I still don't believe Willis is the better back

EZC-Boston

Willis had a good GAME, Travis has given us good years. I think Willis played great today but don't think he did anything that Travis couldn't have done behind the same blocking and with the same game plan. Everybody complained that Travis coudln't punch it in for a touchdown, but Willis couldn't either. Let's be careful before we put Willis is the HOF , can he at least score a TD first?

I've thought all along that Henry should be starting for this team. Not after today. I don't care about Willis' 100 yard day...what impressed me the most is that when a play looked like it was caught for a loss or no yards the guy squirts through or drives through and picks up positive yards. Henry was not doing this. This penchant for picking up positive yards puts us in 3rd and manageable conditions and not 3rd and long, which is what we faced too many times in the first 4 games.

The great thing is when one is hurt, there's no huge drop off. Can't understand why people can't accept that and stop making this an issue.

WM is the real dealHe can do everything TH can and do it better. Convincing both that sharing can be mutually beneficial is a task I dont think TH would accept. Therefore TH will be traded, perhaps this week but surely in the off season

WM is the real dealHe can do everything TH can and do it better. Convincing both that sharing can be mutually beneficial is a task I dont think TH would accept. Therefore TH will be traded, perhaps this week but surely in the off season

73623[/snapback]

Sure that makes sense. Then when McGhaee's knee doesn't hold up to whole season of pounding we can start Joe Burns. Sounds reasonable.

Willis had a good GAME, Travis has given us good years.  I think Willis played great today but don't think he did anything that Travis couldn't have done behind the same blocking and with the same game plan.  Everybody complained that Travis coudln't punch it in for a touchdown, but Willis couldn't either.  Let's be careful before we put Willis is the HOF , can he at least score a TD first?

73544[/snapback]

This morning I would have agreed 100%.

After watching Willis today, TH's deficiencies are more visible. WM can make the first guy miss and is much better at pass protection. Also, he reminds me a bit of Thurman in that he doesn't take many direct shots, he's elusive while being tackled (if there is such a thing). This tells me he'll be fresher at the end of games/seasons, and knee notwithstanding, he'll be injured less. Also, the likelihood of an RB with TH's bruising style of putting the ball on the carpet is much greater than WM's.

WM may never be an elite back, but he is looking like an upgrade to the position right now IMO.

TH was interviewed off audio today after the game and was reported to respond with a genuine sense of support for WM. I really believe the 2 of them have come together and worked out this thing amongst themselves. They both realize that they may not remain together much beyond this season and have accepted the fact.

This penchant for picking up positive yards puts us in 3rd and manageable conditions and not 3rd and long, which is what we faced too many times in the first 4 games.

73549[/snapback]

Sorry....The 3rd and short goes to the OL not making mental errors and

false starts/holding etc.

This morning I would have agreed 100%.

After watching Willis today, TH's deficiencies are more visible.  WM can make the first guy miss and is much better at pass protection.  Also, he reminds me a bit of Thurman in that he doesn't take many direct shots, he's elusive while being tackled (if there is such a thing).  This tells me he'll be fresher at the end of games/seasons, and knee notwithstanding, he'll be injured less.  Also, the likelihood of an RB with TH's bruising style of putting the ball on the carpet is much greater than WM's.

WM may never be an elite back, but he is looking like an upgrade to the position right now IMO.

73631[/snapback]

Good points Campy. Don't know if you could see it on every passing play but McGahee (except once) is a way better blocker than what I have seen out of Henry in the past. That is one reason Bledsoe had time to throw today.

In the post game interview McGahee said that each week he continues to feel better about his responsibilities in running the ball but that Travis Henry is still the starter. We'll see. Another thing he said that I found interesting; WM said that he learned in high school to keep his "legs churning" when fighting for those extra yards. Been a long time since we've seen a Bills back do that. The knee wasn't even mentioned as far as I can recall.

Guest Guest_John from Hemet_*

First of all....let me preface this by saying that I think Travis Henry is a very good back.....I will always be thankfull for what he has given us......and I wouldn't trade him unless we can get equal value of him from someone.....

