Lynch's Statement

VOR

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much what most suspected he would say. I can buy his explanation, but I still don't think it was wise for him (or moreover his lawyers) to wait so long to comment, publicly, on the incident. His lawyer, or agent, should have released some sort of statement early on...it will be nice when this whole thing is forgotten. Yes, I realize that everything the Lynch camp was perfectly legal, but that lawyer has to realize that this particular client is not just an average person. Any time he is involved in anything out of the ordinary, gossip an innuendo will swirl. I think his lawyer served him poorly in this case. Even if Lynch gets the lightest of punishments, his reputation took a shot, in somes view. Releasing the same sort of statement two and half or three weeks ago, would have minimized the damage.

All in all, a fine piece of lawyering by Mr. Caffery. Of course this will do nothing to assuage those who can't forgive him for the PR hit taken by Lynch and the Bills' organization for the delays in making a statement. Too bad. It's pretty clear why they had to wait and why he'll have much additional lawyering to do in staving off the impending civil suit. I look for it to settle rather soon. I feel Shpeley's lawyer has erred with his public comments and has hurt his client's case. He should have taken a page out of Caffery's book and waited to say anthying as well.

GO BILLS!!!

From reading that lawyer speak, I think we can all agree that nobody will change their minds on what happened based on this letter. If you have been accepting Lynch's alibi all along you will remain satisfied, and if you think he was more culpable than you believe the attorney just typed out whatever BS he had to to make this plea legal.

Either way, it's over but not forgotten.

PR hit?

Maybe the Buffalo sports radio has focused on this, since the Sabres season is over and there is nothing else to discuss, but let me be clear, nobody outside of Buffalo (maybe only Mike Florio's website) cares about or are concerned about this. I live in California and as a Bills' fan was originally concerned about the neagative national exposure it would cause. But nobody really cares about it nor will remember it.

Honestly, it sounds more like a bunch of bs from a drunk chick that wants a payday.

From reading that lawyer speak, I think we can all agree that nobody will change their minds on what happened based on this letter. If you have been accepting Lynch's alibi all along you will remain satisfied, and if you think he was more culpable than you believe the attorney just typed out whatever BS he had to to make this plea legal.

Maybe you can start another thread about it for old times sake, eh? :wallbash:

PR hit?

Maybe the Buffalo sports radio has focused on this, since the Sabres season is over and there is nothing else to discuss, but let me be clear, nobody outside of Buffalo (maybe only Mike Florio's website) cares about or are concerned about this. I live in California and as a Bills' fan was originally concerned about the neagative national exposure it would cause. But nobody really cares about it nor will remember it.

Honestly, it sounds more like a bunch of bs from a drunk chick that wants a payday.

I agree entirely. Didn't mean to imply it was a big deal anywhere else but Buffalo. But PR hits are PR hits, local or otherwise. And many of the locals were pissed that Lynch/Caffery didn't say anything sooner. I'm just suggesting they never should have in the first place. Caffery had a responsibility to wait. Not popular in Buffalo, but the right thing to do for his client.

GO BILLS!!!

I understand why people and players, under advice, make these kinds of public statements. But I personally hated that statement. And think less of Marshawn now, even though I still have zero idea of whether or not he knew he hit the woman.

Nothing in that statement made me think of Marshawn Lynch. If the lawyer wanted to say it on his behalf, it shouldn't have been written in the first person like that.

This doesn't sound sincere from Marshawn Lynch in ANY way.

Based on what I read, I think everyone would agree that whatever opinion they had before this statement has basically remained unchanged. If you believed Lynch before, then you most likely still do. If you thought he was lying, then you probably see this as just his lawyer doing whatever he had to do in order to close this case up.

Regardless, it's done but I think it will still be on peoples' minds for awhile.

I understand why people and players, under advice, make these kinds of public statements. But I personally hated that statement. And think less of Marshawn now, even though I still have zero idea of whether or not he knew he hit the woman.

Nothing in that statement made me think of Marshawn Lynch. If the lawyer wanted to say it on his behalf, it shouldn't have been written in the first person like that.

Put yourself in his situation. What would you have done? Assume you didn't know you hit someone. Would you have come out and started to talking to police and the DA?

As long as the specter of the civil suit looms, it's perfectly understandable. Even if Lynch were the most skilled orator of the age, Caffery would still be right in NOT letting him make statements, written or otherwise. Until the civil matter is resolved, even the most sincere of Lynch's feelings on the matter need to be kept under wraps. That entire statement was a salvo across the bow of the future plaintif.

