Ever meet a Buffalo Bills player?

Oh yeah - almost forgot - I also 'met' Daryle Lamonica way back when I was 'knee-high to a grasshopper'. He came to one of my brothers Cub Scout meetings - led the pack in the Pledge of Allegience. Never did quite understand why we kept Kemp instead of Daryle.

Also pounded a few with Chris Keating at a friend's wedding in Boston - my friend knew him at Univ. of Maine. At the time, Keating was already retired for a couple of years - but we talked about the Bills and WNY all afternoon. Great guy.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Shaw. How could I have left him out? (Oh yeah ... it was late.) Fantastic guy, and an absolute gentleman. We run into him every time we go to Canton for enshrinement weekend, and it's always one of the highlights of my visit.

In fact, that brings to mind a story from one of my earlier trips down there. As I walked toward the gift shop inside the Hall of Fame, I came up behind a man talking about a red Bills mini-helmet in one of the display cases to the person with him. I overheard him say, "This is their new helmet." Being the nitpicker that I am, of course, I couldn't help butting in and helpfully pointing out that it was actually the pre-2002 version, not the new one with 17 different-colored stripes. As he started to turn toward me, saying, "No, their 'old' helmet is white ..." I finally recognized him. Blushing, I stammered, "... and it has a standing buffalo on the side. I'm sorry, Mr. Shaw. How are you doing?"

pwned. :wacko:

:thumbsup:

Yup, pretty much. Of course, Billy being Billy, he was incredibly gracious about the whole thing.

Not so much when I mentioned Bruce Smith's new autographing habit to him last year, though. Did I tell you about that?

So there I was, with my tongue up this

ooops, wrong thread....

So there I was, back in March of '87, hangin' with The Dean, in a bar, on Bourbon Street, in New Orleans for the Final Four, when two kinda big tall guys barge in thru the place's side door - an emergency exit that that no one else was allowed to use. We look up, and one of 'em is sporting a Bills cap, the other is a bit younger, olive-skinned or very well-tanned, and they've got what I can only describe as a $1000-a-nite 'snow-queen' hangin' on their arms. I do a double-take - it's Jim Kelly, with with fellow UofMiami QB Vinny Testaverde! Imagine that. I see Bills players & coaches all the time 'cause I spend a lot of time at Brierwood CC, and at least half the team lives at Sawgrass, or so it seems, but running into Jimbo in a bar in New Orleans? Small world.

So anyway, in between one of Jimbo's & Vinny's countless trips to the restroom with the snow-queen, I went up and 'gave him the business' about coming in thru the back door (it was the year after NFL ref Ben Dreith made that famous call on Marty Lyons - check out this LINK for a good laugh). Jim laughed, I bought them a round, and wished Vinny good luck in the NFL. I used to see Jim every now and then on the 'Chip Strip' - particularly at Eddie Brady's - not so much any more. (Maybe he's mellowed with age - or maybe I have!) BTW - Indiana beat Syracuse that year for the NCAA title.

Also ran into Doug Flutie when I lived in Boston back in the late '80's,at Zanzibar, a popular Back Bay club at the time - but he wasn't with the Bills yet, obviously. I think he was with the USFL New Jersey Generals at the time. He was just standing there, holding up the wall, not talking to anyone. (Guess he was a dick way back then, too!) Oh yeah - and he's really short.

My other 'encounter with greatness' was in Maui - I was staying at the Grand Wailea resort, May of '98, my future ex-wife & I had a poolside cabana for the day (the rip tide was a bit too strong that day to swim in the ocean), and there, on the lounge chairs right in front of us, was Andre Reed & his lovely wife Cyndi. I really didn't want to bother him, as everyone else in the place was doing just that, but I had a brand new San Francisco Bay Area Bills Backers (SFBABB) t-shirt up the room, so I went & got it and borrowed a laundry marker from the concierge. Andre was amazed - he couldn't believe the whole scenario - a Bills fanatic, at the same hotel, same time, in the cabana right next to him, all purely serendipitously! And the t-shirt - he looked astonished, kept asking me where I got it, kept holding it up & showing his wife & friends. I still have that shirt signed, "To The Senator - Best Wishes, Andre Reed #83 - 5/13/98". I bought him & his party a round of whatever umbrella drinks they were having.

The next morning, I saved Andre Jr.'s life. (OK, OK, I didn't really - but I pulled him away from the edge of the pool just as he was about to fall in - Andre Sr. thanked me. No drinks though. F#ckin' cheapskate.)

On a totally unrelated note, since I invoked the name of "The Dean" earlier, I had lunch - or should I say 'drunch' - with The Hirsute One last Friday. He's well, and sends his regards to anyone that cares.

