Looking for a little help...

Long story short, My fiance and I have finally decided that our small town of Jamestown, NY just has nothing to offer us in terms of starting careers so we're looking to make a move, but are having a hard time finding a place where we can both find work.

She is a NYS certified elementary teacher for PreK-2nd Grades

I'm Sport Management grad (Bachelor of Science) with about 2 years of Law Enforcement experience.

Basically what I'm looking for is an in for her, so if anyone here knows of any schools hiring elementary teachers or a better jobsearch site for teachers since the big 3 (Careerbuilder, Hotjobs, and Monster) are lacking when it comes to those types of job. I know we have a few teachers on this board so any help, even with just a few pointers to resumes and interviews would be extremely helpful.

Myself, I'm a bit more lucky since most places are hiring police, but I'd love to finally make the jump back into sports. If only the Bills or Sabres were hiring... :lol:

Myself, I'm a bit more lucky since most places are hiring police, but I'd love to finally make the jump back into sports. If only the Bills or Sabres were hiring... :lol:

Give Ralph Wilson a call. Maybe he'll hire you to keep tabs on Lynch and Hardy

Long story short, My fiance and I have finally decided that our small town of Jamestown, NY just has nothing to offer us in terms of starting careers so we're looking to make a move, but are having a hard time finding a place where we can both find work.

I'm Sport Management grad (Bachelor of Science) with about 2 years of Law Enforcement experience.

Basically what I'm looking for is an in for her, so if anyone here knows of any schools hiring elementary teachers or a better jobsearch site for teachers since the big 3 (Careerbuilder, Hotjobs, and Monster) are lacking when it comes to those types of job. I know we have a few teachers on this board so any help, even with just a few pointers to resumes and interviews would be extremely helpful.

My sister has been looking for a elementary school job for a while now. Both my other sisters and my mother are teachers. The job market here is incredibly competitive for teachers.

Make a move to where? NY is very competative for Elementary teaching jobs. My wife worked as a short/long term sub for 5 years before she landed a tenure job. You're also a little late in the year for her to be applying. Postings tend to go up around late March/April when they know the the needs for next year. The hiring process takes place in May and June. There will still be jobs popping up, but they usually already have their pool of candidates by now. There are some schools that do the process later though so don't give up on looking.

Don't rely on job sites for teaching jobs, you need to be visiting the schools websites directly. Get a map, open google and go to town.

Don't rely on job sites for teaching jobs, you need to be visiting the schools websites directly. Get a map, open google and go to town.

That's how my friend got his teaching job in South Florida. He got hired as a high school teacher without ever stepping foot in the state. They hired him over the phone. He has since quit, but if you need a teaching job and are willing to move, and have a teaching degree from a NY college, apply in FLA.

Which regions/states/cities have you narrowed down to ? I used to live in Warren, PA and loved coming to Jamestown but can understand lack of opportunities. Here is an opening in my daughter's elementary school (Far western suburb of the Chicagoland area). Plenty of houses for sale around here & I have the NFL Sunday ticket :lol: :

http://www.generalasp.com/SWDP/onlineapp/j...School+Teaching

This site serves most of WNY.

Good luck to her . . . She will likely have to substitute teach for 1-2 years to build up goodwill, unless she knows a current teacher or administrator. Getting hired as a teacher from an ad online or in the paper is unheard of . . . teacher jobs in WNY is definitely an insiders gig.

WNY School jobs

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it. As for regions, since we are getting married in April here in town, we'd like to keep it withing like a 12 hour drive. I'm partial to smaller towns compared to metropolis' but at this point money and work is the key factor.

Right now the area I like the most with the most opportunity for both of us is Raleigh, NC.

Corps, you're exactly right, its not what you know, its who you know around here and my major connection for her just retired so that didn't help us.

Oh I forgot to add earlier, she's already has a one year of UPK teaching under her belt in the local school system...however her positions wasn't paid by the system, but by the church it was held in which received and hoarded all the funds from the state for itself paying their staff substantially less money than the rest of the district was making.

come to NC. take it from a former NYS teacher, you won't get a job unless you know someone. You'll have a job here after a 5 minute phone interview.

Its the same situation here in florida. They are hard-up for teachers all over the state, and you can get hired at the drop of a hat.

Its the same situation here in florida. They are hard-up for teachers all over the state, and you can get hired at the drop of a hat.

Could you please post that on a billboard or something here in soCal. Like Fan in San Diego mentioned it's real tough here. They're laying off left and right. We could use some thinning of the herd here. Oh and can you mention too that the mortgage industry is booming there too. :lol:

they have Teacher Fairs in Buffalo where representatives from all over the country come hunting for teachers. most of the time you can get hired that day.

where did she go to college? she could probably contact her old Education Department and find when they are. should be soon since its summer and they want to start hiring now.

As long as you are open to moving out of the area, make sure and do your due dilgence on salaries and benefits.

I'm sure you know there is a wide disparity out there among the states in regards to their commitment to education.

If your open to working in a urban area obviously your opportunities will increase dramatically.

Also, having experience in Special Education (or just highlighting your skills in that area) can really open up possibilities.

they have Teacher Fairs in Buffalo where representatives from all over the country come hunting for teachers. most of the time you can get hired that day.

where did she go to college? she could probably contact her old Education Department and find when they are. should be soon since its summer and they want to start hiring now.

She went to Buff State. I'll have her look into those careerfairs and see if any are coming up. Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone