RIP - Mitch Frerotte

I think the mere act of adding a question mark would have made a world of difference in the reactions of folks and responses to this post.

On Boards such as TSW and the internet in general folks are entitled to have their personal opinions, legit or not and fact-free or not. IMHO part of the reason this post likely raised the hackles of some in our little family of Bills lovers is that as a question the role steroid use may have played in the early death of an athlete is a legit question to have (though some may also correctly IMHO question the appropriateness of raising the point in a thread announcing an early death it is a legit question even if inappropriately raised).

However, the fact that there is no question mark moves this post from raising a legit question to simply making a flat-out statement which may or may not be true and which the post does nothing to support.

Even a legit question is definitely inappropriate when stated as a flat out opinion with no support in a death notice thread.

This is a case where I am thankful for the free market system where if the mods choose to remove a post such as this that certainly strikes me as a more than reasonable thing to do.

So, you think that on internet boards, people are entitled to their own opinion whether they have facts or not... but when he posts his opinion, with no facts, you think the mods removing it is reasonable? Contradict yourself much?

I don't understand why the issue of steriods is such a horrible point to raise. Back then, in that era, athletes were using steriods in many sports, and weren't really aware of the long term consequences. It is certainly possible that dying at the age of 43, from either a massive heart attack or natural causes, that steroids played a part in the death. It is not at all an unreasonable topic to discuss, and had this been a player from another team we'd already have been writing it off as steriods, which makes me believe everyone around here is extremely sensitive to players from their own team. See: homerism.

Everyone needs to relax, seriously.

According to WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh, former Bills guard Mitch Frerotte has passed away in his hometown of Kitanning, PA.

The station reports police in Kitanning confirm that Frerotte passed away at around 6:00pm Wednesday at his home, apparently of natural causes.

Frerotte played four seaons for the Bills, and in three of Buffalo's four straight Super Bowl appearanes in the early 90's. He's most remembered for his performance during the 1992 season when he caught three touchdowns - a record for an offensive lineman.

Frerotte was 43 years old.

Yikes!! I'm 43!! He was a great player and fierce competitor. I bet Thurman is broken up by this too. Mitch opened up a lot holes for Thurman. Kelly is probably very broken up too.

Prayers go out to his family, or anyone who was close.

Amen. What a shocking loss.

How sad. Am I imagining things, or are we seeing an inordinately high number of reports of ex-football players dying way too young? Natural causes at 43?

:devil:

Heart attack. You've got 300 pound men who are on a regimented diet and exercise plan when they are players and then they retire and they become 300 pound men out of shape.

RIP Mitch! :w00t:

Gee - I wonder what one of the possible causes of that disease could be?

-Long-term high blood pressure

-Heart valve problems

-Heart tissue damage from a previous heart attack

-Chronic rapid heart rate

-Metabolic disorders, such as thyroid disease or diabetes

-Nutritional deficiencies of essential vitamins or minerals, such as thiamin (vitamin B-1), selenium, calcium and magnesium

-Use of some chemotherapy drugs to treat cancer

-Certain viral infections, which may injure the heart and trigger cardiomyopathy

From the Pittsburgh Post GAz3te obituary - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08165/889620-122.stm?cmpid=localstate.xml

"The cause of death was cardiomyopathy, a disease in which the heart muscle becomes inflamed."

Yeah, "cardiomyopathy" has very specific and definable causes.

You don't actually know what "cardiomyopathy" means, do you? <_<

From the Pittsburgh Post GAz3te obituary - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08165/889620-122.stm?cmpid=localstate.xml

"The cause of death was cardiomyopathy, a disease in which the heart muscle becomes inflamed."

Ask Sam Wyche. He has it.

Or ask me, since I've been told I'll probably end up with it at some point:

-Metabolic disorders, such as thyroid disease

I remember Mitch saying that when he retired he wanted to join the WWWF. Don't know why he didn't.

R.I.P. Mitch - Bills' Nation will miss you!

He screwed up his neck in practice before his first season with Seattle. Ended up winning a lawsuit over his treatment, but no more football and no wrestling.

This is just sad.

I remember the year he went to Seattle Their camp started after the Bills. Mitch came to Fredonia to say Hi to the Bills and Bye. I visited with him and Glenn Parker. I had that football card with the motorcycle and they signed it. Nice guy. It's just a shame. I hope many of his team mates go to the funeral Monday.

Yeah, "cardiomyopathy" has very specific and definable causes.

You don't actually know what "cardiomyopathy" means, do you? <_<

no matter what it means, dawgg should be around shortly to defend his mentally challenged buddy and to tear down yet another bills player.

