LeCharles Bentley released by Browns

ESPN reports that Bentley asks for and granted his release.

This is a surprise...he was cleared to practice with the Browns just yesterday morning.

My guess is Crennel told him he had to compete for a position, and Bentley didn't want to do that.

Thoughts? Would you like him is a Bills' uniform?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a vested veteran, meaning he doesn't have to clear waivers. I'd definitely bring him in for a look-see. He's from Cleveland (bummer it didn't work out for him there) so being in Buffalo wouldn't be a bad consolation.

Sounds like a low risk high reward scenerio to me. After adressing most of our other needs in the draft and free agency, center is our most glaring hole to fill right now. If he's 75% of what he was before he got hurt he'll be an upgrade.

The problem for the Browns was that this was the last year of his huge contract that he signed. There were stipulations in it over catastrophic injury, which obviously happened. Even though his salary for this year was only $650,000, IF he were to get a season ending injury this coming season, under his old contract, they would be on the books for millions more. So they decided not to take that risk. No harm bringing him in, and just because they released him doesn't NECESSARILY mean that he isn't able to play.

Melvin Fowler is not a well liked guy 'round here. But he's a good football player. He's experienced and a good leader on the line.

On the other hand, bringing in someone like Bentley, for a small, incentive-laden contract, to create healthy competition in camp could be a good thing.

C'bus tv station did a small feature story on him last night. Reporter said that he looks good physically (standing still). His attitude was that the injury made him a better person / football player. At 28 and out of the mix for 2 years I'd give him a call.

Melvin Fowler is not a well liked guy 'round here. But he's a good football player. He's experienced and a good leader on the line.

On the other hand, bringing in someone like Bentley, for a small, incentive-laden contract, to create healthy competition in camp could be a good thing.

Melvin Fowler scouting report

Strengths: Experience, Leadership

Weaknesses: Run blocking, Pass blocking

LeCharles Bentley with one leg is better than Melvin Fowler with four.

Yikes, you really do not like Fowler. I agree that Fowler is no pro bowler, but he's a decent player.

Having said that, I would love to have Bentley on the team.

Bring him in for a physical, and see what he can do. No harm in that.