An offseason of distractions

You want to know what is so disappointing?

This team is supposed to be a "team of character." With Marv, and Dick, (probably Brandon too, i'm not sure) character seems to be an incredibly important factor with who they let on this team.

But when this offseason is talked about in the future, it will always be known as the "offseason of distractions."

that or it will be the offseason where bills players stopped acting like princesses and it lead to the bills triumphant return to the playoffs!!

if we make the playoffs and have a solid season nobody is going to care about the character of anybody on the team...well i cant say anybody..i can say i wont though! :D

I really don't care about "character" off the field. Sure you'd like your players to have class on the field, and hopefully off of it too.

But having good character is probably one of the last things i'd worry about with this team. A lack of talent and natural ability...maybe. Why get all worked up about things that happen in their personal lives? I know some of these private matters may intertwine with their job as a Buffalo Bill but for the most part...I just want to see the Bills kick some ass instead of getting kicked in the ass.

This team is supposed to be a "team of character." With Marv, and Dick, (probably Brandon too, i'm not sure) character seems to be an incredibly important factor with who they let on this team.

But when this offseason is talked about in the future, it will always be known as the "offseason of distractions."

There's a reason for the dearth of worthwhile posts during the offseason.

There's nothing worth discussing.

Trust me on something. Once things get rolling in about 5 weeks, no will talk about this offseason. They won't talk about it in the future. They won't talk about it in the present. They won't talk about it in past imperfect.

It just won't be talked about at all.

that or it will be the offseason where bills players stopped acting like princesses and it lead to the bills triumphant return to the playoffs!!

if we make the playoffs and have a solid season nobody is going to care about the character of anybody on the team...well i cant say anybody..i can say i wont though! :lol:

Yeah dude, It's about time we had some SOB's. It's freakin' football!!!

Trust me, overall I want a team with good character but we need some Mother :P ers too. If I was running a hospital I'd want a hospital full of Dr.'s with spotless character(yeah right) but this is a football team and a few bad apples can stir the pot from time to time. This team has needed their pot stirred for a while.

More then "Good Character" guys I'd rather Guy's with desire and heart, that plus talent wins SB's not a spotless police record.

Bullschitt. A non-event involving Hardy (no crime, no injuries, no nothing) and a traffic violation involving Lynch that will also result in no suspension.

It's personally embarrassing for Lynch, and he certainly should know better, but characterizing these events as an "offseason of distractions" is freaking ridiculous.

It's far more of a distraction that Peters didn't show up for minicamp and an Evans extension hasn't been completed.

These aren't choir boys, and anyone who expects them to be is more than a bit naive.

I really don't care about "character" off the field. Sure you'd like your players to have class on the field, and hopefully off of it too.

But having good character is probably one of the last things i'd worry about with this team. A lack of talent and natural ability...maybe. Why get all worked up about things that happen in their personal lives? I know some of these private matters may intertwine with their job as a Buffalo Bill but for the most part...I just want to see the Bills kick some ass instead of getting kicked in the ass.

I disagree, in todays NFL, I don't want guys who are going to be in situations that can give the league reason to suspend them.

They don't have to be choir boys donating all their spare time to feeding the homeless and saving puppies, just stay out of situations that could lead to legal problems and possible suspensions. I don't care if they are the best player at their position, I wouldn't want a guy on the team who is a serious risk for facing a suspension because that talent on the field is useless sitting in the press box/crowd serving a suspension.

Now we can all brush off the reported incidents that happened this offseason as nothing (Lynch "hit and Run", Hardy "alleged gun pointing", Roscoes DUI, etc), but do you really think that the NFL won't be keeping a little bit more of an eye on those players now? These guys won't be considered "first time offenders" to the NFL anymore

And yes these incidents are distractions. It takes focus away from the team when the press is coming around trying to find out about what happened, or the police are showing up to question and they are forced to shut down practice early. Now they didn't end up being huge distractions (except for maybe the Lynch one) but they are still distractions.

And the regular season will be referred to as, "the Bills make the playoffs, despite what some overreacting fans label an off-season of distractions"

What's really disappointing is fans are jumping ship and it's only June. If there were distractions during training camp or during the season, it may have ramifications to the team. But running plays without pads on isn't difficult to do under any circumstance. Right or wrong, if the Bills win, the fans will forget the "off-season distractions" real quick...GO BILLS!!!!!

And yes these incidents are distractions. It takes focus away from the team when the press is coming around trying to find out about what happened, or the police are showing up to question and they are forced to shut down practice early. Now they didn't end up being huge distractions (except for maybe the Lynch one) but they are still distractions.

Distractions for whom? When was practice shut down early? Do you seriously believe any players are worried about this stuff? It's the freaking offseason and all they're doing is working out and running around in shorts at a few OTAs.

Now, if this crap happens during the regular season I'll call it a distraction -- right now, it's merely something for football-starved fans and media to expound upon.

I disagree, in todays NFL, I don't want guys who are going to be in situations that can give the league reason to suspend them.

They don't have to be choir boys donating all their spare time to feeding the homeless and saving puppies, just stay out of situations that could lead to legal problems and possible suspensions. I don't care if they are the best player at their position, I wouldn't want a guy on the team who is a serious risk for facing a suspension because that talent on the field is useless sitting in the press box/crowd serving a suspension.

Now we can all brush off the reported incidents that happened this offseason as nothing (Lynch "hit and Run", Hardy "alleged gun pointing", Roscoes DUI, etc), but do you really think that the NFL won't be keeping a little bit more of an eye on those players now? These guys won't be considered "first time offenders" to the NFL anymore

I kind of agree. These guys aren't my heroes or my friends. I don't care what they do as long as they show up on Sunday. If their stupidity causes them to miss games, then I have a problem with them. Don't romanticize the notion of being a fan and pretend like we all have personal investments in these guys. If a player plays well and happens to be a nice guy, then they'll probably be one of the guys I root for a little harder and I might buy their jersey. For those who act poorly, I'll still cheer for them when they play well and remain nonplussed otherwise. I assume that all of you out there who have ripped on Marshawn and Hardy all offseason will still cheer when they score a TD. I would venture to say you might even learn not to personally hate them nearly as much anymore if they score enough. Sports stars don't have an obligation to be model citizens or good role models. They owe no greater responsibility to the public. They do their jobs and get paid for it. If some people want to put them on pedestals and then get heartbroken when they are human, that's your fault.

I would be VERY willing to bet that most of the Bills players thought Marshawn handled this bad situation well and it wasn't hurting the team at all. (The front office likely thinks the opposite). I'm sure the players liked the fact that he was protecting his teammate. Pro players tend to believe the police and press are out to get them, regardless of the validity of that fear. I'm sure players don't think hit and run is a good thing, and they are not glad it happened, but if anything it could have made them closer, supporting him.

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT an apology for his actions or inactions, it is ONLY to say what I think likely happened behind closed doors at OBD after the fact.

I kind of agree. These guys aren't my heroes or my friends. I don't care what they do as long as they show up on Sunday. If their stupidity causes them to miss games, then I have a problem with them. Don't romanticize the notion of being a fan and pretend like we all have personal investments in these guys. If a player plays well and happens to be a nice guy, then they'll probably be one of the guys I root for a little harder and I might buy their jersey. For those who act poorly, I'll still cheer for them when they play well and remain nonplussed otherwise. I assume that all of you out there who have ripped on Marshawn and Hardy all offseason will still cheer when they score a TD. I would venture to say you might even learn not to personally hate them nearly as much anymore if they score enough. Sports stars don't have an obligation to be model citizens or good role models. They owe no greater responsibility to the public. They do their jobs and get paid for it. If some people want to put them on pedestals and then get heartbroken when they are human, that's your fault.

I disagree with that point. I think that that is just something society is now using as a way of excusing the players bad behaviours. What you are basically saying is that as long as they do the job they are payed to do, nothing else they do should matter. The thing is, rightfully so, or not, they are in a position where young children will look up to them and idolize them because they are living out a dream that most young kids have. If this is the case, who should people/children look up to? Why should people care that Clinton had sex with an intern if he was doing his job as president? Should kids not look up to the president as a role model?

When you are a public figure, like an athlete, actor, politician, etc. People (especially children) will look up to you and idolize you, looking up to you as a role model/hero, it comes with the job and that great pay.

