RIP Tim Russert

I'm speechless. This is the first time I've been choked up about a news anchor/figure. And not just because he was a huge Bills fan and I'm a hopeless homer for anyone in the public eye who is on 'our side'.

He was the single best, smartest, and unbiased, no-BS anchor of our time. And he'll probably be replaced with a vacuous Connie Chung-type.

Dammit

This is probably the first time I ever read all the way through a thread this long, and this is the one post I kept coming back to; waiting to see if there is someone else that felt as devasted as I do. People come, people go, but unless it is someone in your immediate family, I can not recall ever getting this upset about a celebrity, athlete, whomever that passed away.

This time is so different - for all the reasons on this thread. I still keep shaking my head in disbelief every time a story comes on the news or I read another article online about the passing of Tim..

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been staying away from here tonightas I knew I would get a tear in my eye, and I have. Lord, it is such a bond we share being from Buffalo. Makes me very enviios some times of you all that are still there.

Quick story of my interaction with Tim Russert. All true, but cannot remember the exact dates, but can remember te game.

Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, Adams Morgan neighborhood of DC. Future wife and I go out to eat to my BBQ joint (island influence) down the street, right off 18th and Kalorama( i lived at COnnecticut Ave and Kalorama at the time). Lonf story short, no one in the joint but my wife and me, and in walks Russert and his wife Maureen Orth. They sit three stools down from us at the bar and order a drink. I go nuts and tell my wife I am going to say hi to the fellow Buffalonian, she frowns and says let the poor man have a drink and meal in peace.

We compromise, as i wore in a Niagara University pullover(my buddy coached the swim team), and I say I am going to go to the john as we act like we are leaving but I am putting on that god awful purple thing as I walk past Russert and and toward the john. As soon as I get next to him, first words out of his mouth" hey did you go to Niagara, I grew up in Buffalo, are you from there?"

I tell him the quick story I from Niagara Falls, i do not want to bother him or his wife, and he refuses to let me go. Looks at the beer I am drinking, orders one for me, and asks what my fiance is drinking. Asks if I am watching the Bills the next day(playing the Lions, either 95 0r 96)) and I explain the dish to him. At that point, he was still going to the NBC studios for every Bills game not on the local channel.

Really long story short, I got pretty lit up with the man in an empty bar on 18th st in DC. We sat and drank beer for a good two hrs and talked Directv and Bills football. Our roots brought us together, and even our wives got along making fun of how geeky we were being from Buffalo. My only real claim to being close to celebrity, but the man was a good man. I pray for his dad, he has got to hurting beyonf belief.

My tears are running, and I am not sure why. Russert was a Buffalonian, i was a Buffalonian, he did nothing but act like we all do when we meet somebody from Buffalo.

God rest in pease Tim, you will be missed in this household

That's a great story. Thanks.

If anyone can catch it on a repeat Larry King had a great tribute show last night. Barbara Walters, Bob Scheifer, Wolf Blitzer, Ted Koppel and others talk about this whole shocking thing.

RIP

Very bad week for the Buffalo Bills family.

I met him a couple of times and he was a great guy.

I'll bet it took the first meeting to understand this.

RIP Tim................. :cry:

It's remarkable the remorse I feel. I'm sure it's the remorse many are feeling and have posted about previously. This remorse from someone I don't know, but do. I'm stunned, saddened and feel great loss. Remarkable.

i have been staying away from here tonightas I knew I would get a tear in my eye, and I have. Lord, it is such a bond we share being from Buffalo. Makes me very enviios some times of you all that are still there.

Quick story of my interaction with Tim Russert. All true, but cannot remember the exact dates, but can remember te game.

Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, Adams Morgan neighborhood of DC. Future wife and I go out to eat to my BBQ joint (island influence) down the street, right off 18th and Kalorama( i lived at COnnecticut Ave and Kalorama at the time). Lonf story short, no one in the joint but my wife and me, and in walks Russert and his wife Maureen Orth. They sit three stools down from us at the bar and order a drink. I go nuts and tell my wife I am going to say hi to the fellow Buffalonian, she frowns and says let the poor man have a drink and meal in peace.

We compromise, as i wore in a Niagara University pullover(my buddy coached the swim team), and I say I am going to go to the john as we act like we are leaving but I am putting on that god awful purple thing as I walk past Russert and and toward the john. As soon as I get next to him, first words out of his mouth" hey did you go to Niagara, I grew up in Buffalo, are you from there?"

I tell him the quick story I from Niagara Falls, i do not want to bother him or his wife, and he refuses to let me go. Looks at the beer I am drinking, orders one for me, and asks what my fiance is drinking. Asks if I am watching the Bills the next day(playing the Lions, either 95 0r 96)) and I explain the dish to him. At that point, he was still going to the NBC studios for every Bills game not on the local channel.

Really long story short, I got pretty lit up with the man in an empty bar on 18th st in DC. We sat and drank beer for a good two hrs and talked Directv and Bills football. Our roots brought us together, and even our wives got along making fun of how geeky we were being from Buffalo. My only real claim to being close to celebrity, but the man was a good man. I pray for his dad, he has got to hurting beyonf belief.

My tears are running, and I am not sure why. Russert was a Buffalonian, i was a Buffalonian, he did nothing but act like we all do when we meet somebody from Buffalo.

God rest in pease Tim, you will be missed in this household

What a fantastic story. Thank you for sharing.

Due to my career I'm around famous people all the time, therefore I'm jaded and rarely in awe of anyone. However, Russert was different. I regret I never met him in person and he was always at the top of my imaginary list of people you'd like to have dinner with. I can't imagine any other celebrity having this effect over me.

I was numb for hours until Brokaw signed off at 10:59PM with "Go Bills" and the tears streamed. Now I get choked up every time I think of it.

As Tom Shales said in his column today: It's just not fair.

RIP Tim................. :cry:

It's remarkable the remorse I feel. I'm sure it's the remorse many are feeling and have posted about previously. This remorse from someone I don't know, but do. I'm stunned, saddened and feel great loss. Remarkable.

This is exactly how I feel...it is like a VERY close family member has passed on......I too can't stop thinking about how unfair this is!

Here's the Bills statement on Russert:

Buffalo Bills:

"The Buffalo Bills organization is devastated in hearing the news of the passing of Tim Russert. Tim, as everyone knows, was a tremendous Bills fan. He was always so proud to let people know just how much he loved our team and was such a great ambassador for Buffalo. So many times he ended his "Meet The Press" show with his patented "Go Bills!" that it became part of our Game Day morning rituals. He was a true friend and we will miss him immensely. Our sincere sympathies go out to his family and our team carries a heavy heart tonight as we mourn the loss of this great man, Buffalo's native son and a Bills fan forever."

:cry:

I still can't believe he's gone. <_<

They should play Tom Brokaw's ending quote from the tribute and have a moment of silence at the home opener.

I'll take it a step further: They should slap a "TR" patch on the jerseys for one home game. No, he was never part of the franchise but he was their highest profile fan. And Buffalo may have never had the best football team in the country, but we at least had the best reporter in the country for several years. Who knows how much longer the Bills will even be in Buffalo? There's no reason not to celebrate Tim Russert and, by extension, Buffalo fans.