19 & 0 baby!!! :wacko:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Posluszny!!!!! :thumbsup:

Great storry Senator, I also ran into Andre, almost literally, back in 20002 or 2003 (can't remember), at UB when they had the Bills vs. the NFL Allstars flag football game. Long storry but thanks to Dan Marino and Jeff Delenbach my kids who have gorwn up Bills fans in South Florida got to meet and get pictures of some of the greatest Bills from the super bowl years. Mary Delenbach and I saw the kids all go in the locker room with the players and we waited for them to come out. After about half an hour we decided to go in after them and that's when, as I opened an interior door, there was Andres who was still in fantastic shape. I also took a peek into one of the training rooms and there was Jim sitting on a training table with a huge ice pack on his knee, drinking a beer. Somebody mentioned "the Fridge" earlier and he was there as well. The "allstars had on red jersey's and the Bills Blue. The Fridge had to cut open the sides of his XXX large jersey just to get it on.

Say hi to my old buddy the Dean, it's good to hear that he's still enjoying his drunches!!! Ask him if he's seen Ruben lately or if he's gotten probed, he should know what I mean.

When I was underage I got in to a place called Danny's in south buffalo, where I met Darryl Talley. He had bought a bottle of liquor and was pouring us shots all night long! Back in the hey days, I used to see Bruce, Thurman, et al at the Big Tree after home games. Dixon Ward was hanging there too and was very down to earth. One game Bruce had a couple of sacks against Boselli, and I mentioned that must have felt pretty good (considering Boselli used to handle him pretty well). He had a big 'ol box of stoagies and gave me one :thumbsup:

Saw Joe Ferfuson at the airport and who was on my flight after a recent home opener. Shook hands with OJ when I was a little kid. Saw Kelly and I think it was Conlan at a place I think called Shanahan's or something like that. They were all roped off in a crowded bar and wouldn't interact with the commoners. Pete Metzelaars at a JC Penney. I hung out late in the stadium after one game, and when finally exiting and walking through the hallways ran into Ralph and Littman. Asked for a picture with Ralph, but he was cranky and said he was too tired (we had won the game, too). And OT, but met Golisano after a Sabres road game where he took notice of our boisterous support of the Sabres! He came up and talked to us for a while and was pretty cool.

Well, there's obviously the players at camp from time to time...at least when they were at Fredonia. Beyond that

Al Bemiller used to do security in my section and we got invites to Billy Shaw's induction reception in Canton...met Ralph, Billy and his wife (he almost forgot her a 2nd time that day), Denny Lynch, and a lot of old time players like Edgerson and Piccone...it was an open bar til 6...so basically Ralph was buying our drinks then Al, Denny, and I took turns buying rounds for our little group.

ran into BRUCE and Thurman a few times over at Big Tree after games..traded stories with Denny Lynch a few times at Danny's as well

talked to AVP (as well as Dan Hampton and Sean Salisbury once) after a game

While covering the 1st round of Jills cuts for my site in 06, met JP and Coy http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/buf...ewithCoysgf.jpg

met McGee at the 06 Jills Congratulatory Party...Stamer both in 06 and in 07

talked to Ruben Brown at the Men's Show for a little bit

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/buf...s%20Show/22.jpg

Met Kelly in Canton last year...as well as Marcus Allen...told him how much I enjoyed watching him play...but only on TV cause anytime I saw him play in person, it was against the Bills...lol....which he understood

talked to Tasker and his wife Sarah in Canton in 01 as well as Metzelaars...told Sarah that we missed her Christmas cards (Bills season ticket holders get Christmas cards from the team every year and while Steve was on the team, they were all some of Sarah's artwork)

I have met many dozens (maybe hundreds?) over the years, but most at official Bills functions and auto signings. As for just stumbling into Buffalo Bills:

1- As a kid, my sisters boyfriend, a UB football star, who was a Bills for about a month, in 1974 (didn't make the final cuts), took me to "help" set up a pool hall that kicker John Leypoldt was opening. It was a Saturday afternoon, day before a game (could you imagine this now?), and Leypoldt, DeLamielleure, John Skourpan, Reggie McKenzie, amongst about 7 or 8 other guys were there, putting together pool tables. I only remember those guys, because I got some cards autographed, and they all had cards. The other guys, I can't remember. I had a very badly faded autographed napkin at one time, but misplaced it.

2- My brother an I delivered furnitiure to Al Edwards house, in the late 90's, in Atlanta, after his playing days were over. Nice enough guy, but he was preoccupied with his kids at the time. I did manage to score an autograph.

