Turk Schonert is an amalgamation of 3 geniuses

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you have forgotten how terrible this team looked all last offseason and how disorganized the offense was? I haven't. This year they look much better at this point than they ever did last year. And no, it isn't what I've heard. Smart people don't trust hearsay. I go by what I have seen of the OTAs and looking back at where the team was last year at this time. There's a significant difference in how the offense was functioning.

And you are so quick to dismiss any positive chance the offense has. Yet you have no basis for your assessment either. You shouldn't throw stones when you live in a glass house. I think that rule is appropriate. I am at least basing my positive assessment on what I have seen. You are just dismissive based on nothing, except your well known hatred for Jauron, which you have never actually substantiated either. So be as dismissive as you like, but try to do so with some actual basis as opposed to just rampant negativity.

If you want to draw a conclusion on the offensive improvement based on OTA's then you're entitled to do that. Just don't expect many others to buy it. I myself will wait to see results against a real opponent in a real game. For the record, I don't hate Jauron. I think he a very high quality person. I just don't think he can be a winning head coach in the NFL, and that opinion is drawn from watching his career very closely. I live in Chicago, followed the Bears while he coached here and have done the same during his time with the Bills. I think his approach to football is overly cautious and that permeates his decision making as a coach. I don't believe that his approach along with winning talent will produce playoff victories ever in his career. While this is my opinion, his coaching results support it and I have seen nothing from him that suggests he'll change his approach to the game.

"We weren't built for an all out aerial assault last year and the team should have known that before hiring a guy who really didn't know how to run an offense that did anything else. "

Care to explain this little nugget? Steve Fairchild was perhaps the most conservative non-aerial offensive coordinators I've ever witnessed in 2007. They did NOT hire him before last year. He was actually a good playcaller in the second half of 2006 and he was NOT responsible for the "aerial assault" playcalling in St. Louis. That was Mike Martz.

What you said there made no sense at all.

Really? I thought Fairchild was pretty clear about it when he said that he intended to throw the ball more and open the playbook all the way to allow us to make a lot more plays deep and long in the passing game. He said we were going to use Marshawn like Martz used Faulk in the STL. What about that suggested to you that he was going to be a Conservative playcaller. Those statements, along with the significant focus on the passing game in the OTAs and preseason last year would lead one to the logical conclusion that they were going to be a through the air kind of team. That clearly wasn't the case. Maybe you don' remember, but that's the case. Check out the archives in the Buffalo News and on BB.com. Maybe those sights are just "BS" as some have cited, but they give you the flavor of the sh-t that was coming out at the time. You're interpretation of the smell is way off.

If you want to draw a conclusion on the offensive improvement based on OTA's then you're entitled to do that. Just don't expect many others to buy it. I myself will wait to see results against a real opponent in a real game. For the record, I don't hate Jauron. I think he a very high quality person. I just don't think he can be a winning head coach in the NFL, and that opinion is drawn from watching his career very closely. I live in Chicago, followed the Bears while he coached here and have done the same during his time with the Bills. I think his approach to football is overly cautious and that permeates his decision making as a coach. I don't believe that his approach along with winning talent will produce playoff victories ever in his career. While this is my opinion, his coaching results support it and I have seen nothing from him that suggests he'll change his approach to the game.

As I've stated before, I believe to you, there were a lot of factors in Chicago at that time that were involved in that bad record, and one quarter of a season in Detroit isn't enough to make a judgment. Maybe you are right, and I have said that Jauron really has this season to show something, and after that, he'll be gone, for better or worse.

Can't I at least Billeave that we'll have a super successful year?

<walks away head bowed kicking dust up muttering to self>

Sure you can. NFL Network ran an offseason commercial a couple of years ago -- players from different teams, some that didn't make the playoffs, singing "Tomorrow" from "Annie." In fact, the tagline at the end read something like, "We're all undefeated now." That's what I was thinking of when I typed the post.

And now that song is worming its way into my ear ... nooooooo ....

Really? I thought Fairchild was pretty clear about it when he said that he intended to throw the ball more and open the playbook all the way to allow us to make a lot more plays deep and long in the passing game. He said we were going to use Marshawn like Martz used Faulk in the STL. What about that suggested to you that he was going to be a Conservative playcaller. Those statements, along with the significant focus on the passing game in the OTAs and preseason last year would lead one to the logical conclusion that they were going to be a through the air kind of team. That clearly wasn't the case. Maybe you don' remember, but that's the case. Check out the archives in the Buffalo News and on BB.com. Maybe those sights are just "BS" as some have cited, but they give you the flavor of the sh-t that was coming out at the time. You're interpretation of the smell is way off.

The Bills doing a 180 degree turn in philosophy from what was said before the 2007 season and what actually happened during the 2007 season has NOTHING to do with your comment regarding whether we were built for an "all out" aerial assault. They never TRIED anything resembling a "passing attack" let alone the "all out" variety. Maybe if the Bills actually USE Marshawn Lynch's god given abilities to CATCH and RUN with the football will we all see how awfully stupid it was that he gathered in a measly 18 catches in 2007. That stat alone makes me think that Dick Jauron is an idiot for not getting involved when Fairchild was avoiding Lynch's most dangerous asset week after week after week. Thankfully Fairchild's gone and Dick Jauron is next on the chopping block if he doesn't squash his scaredy-cat act and start letting the players play to their strengths. Until I see it with my own eyes, I will continue to doubt the man's football intelligence and question his current lofty position as an NFL head coach.

I just found the exact quote that I was talking about. Pretty funny in hindsight.

