Interesting Will Wolford comments...

I'm a Louisville fan and while looking on their message board I noticed this post that might interest some of you (FYI, Bob Valvano and Will Wolford do a local morning show in Louisville)...

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17#s=17&amp...9&t=2577743

Posted: 6/13/2008 4:34 PM

Anybody hear Will Wolford this morning on Bob and Will?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Valvano was talking about the Mets coach how he is still on thin ice with his job. Then Bob asked Will if he ever played for a coach on the hot seat and if it made a difference with the players.

Will says yes and talked about his rookie year with the Bills. He said the veteran players hated the coach (Bullough) and were purposely playing bad to lose games so he would be gone (Levy took over the following year).

Will was saying that players were saying things like “you better not make a tackle at the goal line” and such.

Will was just a rookie and said he wasn't exactly sure what to make of things. It’s not surprising to hear this stuff happens, but it was a little surprising to me to hear Will freely talk about a specific instance where this happened.

I'll take a guess at the guy making the quote.....could it be...oh, I don't know....Fred Smerlas?

Sounds like a fix to me. The Bills could have easily been laying points with the favorite all over the bookie world and cashing in. Wolford is a smart guy, he runs a horse stable at times, he knows about the scene.

This is even worse than Spygate when it comes to the integrity of the game. By taping, you may play better. By letting a guy go in for a touchdown, you will play worse.

This is even worse than Spygate when it comes to the integrity of the game. By taping, you may play better. By letting a guy go in for a touchdown, you will play worse.

Good point. The NFL should nullify the Bills' championship that year.

This isn't news.

It's history.

Look it up.

I remember the Simpson Derby in 1968. Going into week 12, PHI was in the driver's seat at 1 - 10, ahead of BUF at 1 - 9 - 1.

For reasons unknown, PHI knocked off NO and ended the season at 2 - 12. The Bills dutifully dumped the last 2 games and ended at 1 - 11 - 1.

I can't speak for the bulk of Bills fans at the time, but in my circle, the Philly defeat of the Saints was cause for jubilation - no high 5's - they were yet to be invented.

The Bills drafted OJ. PHI drafted Purdue's two-way player Leroy Keyes, who hung around for a couple of years.

It's history... :devil:

If I remember correctly Bruce loathed Bullough and was a one of the ringleaders in underplaying for him. One game against Tampa in particular where Bruce instructed players to lay down. I don't agree nor like the idea of our or even other players throwing games because of attitudes. They are paid players and we the fans are the ones who suffer the most when they only care about their priorities first.

I think Fred Smerlas once said, or wrote in a book that when they got in the huddle during Hank's last game, Bruce said something like -Anybody making any f'n tackles, I'll get you (If anyone has the book & it's in there, please quote it).

I think Fred Smerlas once said, or wrote in a book that when they got in the huddle during Hank's last game, Bruce said something like -Anybody making any f'n tackles, I'll get you (If anyone has the book & it's in there, please quote it).

Smerlas wrote a book? You sure?

From the Vote Fred Smerlas thread from last week.

Comment by CISW

2008-06-09 14:07:48

True story:

My wife’s friend managed a bank. One day, a man dressed in camoflage and carrying a rifle walked into the lobby. Security and police were summoned to the scene. The camoflaged rifle carrier was perplexed and dumbfounded when he was approached by security/police - as he explained that his intentions were not to cause a problem or rob the bank (he just came back from hunting) but to simply make a routine bank transaction.

That man: Fred Smerlas.

I think what virtually everyone else has already said accurately describes this moron.

I remember the Simpson Derby in 1968. Going into week 12, PHI was in the driver's seat at 1 - 10, ahead of BUF at 1 - 9 - 1.

For reasons unknown, PHI knocked off NO and ended the season at 2 - 12. The Bills dutifully dumped the last 2 games and ended at 1 - 11 - 1.

I can't speak for the bulk of Bills fans at the time, but in my circle, the Philly defeat of the Saints was cause for jubilation - no high 5's - they were yet to be invented.

The Bills drafted OJ. PHI drafted Purdue's two-way player Leroy Keyes, who hung around for a couple of years.

It's history... :devil:

I don't know why, but that really made me laugh! I can picture a bunch of guys sitting awkwardly after a good play not sure how to celebrate.