are an offensive scheme and skill talent away from it.

- Trent is our starting QB and it will not be good for his development to be told he is not the starter. Trent was thrust into the starting job last year and needs to continue playing. Getting Favre is a stop-gap measure which IMHO will not mask the weaknesses of our offense (namely: not enough, proven players as WR and TE).

- What happens if (when ?) Favre sucks and starts throwing a lot of interceptions ? Do the fans have the b@lls to call for his benching especially when we will be the focus of national attention once Favre becomes our starter ?

- Will Jauron have the b@lls to bench Favre ? Does he risk his career on a Tom Donahoe-like flashy move which has way too much risk associated with it ?

- The money and/or draft picks that may be needed may make this a very expensive gamble for us in the long run. We need the money to lock up Peters and Evans this year plus sign some more FAs next year

- We really don't need a side-show on the team. I would rather continue with our ground-up rebuilding process and set up for a long multi-season win streak.

Bottom line, weighing the risk and perceived rewards, I think this potential acquisition is way unbalanced against the Bills.

I'm sure you meant to say the PERCEIVED risk and perceived rewards.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what you are saying, but I will repost something I posted earlier (and, typically, got no response :rolleyes: ):

I don't think the Bills will seriously, and I am not saying they should, but I wouldn't be too upset either...

One positive to it, that even the most ardent of Favre haters in Bills land would have to admitt, him coming to Buffalo, especially now, in 2008 (4 years before the Bills are pretty much free to move anywhere), would put a national focus on the franchise that it hasn't had since the early 1990's. Imagine all of the prime time tv exposure, all the flowery comparisons between Buffalo Bills fans, and the venerable Green Bay fans. It would be a lot of positive attention for the Buffalo Bills (albiet Favre slanted), and Buffalo...Favre would repeadedly be saying things like "what we had in Green Bay, with the fans, was special...but the Buffalo fans are every bit as crazed with the Bills" There might be a national groundswell of support, on a national level, to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

How about Favre, unable to pry himself from the game, joining Jim Kelly's ownership group....having Deana Favre in the stands wouldn't be so bad either! John Elway has been rumoured to be interested in getting into NFL ownership as well.

I'm just sayin'...as ludicrous as Favre to the Bills may sound, it could have some terrific merits, most of them non-footbal realted. If people credit Flutie with "saving the franchise" in 1998, imagine what a real NFL QB could do...this isn't Drew Bledsoe folks, its' Brett Fuggin' Favre...git 'er done powersharing triumverant!

While I agree with the attention the team would get, the groundswell would be for Favre. I want him here to win me some playoff games, I doubt he could be the savior of the franchise from the perspective you offer, buftex.

Teams facing the Bills this year are without question going to crowd the line, take away most of the running lanes for Marshawn Lynch, and force Trent Edwards to beat them consistently downfield. Our run blocking is suspect. Edwards has the talent and we have some play-makers, at least potentially. If Edwards is good, we will have a middle of the pack offense and maybe a bit better.

If we had Brett Favre for two seasons, instantly Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch would be stars, if not superstars. Teams would back off the line of scrimmage, opening up running lanes for Lynch, and terrified that Favre would beat them down the field with three speedy WRs. The best thing Favre does is scan the field and throw the ball up where his WRs can make plays downfield. That's also what Lee Evans does best and a guy named James Hardy and perhaps Roscoe can take huge advantage of.

The team's morale, confidence and veteran leadership would instantly skyrocket (regardless of whether it is warranted or not). The defense could take much larger risks and play a much more aggressive game, knowing the offense would likely put up some points, and maybe in bunches. It would be a huge boost IMO for Favre to be here for two years, and Edwards can be groomed.

I'm not saying it has much of a chance of happening. But it would instantly make the Bills a contender, and help every aspect of the team.

Teams facing the Bills this year are without question going to crowd the line, take away most of the running lanes for Marshawn Lynch, and force Trent Edwards to beat them consistently downfield. Our run blocking is suspect. Edwards has the talent and we have some play-makers, at least potentially. If Edwards is good, we will have a middle of the pack offense and maybe a bit better.

If we had Brett Favre for two seasons, instantly Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch would be stars, if not superstars. Teams would back off the line of scrimmage, opening up running lanes for Lynch, and terrified that Favre would beat them down the field with three speedy WRs. The best thing Favre does is scan the field and throw the ball up where his WRs can make plays downfield. That's also what Lee Evans does best and a guy named James Hardy and perhaps Roscoe can take huge advantage of.

The team's morale, confidence and veteran leadership would instantly skyrocket (regardless of whether it is warranted or not). The defense could take much larger risks and play a much more aggressive game, knowing the offense would likely put up some points, and maybe in bunches. It would be a huge boost IMO for Favre to be here for two years, and Edwards can be groomed.

I'm not saying it has much of a chance of happening. But it would instantly make the Bills a contender, and help every aspect of the team.

Hits nail on head.

My sentiments exactly!

My sentiments exactly!

I agree with much of what you have to say here but I think it is all a mute point. Favre is not going to play in Buffalo, regardless of the amount of cash that the Bills throw his way. (knowing Ralph, that wouldn't amount to much anyway) Favre will go to a team that is perceived by the national media to be more playoff ready then the Bills (Tampa Bay, Vikings, dare I say the Jets). My last word on this is that I think the time Edwards spent on the field last season is priceless and he will get better game by game this season. I really do like his smarts and the way he carries himself and I do have high hopes for him this season.