I think in the practices I saw, J.P. Losman looked better in Buffalo than Ben Roethlisberger looked in Pittsburgh. That's not to dog Big Ben either, because he looked fine adjusting to Bruce Arians' new offense. But on successive plays into a stiff breeze at St. John Fisher College on Friday afternoon, Losman completed a 47-yard go route to Roscoe Parrish, then pump-faked to the right and lasered a 32-yarder up the left sideline to Lee Evans. Never thought I'd say this, but the Bills have their quarterback of the future in Losman.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ.../30/mmqb/4.html

Based on everything that I have seen of this offense in the OTAs and everything that is being reported on the team, thre should be a marked and positive difference in the the offensive scheme and the way the Bills approach the game on that side of the ball.

Let's be honest - don't we say this every year at this time?

The Bills doing a 180 degree turn in philosophy from what was said before the 2007 season and what actually happened during the 2007 season has NOTHING to do with your comment regarding whether we were built for an "all out" aerial assault. They never TRIED anything resembling a "passing attack" let alone the "all out" variety. Maybe if the Bills actually USE Marshawn Lynch's god given abilities to CATCH and RUN with the football will we all see how awfully stupid it was that he gathered in a measly 18 catches in 2007. That stat alone makes me think that Dick Jauron is an idiot for not getting involved when Fairchild was avoiding Lynch's most dangerous asset week after week after week. Thankfully Fairchild's gone and Dick Jauron is next on the chopping block if he doesn't squash his scaredy-cat act and start letting the players play to their strengths. Until I see it with my own eyes, I will continue to doubt the man's football intelligence and question his current lofty position as an NFL head coach.

IMO, Jauron is a predictable NFL HC. His first two seasons he went the route of allowing an OC to be pass happy, though the Bears were not a playoff team. Consequently, DJ offenses since 01 have been very conservative. His last 2 OC's (Shoop and Fairchild) have both employed methodical, run first type offenses that rarely gamble. They remain offenses that will rarely put up big performances, and usually at the bottom of the NFL in points scored. Defense will always be a priority to DJ, despite what is said in the media.

I don't see a departure from this conservative philosophy. In light of a young QB and rookie OC, Jauron's offensive gameplans will mesh with his defensive ones and demonstrate a reliance on safe plays. Whether or not he's more apt to take chances this year, given that this is his year or else remains to be seen. Needless to say, it'll be interesting to see how he coaches with his job potentially on the line.

Your rant proved my point.

No one said they were. What's your point?

Oh, I must have been confused by the "Based on everything that I have seen of this offense in the OTAs" and the "I go by what I have seen of the OTAs" lines.

Carry on.

Oh, I must have been confused by the "Based on everything that I have seen of this offense in the OTAs" and the "I go by what I have seen of the OTAs" lines.

Carry on.

Ummm...just because the OTAs aren't open to "the public" doesn't mean no one is there. And just because someone is on this message board doesn't mean they're considered "the public" by the Bills. More than a few people on this board have access to the team beyond what "the public" is allowed.

That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

I remember during Bills camp last year Peter King said that Losman clearly looked better than Rothlesberger. I forget who ended up having a better season.

Agreed. The problem is these writers don't pay attention to the other details....Big Ben is going against one of the best Defenses in the NFL, in training camp and you are going to expect him to look average.....

The fact that JP was having so much success in training camp is indicative of more how bad our defense was than JP being stellar.

Ben is a super talent who was nurtured carefully and is paying back huge dividends.....Blame Jacksoville for not making the trade with the Bills..

Agreed. The problem is these writers don't pay attention to the other details....Big Ben is going against one of the best Defenses in the NFL, in training camp and you are going to expect him to look average.....

The fact that JP was having so much success in training camp is indicative of more how bad our defense was than JP being stellar.

Ben is a super talent who was nurtured carefully and is paying back huge dividends.....Blame Jacksoville for not making the trade with the Bills..

Look, when Peter King was at the camp he just observed a snapshot in time. Nothing more. Those who attended camp regularly, both in reporting capacities and as casual fans, know that JP struggled much more than in the previous year's camp and pre-season. It's fair to say Edwards had a better overall camp and pre-season than JP had last year. JP wows the crowd with his nice long tosses but those are NOT high percentage plays that sustain drives and are too easily taken away by defenses geared to do just that. And we witnessed that last season.

My hope is that with JP coming in as the number 2 he feels less pressure and has a better camp and pre-season that will either push Edwards to perform better or really give the coaches something to think about. I'm not convinced he'll do this given his history but it's something that would be nice to see.

GO BILLS!!!

My hope is that with JP coming in as the number 2 he feels less pressure and has a better camp and pre-season that will either push Edwards to perform better or really give the coaches something to think about. I'm not convinced he'll do this given his history but it's something that would be nice to see. GO BILLS!!!

Precisely what has JP done in "his history" to make you think he'll do anything short of showing up, working hard and being prepared for the moment his number may be called?

Precisely what has JP done in "his history" to make you think he'll do anything short of showing up, working hard and being prepared for the moment his number may be called?

Precisely, JP has NEVER laid undisputed claim to the job. Precisely, he's NEVER took a hold of it and removed ALL doubt that the job is his. Precisely, JP have NEVER shown the consistency required to be a successful starter in the NFL.

Now of course you and others will argue vehemently that JP was mishandled from the start and that the Bills are the blueprint for fu*king up a young QB. And perhaps you and everyone else is correct about that. Still doesn't change the fact that JP NEVER took a stranglehold on the job when given the opportunities to do just that.

I have no doubt he'll show up, work hard, be the consumate team player, and wait for his next opportunity. And when that next opportunity comes, I hope he'll FINALLY grab the job by the balls and remove any doubt as to who the best QB on the team really is.

GO BILLS!!!