Excerpt from the TBD front page:

Armstrong County Coroner Bob Bower identified cardiac failure as the cause of death for former NFL offensive lineman and Kittanning graduate Mitch Frerotte.

Bower released his finding Thursday, a day after Frerotte died at his Kittanning home at age 43.

Lee Walker, Frerotte's older sister, said her family had a history of heart disease. Frerotte's father, Paul, and his 12 brothers and sisters all had heart-muscle disease.

"They all died from it," Walker said. "They all passed away young, by their early 50s."

...must have been the 'roids, yup.

Excerpt from the TBD front page:

Armstrong County Coroner Bob Bower identified cardiac failure as the cause of death for former NFL offensive lineman and Kittanning graduate Mitch Frerotte.

Bower released his finding Thursday, a day after Frerotte died at his Kittanning home at age 43.

Lee Walker, Frerotte's older sister, said her family had a history of heart disease. Frerotte's father, Paul, and his 12 brothers and sisters all had heart-muscle disease.

"They all died from it," Walker said. "They all passed away young, by their early 50s."

...must have been the 'roids, yup.

"Well, if his whole family's on sterioids, what's the chance that he wasn't?" </obie-wan>

Good to see that you are wondering about this rather than stating it as a fact without any supporting evidence.

Good to see that you are wondering about this rather than stating it as a fact without any supporting evidence.

Wow. A sighting of the rare Short Pyrite Gal Post. I thought it was an urban myth, like Bigfoot or the Bills red zone offense...

So, you think that on internet boards, people are entitled to their own opinion whether they have facts or not... but when he posts his opinion, with no facts, you think the mods removing it is reasonable? Contradict yourself much?

I don't understand why the issue of steriods is such a horrible point to raise. Back then, in that era, athletes were using steriods in many sports, and weren't really aware of the long term consequences. It is certainly possible that dying at the age of 43, from either a massive heart attack or natural causes, that steroids played a part in the death. It is not at all an unreasonable topic to discuss, and had this been a player from another team we'd already have been writing it off as steriods, which makes me believe everyone around here is extremely sensitive to players from their own team. See: homerism.

Everyone needs to relax, seriously.

1. I said folks are certainly entitled to their opinion but actually outside of the news business where institutions have made a general stand against censorship (adherence to this principle allowed bulletin board like the Rochester D&C site which gave birth to this community to get dragged down by legends in their own mind) folks do not have an unfettered right to to rant their opinion when it hurts the community to do so.

I am happy to have the free market rule sites such as TBD where I have consistently encouraged the mods to be pretty draconian about censoring views that they feel hurt the community, even my own. I much rather would see this marketplace of ideas protected even if it means my own ideas sometimes get pulled by the mods who are not perfect but certainly have earned my trust through their actions.

As far as the particular post in question dragging down the community. I actually do not think that it does since it is one rather easily ignored because it so fact-free to describing Ferrotte's steroid use as a key factor which led to his death without stating any specific evidence to support this view.

Yes, steroids cause heart weakness. Yes, a lot of pro athletes use steroids.

Does this mean that Ferotte's death was caused by steroid use or abuse?

NO.

In fact, the quote of one of his relatives that cited other family members and direct relatives of Ferotte's having died of heart attacks sounds like a far more reasonable cause of death or major factor in his death rather than the fact-free assumption made in the original post we are answering.

However, even the non-substantiated post citing steroids as a cause without the least bit of substantiation is not the reason I think it would be reasonable for the mods to remove it (as I said folks are entitled as Mericans to their unsupported rants). The thing which I feel lessens the TBD community is to have this unsupported rant and the former Bills death notice thread amidst a lot of fond memories and RIP sentiments.

Some folks cannot even wait a couple of days to launch their unsupported accusations or statements of consequence. I do not insist upon but would find it quite reasonable if the mods chose to spare us this blather. TBD is a neat place because generally folks get to spout a variety of opinions/ it is a special place though because many of these opinions are well informed (I try to be) and many are well stated (mine rarely are because I tend to use TSW to think out loud and do not do as much editing as I should).

Its really a special place because it has been around so long (about a decade which is a lifetime in the internet) and folks have not only built a sense of family and shared goals on the web but even get together in real life from time to time.

Posts such as the one which interrupted the solemn wishes and good memories with a unsupported steroid abuse accusation diminish TSW a little bit. Hence my sense that moderator action would have been reasonable.

Consequences of steroid abuse

how about you show proper respect and then apologize?

KITTANNING, Pa. (AP)—A coroner says former Buffalo Bills lineman Mitch Frerotte died of a thickening of the heart muscle, a condition that can cause sudden death.

The coroner said Friday that Frerotte’s family has a history of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. The American Heart Association calls it the most common cause of sudden death in young athletes.

genetics?