3- Larry Kinnebrew used to regularly stalk a girl that I went to school with at Buff state. I ran into him in the hallway of her apartment a few times. Never really spoke with him, but was tempted to call the cops a few times...no autograph this time.

4- Coolest, was going to the smoking lounge at the Superdome in New Orleans, at halftime of a Bills/Saints game, in 1998...last game of the season IIRC. My buddy who I was with, was a smoker, I walked into the lounge with him, and the place was thick with smoke. Through the burning nicotine smoke, we saw Leon Seals with his son, hanging out. Dr Sacks' son (about 8 or 9 I am guessing) was wearing a white, Bills, Seals jersey. We went up and said hello, and the guy was super nice. He was really jazzed about the way the Bills were playing, and kept saying, "man, Bruce has still got it." He said he and his kids were all big Bills fans, his son doesn't believe him that he played for the Bills. He asked me and my buddy to verify for him! He baught us each a beer, I got my program signed. I got a bunch of other guys to sign that same program (RJ, Moulds, Lonnie Johnson, Quinn Early amongst them) but they were singing along the sidelines, as the game was winding down. All nice guys, but Dr Sack was awesome!

Met alot of players, through knowing Cindy (#89) and working with the Blue Coats. The one no one has mentioned yet, was Russ Brandon. I was introduced to him and his parents at some Bills event I was at, since he's from Syracuse.

I went to Jim Kelly's football camp when I was growing up and met quite a few NFL players...

Kelly of course, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, Steve Tasker, Dan Marino, Warren Moon, and some other defensive players for the Bills(DBs, can't remember who to be honest). Kelly was hilarious because you would see him riding his golf cart full speed all over the place and almost running over people with it...

In the early to mid 90's I had the opportunity to work in the media, in which I was able to come in contact with and meet alot of members of the team. I was in my early twenties, and in some situations trying to break in felt overwhelmed. Some guys were really great, while others...well I just say some were great. Here is a brief run down of my experience.

Steve Tasker - A great guy (we all know). Always took the time to answer questions from anyone, regardless if he seemed to keep repeating himself. Never talked down to anyone.

Nate Odoms - Pretty cool - Met him in a more personal situation was a funny guy, sorry to see him leave for Seattle.

Russell Copeland - Russell Copeland

Nate Turner - Short lived Bills career, but a great guy and funny. Was his a wing man a couple of times... and had NO PROBLEM with that

Thurman \ Jim \ Bruce \ Andre - Anyone remember NETWORKS. No real interaction with these guys, but a little casual conversation

Other Bills

Ruben Gant - I was very young and much in awe because he was a Bill - but very nice

Jim Braxton - A hell of a guy...he is missed

Of all of the players I met, interviewed or interacted with my all time favorite is not a Bill.

Marcus Allen - After the Bills AFC victory over the Chiefs, I was in the Chiefs lockerroom looking for interviews as the Bills lockerroom was an absolute madhouse. I was able to get to Marcus in a one-on-one situation. I was the classic "Deer in the Headlight" and he could tell. He practically guided me through the interview until the end. But the best part of meeting him, was the following week in Atlanta, for the Superbowl, when I saw him getting out of a limo at the Mariott Marquis (the players hotel) and before I could say anything, Marcus remembered me and acknowledged me.

Great storry Senator, I also ran into Andre, almost literally, back in 20002 or 2003 (can't remember), at UB when they had the Bills vs. the NFL Allstars flag football game. Long storry but thanks to Dan Marino and Jeff Delenbach my kids who have gorwn up Bills fans in South Florida got to meet and get pictures of some of the greatest Bills from the super bowl years. Mary Delenbach and I saw the kids all go in the locker room with the players and we waited for them to come out. After about half an hour we decided to go in after them and that's when, as I opened an interior door, there was Andres who was still in fantastic shape. I also took a peek into one of the training rooms and there was Jim sitting on a training table with a huge ice pack on his knee, drinking a beer. Somebody mentioned "the Fridge" earlier and he was there as well. The "allstars had on red jersey's and the Bills Blue. The Fridge had to cut open the sides of his XXX large jersey just to get it on.

Say hi to my old buddy the Dean, it's good to hear that he's still enjoying his drunches!!! Ask him if he's seen Ruben lately or if he's gotten probed, he should know what I mean.

Reed's 'ripped', no doubt, BD - I think his body fat content is like 0% or something!