GO BILLS!!!

Put yourself in his situation. What would you have done? Assume you didn't know you hit someone. Would you have come out and started to talking to police and the DA?

No. I likely would have done exactly what Lynch and Cafferty did, EXCEPT this statement. Marshawn Lynch doesn't talk like that. It made it TOTALLY disingenuous to me for the statement to be so very legal and precise, when Marshawn Lynch as a person is the total opposite of that. They should have gone one of two ways, either release the statement from the lawyer using "Marshawn" and "he" instead of "I", or put ALL of those things in Marshawn-speak. It needs to sound like he is genuinely sorry, and when there is not one sentence in there that sounds like it came from Marshawn Lynch's mouth, it reeks of being contrived, or at least not doing what you want it to do.

As long as the specter of the civil suit looms, it's perfectly understandable. Even if Lynch were the most skilled orator of the age, Caffery would still be right in NOT letting him make statements, written or otherwise. Until the civil matter is resolved, even the most sincere of Lynch's feelings on the matter need to be kept under wraps. That entire statement was a salvo across the bow of the future plaintif.

GO BILLS!!!

I was only talking about the statement itself, as released today. See above. I think they handled the case well.

I agree entirely. Didn't mean to imply it was a big deal anywhere else but Buffalo. But PR hits are PR hits, local or otherwise. And many of the locals were pissed that Lynch/Caffery didn't say anything sooner. I'm just suggesting they never should have been in the first place. Caffery had a responsibility to wait. Not popular in Buffalo, but the right thing to do for his client.

GO BILLS!!!

I would have agreed with you about 10 days ago...but the longer this went on, the more people started talking about it. I guess I listen to too much sports talk radio, living in Austin, we get FOX Sports radio and ESPN Radio. Marshawn, and this incident came up numerous times, in talking about the troubles the NFL has in its' offseason every year. Anytiem any of hte NFL talking heads did a segment, it pretty much came up, as part of all of the ongoing legal and off the field troubles around the leauge. I heard someone on ESPN, lump Lynch in with Javon Walker, Pacman Jones and Chris Henry. I think it is absurd, but that is the way it goes...

No. I likely would have done exactly what Lynch and Cafferty did, EXCEPT this statement. Marshawn Lynch doesn't talk like that. It made it TOTALLY disingenuous to me for the statement to be so very legal and precise, when Marshawn Lynch as a person is the total opposite of that. They should have gone one of two ways, either release the statement from the lawyer using "Marshawn" and "he" instead of "I", or put ALL of those things in Marshawn-speak. It needs to sound like he is genuinely sorry, and when there is not one sentence in their that sounds like it came from Marshawn Lynch's mouth, it reeks of being contrived, or at least not doing what you want it to do.

"Marshawn-speak?" WTF is that? :wallbash:

Did you think he'd write the statement like he writes his blogs? Have you ever seen a written statement from ANY player that sounds like they wrote it alone? What next, having less respect for someone because they show up to a legal proceeding in a suit instead of a T-shirt, jeans, and bling?

And what did you want to hear from Marshawn, to show how genuinely sorry he was?

No. I likely would have done exactly what Lynch and Cafferty did, EXCEPT this statement. Marshawn Lynch doesn't talk like that. It made it TOTALLY disingenuous to me for the statement to be so very legal and precise, when Marshawn Lynch as a person is the total opposite of that. They should have gone one of two ways, either release the statement from the lawyer using "Marshawn" and "he" instead of "I", or put ALL of those things in Marshawn-speak. It needs to sound like he is genuinely sorry, and when there is not one sentence in there that sounds like it came from Marshawn Lynch's mouth, it reeks of being contrived, or at least not doing what you want it to do.

this post is a new low for you.

Did you think he'd write the statement like he writes his blogs? Have you ever seen a written statement from ANY player that sounds like they wrote it alone? What next, having less respect for someone because they show up to a legal proceeding in a suit instead of a T-shirt, jeans, and bling?

And what did you want to hear from Marshawn, to show how genuinely sorry he was?

For the benefit of those who are uninititated in "Marshawn-speak" here are some good resources,

http://www.yardbarker.com/marshawnlynch (Lynch's extremely informative blog)

(Lynch "writing" his blog with the help of some his like minded friends)

"Marshawn speak":

"Uhh...uhhh....I didn't do nuffin' to nobody. 'Da po-lice can't prove sh-t, an' I ain't gonna let some fat assed white B word get me no felony rap. F-ck dat."