I disagree with that point. I think that that is just something society is now using as a way of excusing the players bad behaviours. What you are basically saying is that as long as they do the job they are payed to do, nothing else they do should matter. The thing is, rightfully so, or not, they are in a position where young children will look up to them and idolize them because they are living out a dream that most young kids have. If this is the case, who should people/children look up to? Why should people care that Clinton had sex with an intern if he was doing his job as president? Should kids not look up to the president as a role model?

When you are a public figure, like an athlete, actor, politician, etc. People (especially children) will look up to you and idolize you, looking up to you as a role model/hero, it comes with the job and that great pay.

I figured you would be of that mind, which is why I KIND of agree. If your kid idolizes a moron, it's your job to tell him to look up to someone else, not the moron's job to live up to your kid's expectations. How about we teach our kids too personally admire people like teachers, people who deserve their acclaim. Athletes are commodities and we need to stop idolizing them like they are bigger than life. Teach your kids to aspire to the job, not the person occupying the job at the time.

This is a big pet peeve of mine. Without question this is all conjecture, and we all just have varying opinions on this. There are no facts to back up anyone's opinions. But it's an interesting discussion.

I think people confuse the terms role model and hero when applied to sports stars. And I think that basically all kids know right from wrong. They may not act it, but they basically know it. And I don't think it happens all that much that a kid sees a player do something off the field, and then copies it, or accepts it as cool, or brushes it off as being right when they know it is wrong because their favorite player did it. I bet millions of kids watched Pete Rose over the years and looked up to him as a player. A huge amount hustled like Rose because they saw him do that. They barreled into catchers coming from third because they saw him do it. They copied his swing or his toughness and/or wore his jersey and saved his baseball card because they watched him play and he was a great hitter and player.

I doubt there was more than five kids ever that thought it was okay to bet on baseball games as a player because Pete Rose did. And if they did, they were hopeless to start.

No kid, or extremely few, IMO, thinks it's okay to hit and run now because Marshawn Lynch got away with it. I just don't think that happens. They will cheer for him and wear his jersey and maybe copy his hairstyle, and mimic things he does on the field, but the role model and hero stuff ends there. They basically know right from wrong.

The same way that I doubt kids copy the NFL's great citizens actions off the field. I doubt many 12 year olds see that Donte Whitner is a great guy off the field and start to invite younger kids into their house because they want them to succeed and they know how hard it was being 10 years old two years ago. They, instead, wear Donte Whitners jersey and take 10 year olds and beat the snot out of them and give them wedgies and swirlies because that's what kids do.

This is a big pet peeve of mine. Without question this is all conjecture, and we all just have varying opinions on this. There are no facts to back up anyone's opinions. But it's an interesting discussion.

I think people confuse the terms role model and hero when applied to sports stars. And I think that basically all kids know right from wrong. They may not act it, but they basically know it. And I don't think it happens all that much that a kid sees a player do something off the field, and then copies it, or accepts it as cool, or brushes it off as being right when they know it is wrong because their favorite player did it. A bet millions of kids watched Pete Rose over the years and looked up to him as a player. A huge amount hustled like Rose because they saw him do that. They barreled into catchers coming from third because they saw him do it. They copied his swing or his toughness and/or wore his jersey and saved his baseball card because they watched him play and he was a great hitter and player.

I doubt there was more than five kids ever that thought it was okay to bet on baseball games as a player because Pete Rose did. And if they did, they were hopeless to start.

No kid, or extremely few, IMO, thinks it's okay to hit and run now because Marshawn Lynch got away with it. I just don't think that happens. They will cheer for him and wear his jersey and maybe copy his hairstyle, and mimic things he does on the field, but the role model and hero stuff ends there. They basically know right from wrong.

The same way that I doubt kids copy the NFL's great citizens actions off the field. I doubt many 12 year olds see that Donte Whitner is a great guy off the field and start to invite younger kids into their house because they want them to succeed and they know how hard it was being 10 years old two years ago. They, instead, wear Donte Whitners jersey and take 10 year olds and beat the snot out of them and give them wedgies and swirlies because that's what kids do.

They may not actively conduct hit and run pedestrians.

However, the bigger message is that Marshawn made out by avoiding responsibilty - and everyone else should do it too because it works.