I'll pass along you greetings to Brian, but will have to ask the good man from St. Augustine what the heck you're talkin' about with this 'gotten probed?' - I'm sure it'll be 'entertaining'! Cheers! :ph34r:

Thurman Thomas - 1995 at a bar in Charlotte. He just got off the plane and was a bit tipsy. Saw me and put me in a headlock because I had on a Kelly Jersey. Great guy. He wanted to chat with us longer, but former Buffalo sports guy Chuck Howard showed up and tried to get Thurman to talk. He was having none of that and spent time speak with me and my buddy. Poor Chuck tried and tried for 30 minutes to make headway with him. TT didn't like the way Chuck treated him during his sports anchor days in Buffalo. TT signed everything we put in from of him and posted for pictures.

James Lofton - 1997 at another Charlotte bar after a Bills Panthers preseason game. He was surprised to be recognized and signed my game ticket. We spoke about some of his great games. I even bought him a beer. Very personable.

Carlton Bailey - 2002 I did a story on him for my magazine on life after football. Funny and personable.

Frank Reich - 2002 He was my coverboy for this issue on life after sports. He was one of my favorites growing up.

Saw Biscuit at The Pentacle in Depew one time. His shoulders were so much wider than his thin waist. That's why he could bring down those running backs easily.

Was in Seattle barhopping with a bunch of Bills fans the night before the game and we saw Thurman in one of the bars. He was out with the bruised kidney at the time.

At the 2001 San Diego game, Steve Christie showed up at the Bills Backers large tailgate. He was there to ask Butler for a job (had been cut just before the opener). He was very nice and posed for all pictures and signed all autographs. One of the people in our group let him sit in their folding chair in return for an autograph on the chair.

Not so much when I mentioned Bruce Smith's new autographing habit to him last year, though. Did I tell you about that?

Yeah. You mentioned it when we were in Pittsburgh.

So maybe you can answer my original question: what was biscuit like? Do you think he would've turned down a 7 year old's autograph request in the meadowlands parking lot?

probably would have signed unless there was a crowd

I met Harry Jacobs during his playing days. He wasn't that big but played with a lot of heart. He talked about working a job during the off season and did a lot of work with church groups. Very nice guy. Met Joe D. last month. He was very funny and still looks in great shape. He talked about wanting to kick Gene Upshaw's ass. Intense guy but was very friendly.

It's funny that this was brought up because my dad and I were just talking about it this weekend. After the Bills/Giants game in NJ in 1990 (i was 7) we saw biscuit in the parking lot talking to two women. I wanted to get his autograph, but my dad wouldn't let me. He later told me that Bennett was known for having a surly demeanor and he didn't want me to be disappointed. Has anyone met Biscuit before? What was he like? I

I have seen Bennett numerous times, at training camp, at autograph sessions at the mall, etc, and he always seemed like he was above signing autographs, he even barked at a little girl at the mall during an autograph signing because she wasn't moving fast enough for his liking.

However on a more postive note, I once asked Carlton Bailey for an autograph, thanked him for it, and he told me he should be thanking me instead for being a fan and wanting his autograph, very nice and classy!!!

It's funny that this was brought up because my dad and I were just talking about it this weekend. After the Bills/Giants game in NJ in 1990 (i was 7) we saw biscuit in the parking lot talking to two women. I wanted to get his autograph, but my dad wouldn't let me. He later told me that Bennett was known for having a surly demeanor and he didn't want me to be disappointed. Has anyone met Biscuit before? What was he like? I also saw Mark Campbell and Teague hanging out at Sky bar once. And in an unrelated story, I saw Donavan Mcnabb (guy is a freakin monster) at a bar in Rochester once (he was in town for the wedding of one of his syracuse buddies), I was drunk and shook his hand and told him I was a fan. Then I told him Bledsoe had a better arm than him, he wasn't amused.

Perhaps your Dad might have been thinking of this... :ph34r:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/04299..._124-4934.shtml

I met Harry Jacobs during his playing days. He wasn't that big but played with a lot of heart. He talked about working a job during the off season and did a lot of work with church groups. Very nice guy. Met Joe D. last month. He was very funny and still looks in great shape. He talked about wanting to kick Gene Upshaw's ass. Intense guy but was very friendly.

[/quote

I was working at the Courier Express while going to school in 1967 and one saturday I was off at about 3 am and on my way home one of my tires blew out. A car pulls up and a guy gets out and helps me change the tire. It was Harry Jacobs. Very nice guy. Part of the best linebacking group the bills ever had...Jacobs, Tracy and Stratton. Actually part of perhaps the best defense. Day Dunaway Sestak McDole, Byrd and Edgerson (with Pork Chop Warner) Saimes and Clark. Yup..that was one hell of a defense.