The lawyer most certainly did help Marshawn, I would say.

SHOW ME DA MONEY, SHOW ME DA MONEY!!!

Once the civil suit is over, he'll have a press conference and make a public apology, but why would he now? It just gives them more ammo to jack up the rediculously high payday that the woman will get.

It makes no sense whatsoever for him to have a press conference now, or to write a letter himself in his own "language"????

I figured as much. I'm sure that if he were white, things would be different.

Wrong again, had this been a guy like Whitner, Lee, or Greer the contrast between their speaking/writing style wouldn't be as rediculous as it is between Lynch's grammar and his statement. That being said I never expected Lynch to write his own statement as part of a plea bargain.

I think you're missing my point. Marshawn is a personality. It's a very likable and engaging one. We know how he speaks. I love listening to him talk. And it's not just when he is joking around. When he is serious, he has a very distinct way of communicating, and it's not only very effective, it's extremely personal and ingratiating. You like the guy when you listen to him.

What one, IMO, wants out of a statement like this, explaining your situation and how heartfelt you are about the fact your car hit a person and caused injury to that person -- and accepting responsibility that you caused it, even if you didn't know you did it and should not be blamed for it -- it should SOUND like it came from your heart. That YOU feel this. Not your lawyer feels this for you. Again, I understand why people do this, but Marshawn Lynch is a unique and effective communicator, IMO, and this doesn't come from Marshawn Lynch even though it says "I".

It's like it was written in French or Spanish. The stuff in it is great, but it's in a completely different form and language and so it doesn't appear to come from him at all.

And the answer to your question is yes, you should have less respect for someone that shows up to a legal proceeding in T-shirt, jeans and bling. Everyone knows that's a blatant show of disrespect. And I am someone who has always been against the establishment and who wears t-shirts and jeans everywhere, except to court.

I think you're missing my point. Marshawn is a personality. It's a very likable and engaging one. We know how he speaks. I love listening to him talk. And it's not just when he is joking around. When he is serious, he has a very distinct way of communicating, and it's not only very effective, it's extremely personal and ingratiating. You like the guy when you listen to him.

What one, IMO, wants out of a statement like this, explaining your situation and how heartfelt you are about the fact your car hit a person and caused injury to that person -- and accepting responsibility that you caused it, even if you didn't know you did it and should not be blamed for it -- it should SOUND like it came from your heart. That YOU feel this. Not your lawyer feels this for you. Again, I understand why people do this, but Marshawn Lynch is a unique and effective IMO communicator, and this doesn't come from Marshawn Lynch even though it says "I".

It's like it was written in French or Spanish. The stuff in it is great, but it's in a completely different form and language and so it doesn't appear to come from him at all.

And the answer to your question is yes, you should have less respect to someone that shows up to a legal proceeding in T-shirt, jeans and bling. Everyone knows that's a blatant show of disrespect. And I am someone who has always been against the establishment and who wears t-shirts and jeans everywhere, except to court.

This statement is basically a written form of showing-up to court in a suit. It's a public statement and it can't contain "Marshawn-speak." And as has been said, there's still a civil trial and he can't dwell on apologizing to the heavens because it could possibly affect the outcome.

What one, IMO, wants out of a statement like this, explaining your situation and how heartfelt you are about the fact your car hit a person and caused injury to that person -- and accepting responsibility that you caused it, even if you didn't know you did it and should not be blamed for it -- it should SOUND like it came from your heart. That YOU feel this. Not your lawyer feels this for you. Again, I understand why people do this, but Marshawn Lynch is a unique and effective IMO communicator, and this doesn't come from Marshawn Lynch even though it says "I".

And the answer to your question is yes, you should have less respect to someone that shows up to a legal proceeding in T-shirt, jeans and bling. Everyone knows that's a blatant show of disrespect. And I am someone who has always been against the establishment and who wears t-shirts and jeans everywhere, except to court.

I was hoping that Lynch was going to speak to the media, maybe make a Giambi type non-apology apology where he at least shows a little contrition.

I'll take him at his word and move on. He now knows he's under the microscope though, so I will be much less forgiving if he finds himself in trouble with the law again.

Agreed.

I don't know why some people are so hung up on the statement. He takes responsibility, apologizes to all parties involved, but does not go into specifics because of a pending lawsuit. What else would you expect.

No permanent damage was done unless he gets in trouble again, which could probably be said for all of us at one time or another.