I agree with much of what you have to say here but I think it is all a mute point. Favre is not going to play in Buffalo, regardless of the amount of cash that the Bills throw his way. (knowing Ralph, that wouldn't amount to much anyway) Favre will go to a team that is perceived by the national media to be more playoff ready then the Bills (Tampa Bay, Vikings, dare I say the Jets). My last word on this is that I think the time Edwards spent on the field last season is priceless and he will get better game by game this season. I really do like his smarts and the way he carries himself and I do have high hopes for him this season.

It ain't going to be what the national media thinks whatsoever. It's going to be what Brett Favre thinks. One of the big reasons I think he would consider the Bills is that they have a big OL that excels at pass blocking intact, with a pro bowl quality LT (who would instantly come to camp if he's not already). He would look at Marshawn and Evans and Hardy and Reed and Parrish and think I can do it with those guys. He would look at the Bills schedule and say we could do it. Again, I'm not saying it's going to happen because a lot of things have to happen on several fronts, but I would bet anything that the Bills are one of the most attractive teams to Favre himself, that don't have veteran QBs, if he has to go to the AFC.

It ain't going to be what the national media thinks whatsoever. It's going to be what Brett Favre thinks. One of the big reasons I think he would consider the Bills is that they have a big OL that excels at pass blocking intact, with a pro bowl quality LT (who would instantly come to camp if he's not already). He would look at Marshawn and Evans and Hardy and Reed and Parrish and think I can do it with those guys. He would look at the Bills schedule and say we could do it. Again, I'm not saying it's going to happen because a lot of things have to happen on several fronts, but I would bet anything that the Bills are one of the most attractive teams to Favre himself, that don't have veteran QBs, if he has to go to the AFC.

I disagree. I think that along with the media, most fans AND players view Buffalo as a losing franchise that hasn't produced a playoff team in nearly a decade. Probably in much the way people used to view the Bengals or the Seahawks. (though both of those teams have progressed out of that media driven doom and gloom a lot more then the Bills have). The only reason we have so much optimism in Buffalo is that this is our team and we watch them every game and we have more of an idea of how it really is right now. I really do think that if you were to ask the average fan or player to describe the Bills in just a few words, 9 out of 10 would say something like "Buffalo sucks!". I could be wrong, and like you, I am also entitled to my opinion which is that Favre has not once considered playing for the Bills. Don't get me wrong. I love the Bills and I hope they have a great season and I beleive that they will. I just don't think Favre will play here, not even in our dreams...

This happy talk is all predicated on 2 things:

1. Brett plays at an all-world level at 39 years of age

2. He plays at this level in a foreign offense with no prior interaction with the coaches, WRs, RBs and OL (not to metion lack of a TE)

3. He does not revert to the form he exhibited in the years prior to 2007 when he was a turnover machine

4. He does all this on Sundays with limited time commited in the off-season and during each week. He wants the glory but his commitment to getting there is gone

This happy talk is all predicated on 2 things:

1. Brett plays at an all-world level at 39 years of age

Hogwash. Brett only needs to play like Brett. He has the reputation and experience, and his play last year showed he still has the athletic ability.

2. He plays at this level in a foreign offense with no prior interaction with the coaches, WRs, RBs and OL (not to metion lack of a TE)

Yes, he needs to learn the playbook, but "prior interaction" with the players is vastly overrated. That's what practice is for.

3. He does not revert to the form he exhibited in the years prior to 2007 when he was a turnover machine

That is Brett Favre. You live with the TOs because he creates more points than he gives up.

4. He does all this on Sundays with limited time commited in the off-season and during each week. He wants the glory but his commitment to getting there is gone

Says who? You? Where's the evidence Brett doesn't work hard in training camp or during the season?

Brett Favre instantly makes the Bills better.

KTFBD, you are one of the best posters here, day in day out. I don't always agree with you, but I alawys appreciate the effort you put into your posts. I do, agree with you wholeheartedly with this post (I have abbreviated it, but I agree with the whole thing)...when that happens, I always feel like you just forgot to push your sarcasim button...

Now, I am hearing that Favre may have a "Minnesota or bust" agenda...insiders are gossiping that if he can't go to Minnesota, and feels his bridges are burned in Green Bay, he will likely stay retired...attention whore! :blink:

Why is Roger Goodell getting involved with this? If I am Barry Sanders, I am pissed. He just wanted to get away from the Lions, but would have been willing to play elsewhere. Tagliabue didn't try to force the Lions to trade him....

Do people advocating Favre as a Bill really believe that the QB is the only position keeping us from making the playoffs ?

In terms of personnel?

Yeah, pretty much.

What positions on this team are holding the Bills back in YOUR opinion? Our roster looks pretty solid across the board from where I'm sitting.

What positions on this team are holding the Bills back in YOUR opinion? Our roster looks pretty solid across the board from where I'm sitting.

Hardy is unproven, I still suspect Parrish's capabilities, Tight End position is unproven, OC is a question mark, run blocking is average.

I think highly of PK as an NFL insider but disgree with his 'lojic' here. The Bills -WITH FAVRE- would not be worse than Jax, Pitt or Cleveland, IMO. According to him, there's still two more playoff teams to consider in the AFC and a veteran QB added to the Bills is a helluva equalizer.

That's exactly what went thru my head when I read King's reply. It's like saying, why put that engine in that car when it doesn't run? Really dumb.

Hogwash. Brett only needs to play like Brett. He has the reputation and experience, and his play last year showed he still has the athletic ability.

Yes, he needs to learn the playbook, but "prior interaction" with the players is vastly overrated. That's what practice is for.

That is Brett Favre. You live with the TOs because he creates more points than he gives up.

Says who? You? Where's the evidence Brett doesn't work hard in training camp or during the season?

Brett Favre instantly makes the Bills better.

Nice response, eball. You nailed each issue perfectly. :blink: