Wow...what an ending!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's surprising/impressive seeing how many Penguins fans are staying for the celebration.

Watching a Stanley Cup celebration live has to be one of the most memorable sporting event experiences of my life to this point -- even though I was watching the freaking Carolina Whalers.

I'm surprised ANYBODY left.

Osgood couldn't quite reach it, and Hossa's shot went over his glove across the crease.

Actually, I'd say he did the best thing in that situation. Instead of trying to pull it towards the net to cover up, he knocked the puck back, where it wasn't going to be put in the net. He probably had no idea exactly how little time was left on the clock, but it was the perfect play.

I love how stupid tv guys can be. I forget who it was interviewing Lidstrom (probably Pierre Maguire), but his first question was "does this put an end to the argument that a european captain can't win the cup?". What the hell kind of question is that? Talk about master of the obvious there.

Another thing about the broadcast that annoyed me was towards the end of the celebration. The Detroit scrubs were getting the cup, guys like Mark Hartigan and NBC cut to an interview with Darryl Sydor. Darryl F'n Sydor! Why do you cut away from the cup for that?

I love how stupid tv guys can be. I forget who it was interviewing Lidstrom (probably Pierre Maguire), but his first question was "does this put an end to the argument that a european captain can't win the cup?". What the hell kind of question is that? Talk about master of the obvious there.

I was listening to the Tirico show on ESPNRadio yesterday, and they had Kendrick Perkins of the Celtics on...Scott Van Pelt only chimed in with two questions, and both had to rank up there with two of the most idiotic ever conceived:

"Have you sat back over the last week and just thought, 'Man, I'm in the NBA Finals'?"

AND

"Did you guys ever think back in October and November that you would possibly be where you are now, still playing in June?"

Um, Scott? They signed KG and Ray Allen and IMMEDIATELY became the favorite to win the East...And didn't they start like 12-0 or something??? Of course they expected to be here.

So stupid.

That was a pretty entertaining game. The refs swallowed the whistle early, so it turned into a goon fest for the better part of the game, but a fun game to watch. Crosby getting nailed into the boards was classic, he'll be feeling that hit for a while. I'll give the Pens credit for giving all they had, but Detroit is just too good. Their D and puck control are phenomenal, must be nice for a goalie to only face around 20 shots every game.

On a side note, just wondering if anyone noticed Hasek during the photograph of the team with the cup. All the Red Wings are holding up the "we're #1" finger and here's Hasek holding up 2 fingers, as in this is my second Stanley Cup. Talk about a selfish b@stard, it's all about him. I didn't see Lidstrom holding up 4 fingers, what a class act....

I noticed that too....

I have to say, nice job by the Penguins fans staying around and giving their team a nice ovation, and the Pens team saluting them...between that and the customary handshake, those are things about hockey that make the sport great.

I think the ratings for the NHL are going up for a number of reasons:

1. HDTV- Hockey is MUCH better on TV in HD, can see the puck better, player movements are crisp etc.

2. "Refreshing"- The other sport we love (NFL) has become so soap operaish at times, and every week it seems we hear of another player being arrested etc. With the NHL, there is more emphasis on the game itself, and that is refreshing again to sports fans who have grown tired of ESPN's theatrics of giving a lot of air time to a punk like PacMan Jones and treating him like he is almost regal.

3. Young Stars- Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Zetterberg, and the list is growing. Stamakos and Tavares to follow in the next 2 years. The NHL has never been as healthy in that regard.

4. Sleeping Giants Are Awake Again- Rangers are contending, the Bruins are back on the map, and the Chicago Blackhawks are on the rise again, and having these 3 markets involved in the NHL again can only help the sport.

Even though Hossa's shot wouldn't have counted. The clock hit zero before he got his stick on it.

Osgood couldn't quite reach it, and Hossa's shot went over his glove across the crease.

In the heat of the moment, I had thought it had gone in. So close!! Hossa played one heck of a series.

Being a newbie to hockey (i.e., basically jumping on the playoff bandwagon living here in Pittsburgh), what's going to be the going rate to re-sign Hossa?

In the heat of the moment, I had thought it had gone in. So close!! Hossa played one heck of a series.

Being a newbie to hockey (i.e., basically jumping on the playoff bandwagon living here in Pittsburgh), what's going to be the going rate to re-sign Hossa?

A lot. I doubt the Penguins will be able to afford to keep him.