Peter King's mailbag

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. If you told me that Brett actually wanted to come here and if Trent was simply better would be a great mentor to him and be there in case of an injury then fine.

Favre will never be a good mentor for any young QB.

By defintion, that young QB is in line to take Brett's job.

If this whole escapade has taught you nothing else, Favre is "all about Brett, all the time".

Favre is old and getting older.

That wall is coming up awfully fast and the end is not going to be pretty.

Go back to how Favre played in the couple years before 2007 to see the preview.

Not saying I want Favre in Buffalo--want to see what Trent will do, but don't underestimate how high expectations factor in: if Favre goes to a team already considered great and does not win SB, then "Brett couldn't get it done" (he loses) if he wins with that great team then he was just part of a great team, not the Reason (he ties). If he plays with a likely good and up and coming team (like the Bills) and wins the SB, then he is "The Savior"--Brett brings SB to Buffalo (he wins big). If he does not win SB with Buffalo, oh well, I guess the Bills were not that good (he ties).

A smart man would put himself in a position where he can only win or tie not only lose or tie--Brett is a smart man. Again, not saying I definitely want him, but would be interesting....

As for the Pats this year, expect big dropoff. I really think spying helped them more than people imagine--it never made sense how they could be so consistently good year after year with a low round QB a superstar and so much player turnover each year--now it does, and without spying, expect play to suffer seriously.

Can't argue with his lojic.

King linkage

mods..feel free to merge with other Farve stuff if appropriate...

NO BUFFALO!

1. Same division as Patriots

2. Buffalo not close enough to being a winner

3. Favre is buddies with JP ..... Bills front office screwed with JP...enough said

I am an unabashed Favre fan...I love watching the guy play, even though I know he is a prima-donna and an ego-maniac...

I don't think the Bills will seriously, and I am not saying they should, but I wouldn't be too upset either...one positive to it, that even the most ardent of Favre haters in Bills land would have to admitt, him coming to Buffalo, especially now, in 2008, would put a national focus on the franchise that it hasn't had since the early 1990's. Imagine all of the prime time tv exposure, all the flowery comparisons between Buffalo Bills fans, and the venerable Green Bay fans. It would be a lot of positive attention for the Buffalo Bills (albiet Favre slanted), and Buffalo...Favre would repeadedly be saying things like "what we had in Green Bay, with the fans, was special...but the Buffalo fans are every bit as crazed with the Bills" There might be a national groundswell of support, on a national level, to keep the Bills in Buffalo. How about Favre, unable to pry himself from the game, joining Jim Kelly's ownership group....having Deana Favre in the stands wouldn't be so bad either!

I'm just sayin'...as ludicrous as Favre to the Bills may sound, it could have some terrific merits. If people credit Flutie with "saving the franchise" in 1998, imagine what a real NFL QB could do...this isn't Drew Bledsoe folks, its' Brett Fuggin' Favre...git 'er done powersharing triumverant!

Surely one can argue with his logic. In order for Favre to play, he must want to play on that team AND the team must want him and need him. All of those AFC teams he listed that are better than the Bills already have starting quarterbacks they like and would not even consider Favre, IMO, except perhaps Jax.

Check the Packers cell phone records to see if Brett called Turk Schoenert. Yep, this is a guy I want on my team. :thumbsup:

PTR

Surely one can argue with his logic. In order for Favre to play, he must want to play on that team AND the team must want him and need him. All of those AFC teams he listed that are better than the Bills already have starting quarterbacks they like and would not even consider Favre, IMO, except perhaps Jax.

To me, the most obvious fit, that would meet the Packers crieterion (non-NFC team) is the New York Jets.

Is it just me or would a real Super Bowl contender not need to bring in a quarterback at the start of training camp?

A condender probably can bring in an established QB, I don't think it's that far fetched. But you have to be pretty good to start with despite your QB, I would say Chicago, Minnesota, Carolina & Tampa could definitely compete for the SB by bringing in someone like Favre. But most likely a real run would be in year 2 though...

A condender probably can bring in an established QB, I don't think it's that far fetched. But you have to be pretty good to start with despite your QB, I would say Chicago, Minnesota, Carolina & Tampa could definitely compete for the SB by bringing in someone like Favre. But most likely a real run would be in year 2 though...

I don't know about the Bears...they could be dreadful this year, with or without Favre.

No way Jax. replaces Garard.

I don't know about the Bears...they could be dreadful this year, with or without Favre.

Well, they were 7-9 with no QB or RB and were in the SB a couple years ago. I have to believe that Favre at QB for Chicago would equal at least a couple more wins, which would put them in the playoffs.

No way Jax. replaces Garard.

I don't think so either, which is why i said "except perhaps Jax". But Garrard is the only one of those teams without a well paid established star QB. Garrard is pretty good I would think Jax has little to no interest in Favre.

To buftex, I doubt Favre would want to go to the Jets or even consider them. They are quite far away, perhaps two years (his window) from being a serious contender talent-wise.

Well, they were 7-9 with no QB or RB and were in the SB a couple years ago. I have to believe that Favre at QB for Chicago would equal at least a couple more wins, which would put them in the playoffs.

Yeah, maybe, but they have lost a lot since that Super Bowl appearence. As great as Devin Hester is, they are expecting him to be their #1 wideout this year, and their offensive line is not what it was during that Super Bowl drive. The defense is a shell of what it was. I will agree they are in a weaker division, so it is possible, but I have a bad feeling about the Bears this season. One of those teams I generally like to see do well.

I don't think so either, which is why i said "except perhaps Jax". But Garrard is the only one of those teams without a well paid established star QB. Garrard is pretty good I would think Jax has little to no interest in Favre.

To buftex, I doubt Favre would want to go to the Jets or even consider them. They are quite far away, perhaps two years (his window) from being a serious contender talent-wise.

I don't know. Maybe I am nuts, but the Jets, on paper anyways, look to have some talent, that needs to be glued together somehow. They were a playoff team just two years ago, and have some decent pieces. They have shored up their O-line, have a good vetran RB, and some emerging recievers. They do need a QB however...I am not sure how much stock they are putting in Kellen Clemons. He hasn't shown a lot. Surely, it wouldn't hurt him to sit another year...I just think the media possbilities with Favre and the Jets are limitless. To think, the only QB's the Jets would ever have, would be from Alabama (Namath) and Mississippi...the Jets are surely a franchise that could use an identity...

I don't know. Maybe I am nuts, but the Jets, on paper anyways, look to have some talent, that needs to be glued together somehow. They were a playoff team just two years ago, and have some decent pieces. They have shored up their O-line, have a good vetran RB, and some emerging recievers. They do need a QB however...I am not sure how much stock they are putting in Kellen Clemons. He hasn't shown a lot. Surely, it wouldn't hurt him to sit another year...I just think the media possbilities with Favre and the Jets are limitless. To think, the only QB's the Jets would ever have, would be from Alabama (Namath) and Mississippi...the Jets are surely a franchise that could use an identity...

I agree 100%, the Jets do have some talent. With a better QB I would be very worried about them...

"In fairness to Favre, it should be mentioned that any phone calls he made to the Vikings were made in a gunslinging fashion, and through the entire conversation, he looked like a kid out there, just having fun."