BUT.....

The fact of the matter is this....you can put aside Willis over 100 yards....you can put aside that he ran the correct plays and didn't put the ball on the ground....you can even put aside how his big body carries 3 defenders and he always gets positive yards.......

What is really setting himself aside from Travis in this offense is the fact that he is a MULTIDIMENSIONAL BACK......because of the fact that he can block, catch, and run well we are not tipping off the defense on what we are going to do.....

I say that we should trade Travis Henry for whatever the best value may be for him.....and If I am Tom Donahoe I am looking to trade to a team that needs a back right now....like the cowboys.....for their later 1st round pick.....if we have to sweeten the pot send them Travis Henry and Josh Reed for a 1st and a 3rd.....

Dallas is looking like a 8-8 team to me....maybe 9-7 even with Henry.......we could get a halfway decent first round pick for this upcoming draft.....and go with WM and Burns right now......

First of all....let me preface this by saying that I think Travis Henry is a very good back.....I will always be thankfull for what he has given us......and I wouldn't trade him unless we can get equal value of him from someone.....

BUT.....

The fact of the matter is this....you can put aside Willis over 100 yards....you can put aside that he ran the correct plays and didn't put the ball on the ground....you can even put aside how his big body carries 3 defenders and he always gets positive yards.......

What is really setting himself aside from Travis in this offense is the fact that he is a MULTIDIMENSIONAL BACK......because of the fact that he can block, catch, and run well we are not tipping off the defense on what we are going to do.....

I say that we should trade Travis Henry for whatever the best value may be for him.....and If I am Tom Donahoe I am looking to trade to a team that needs a back right now....like the cowboys.....for their later 1st round pick.....if we have to sweeten the pot send them Travis Henry and Josh Reed for a 1st and a 3rd.....

Dallas is looking like a 8-8 team to me....maybe 9-7 even with Henry.......we could get a halfway decent first round pick for this upcoming draft.....and go with WM and Burns right now......

73848[/snapback]

No knock on Travis, but I don't think Parcells would want him, at least not for a first round pick. I really like Henry, but he has shown to be very tough (Parcells likes that), but maybe a little deficient in the mental aspects of the game (not what Parcells likes). Plus, I want to see that McGahees knee is truly healed before we let Travis go. Believe it or not, this team is not so good that it can't afford to carry two quality running backs for a season...trading one now would not likely bring much.

No knock on Travis, but I don't think Parcells would want him, at least not for a first round pick.  I really like Henry, but he has shown to be very tough (Parcells likes that), but maybe a little deficient in the mental aspects of the game (not what Parcells likes).  Plus, I want to see that McGahees knee is truly healed before we let Travis go.  Believe it or not, this team is not so good that it can't afford to carry two quality running backs for a season...trading one now would not likely bring much.

73860[/snapback]

Buff...

I guess my big concern with that is waiting and seeing Travis Henry's trade value go even lower......if there were someone who would give us a 1st rounder for him right now I would pull the trigger.....or at the very LEAST a impact player that could help us immediately......

I've thought all along that Henry should be starting for this team.  Not after today.  I don't care about Willis' 100 yard day...what impressed me the most is that when a play looked like it was caught for a loss or no yards the guy squirts through or drives through and picks up positive yards.  Henry was not doing this.  This penchant for picking up positive yards puts us in 3rd and manageable conditions and not 3rd and long, which is what we faced too many times in the first 4 games.

73549[/snapback]

I have to agree. When the hole closed up, Willis bounced it elsewhere, and managed to gain some real tough yards out there today. Miami sucks, but not their "D". Henry is a beast, but Willis seems to have better instincts based off of his limited action this year, and of course, today's game. Maybe the best way to look at it is Willis seems to have the better vision of the two. Glad to have them both though.

The great thing is when one is hurt, there's no huge drop off.  Can't understand why people can't accept that and stop making this an issue.

73590[/snapback]

Exactly ! We must have two quality RB's on an NFL roster to be effective. One RB will get hurt during the course of a season, you need two quality starters. We have that now. Can we stop the trade so and so discussions now.