However, the bigger message is that Marshawn made out by avoiding responsibilty - and everyone else should do it too because it works.

Good to know, thanks ML... :P

Next weeks lesson, how to get away with ___________

Right, I'm sure 21 year olds, ten years from now who are 11 today, will run into pedestrians crossing streets and immediately think to themselves, "Ten years ago my main dude Marshawn Lynch got away with it, I can, too!" and speed off when, without it, they would have stopped.

Anyone, who is 21 now, who thinks it's okay to hit and run because a player on the Bills got away with it should be run over by a car, any car.

Right, I'm sure 21 year olds, ten years from now who are 11 today, will run into pedestrians crossing streets and immediately think to themselves, "Ten years ago my main dude Marshawn Lynch got away with it, I can, too!" and speed off when, without it, they would have stopped.

Anyone, who is 21 now, who thinks it's okay to hit and run because a player on the Bills got away with it should be run over by a car, any car.

I think what Obie means is that children may be tempted to think honor, accountablity and responsibility are not important values when their favorite players act this way. Of course, this doesn't mean quality parenting won't overcome it, but it does mean parents have to be more alert than ever in raising their kids NOT to be like the guys they are cheering on the field.

I think what Obie means is that children may be tempted to think honor, accountablity and responsibility are not important values when their favorite players act this way. Of course, this doesn't mean quality parenting won't overcome it, but it does mean parents have to be more alert than ever in raising their kids NOT to be like the guys they are cheering on the field.

I know the theory, I simply don't subscribe to it whatsoever.

I didn't do it myself as a kid, and never thought to. I never met a kid anywhere who did. And I don't even see why they would do it, for the reasons I described above.

It's the same thing IMO as watching violence on television. Some people think it makes kids more violent, I really don't. If that were true, why wouldn't kids who watch good shows act better and be more good if it has that kind of influence? The kids that grew up on TV in the 50s, where most of the shows were WAY less violent and more along the lines of "Father Knows Best" and "Ozzie and Harriet" and "Leave It To Beaver" turned into the 60s teenagers and hippies going one extreme to the other, either throwing ox blood on draft files and killing cops or being flower children abusing dope and loving everyone (until you did anything to them they didn't like, then they turned to pouring ox blood on draft files and killing cops).

I know the theory, I simply don't subscribe to it whatsoever.

I didn't do it myself as a kid, and never thought to. I never met a kid anywhere who did. And I don't even see why they would do it, for the reasons I described above.

It's the same thing IMO as watching violence on television. Some people think it makes kids more violent, I really don't. If that were true, why wouldn't kids who watch good shows act better and be more good if it has that kind of influence? The kids that grew up on TV in the 50s, where most of the shows were WAY less violent and more along the lines of "Father Knows Best" and "Ozzie and Harriet" and "Leave It To Beaver" turned into the 60s teenagers and hippies going one extreme to the other, either throwing ox blood on draft files and killing cops or being flower children abusing dope and loving everyone (until you did anything to them they didn't like, then they turned to pouring ox blood on draft files and killing cops).

I see what you're saying, but keep in mind there is a reason parents shouldn't let their 10 year old kids watch porn or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Kids are impressionable and formative. Parents need to be the ones who impart values on a child's life (obviously), and now athletes are more and more becoming a bad element that parents need to monitor. It's not all or nothing, properly raised kids can think and reason right and wrong for themselves to a degree, but if you aren't careful as a parent your kids will be more vulnerable to the bombardment of pop-culture trash that they constantly face.

Honor, accountability and responsibility are for sale in today's world as long as you have enough money. That's simply a fact. People get away with things because they have money. Kids aren't looking to become famous so the rules won't apply to them anymore, but they need to be more realistic about how life works out. Basically, you have a choice, like all other situations in life, to teach kids an object lesson when you see things like this happen. Life is not fair. Good guys don't always win. Do I think Marshawn hit the girl, knew he hit her and didn't care? No. Frankly, I don't really care. If your kid is busy copying EVERY action of his heroes, then I suggest you spend more time with your kids, cause it would take a pretty dumb kid to aspire to the errors in other's lives.

The biggest distractions are to the players' agents who need to spend more time than usual on the clients who will be making less money than usual on endorsements.

Peters not honoring his contract is a bigger distraction.