Wow...what an ending!

Hasek is an idiot...btw did you have a kid? if so congrats

No, niece. Sister's first. And I love the fact that in that avatar she looks like she's making an Italian hand gesture roughly equivalent to Hasek's... :thumbsup:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain why people insist that Vanek does not give full effort all of the time? I find this laughable.....

It is the same old lame tired excuse some other hockey fans of almost any team give when their team or player is not performing up to their expectations..they are not trying, lack of effort, etc....I'd love to know how they can say that with such conviction based on watching the game on TV and having ZERO access to the player's psyche.

Actually, I think his nose was broken by Kronwall in the first game of the Finals.

He had it broken against the Rangers when the butt of Laraque's stick came up and accidentily caught him on the bridge of his nose. I can't remember if Kronwall broke it again or not, but he was definately one unlucky dude in these playoffs. I mean, I would have been thinking shield at some point.

I wonder what he will get? he will be tough for Pit to keep IMO...i like him...alot

I'm not sure. But they have to be careful NOT to overpay for guys like Malone and Orpik. They can be replaced. I'd rather ante up for Hossa, who is clearly a better skater, and a player than has much more skill than Malone or Orpik and then try to audition about 10 guys to take Malone and Orpik's spots on the team.

Malone and Orpik are GREAT players on a team that is ALREADY good. Their roles are needed. However, I personally don't feel like they are your core type players that you build other parts of your team around.

If Orpik goes to a marginal team, their fans will most likely be dissapointed in his play, because he isn't going to turn their team around. If he goes to a contender and does that teams grunt work, he'll be a fan favorite for sure!

Malone reminds me of Robert Lang for some reason. I'm not sure why, but I think Malone will be way overpaid for what he'll bring to a marginal team.

He had it broken against the Rangers when the butt of Laraque's stick came up and accidentily caught him on the bridge of his nose. I can't remember if Kronwall broke it again or not, but he was definately one unlucky dude in these playoffs. I mean, I would have been thinking shield at some point.

I don't know anything about him being hurt in the Rangers series. Not saying it didn't happen, just that's the first time I've heard it.

Pittsburgh Post Gazette Reports Kronwall broke Malone's nose in Game 2. So I was wrong about that. It was game 2.

FYI Hossa.....

Jun. 7, 2008 - 11:28 a.m. ET

Marian Hossa said for the first time that he would consider signing for less money than he could get on the open market, in order to stay with the Penguins long term.

As one of the elite wingers in the NHL, the 29-year-old Hossa would definitely be a valuable commodity when July 1st rolls around and he becomes a free agent. However, he seems to be more inclined to take a little less money to stay with a team that should be a perennial contender in Pittsburgh. "If I wanted to make a couple more dollars, I would probably just re-sign with Atlanta," Hossa said. "There's always a limit, but I'd rather take a little less and play on a good team, definitely."

YIPPEE!

Usually eyes are following the puck while the guy is getting crosschecked, slashed, punched, and speared in the kitchen.

In all fairness, Lindy mentioned in the end-of-season presser that Vanek needs to be better away from the puck and more consistency: (LINK)

Q: Lindy, after the season finale, we talked about Thomas [Vanek] and he said you can blame me for a lot of this. You said that was too easy of an answer. What is the difficult answer?

Lindy Ruff: The hard answer is every player has work to do. I feel that his comment was an easy comment to make, you can blame me for us not making it, he scored 36 goals or whatever he scored. His growth, where I see his growth coming, is not in a goal-scoring category. That is his gift that he’s always had.

His growth comes and I've told him, his growth is going to come away from the puck, It's going to have to come possibly from the penalty killing, it’s the play away from the puck where I saw growth at times and other times I didn’t see growth. I identified that as an area that I would like to see his growth continue.

We may not be as close as we are if Thomas didn’t get the number of goals he got. We don’t win the game in Boston ifThomas doesn’t score. By him saying that, this isn’t an individual sport it’s a team sport.

----

And to another post earlier (can't remember which) I recall Lindy mentioning after TV scored his big contract that he was going to have to stay on him to improve his play, his focus, his consistency and to deal with the pressures of signing such a large deal. There was a lot of discussion that Lindy seemed disappointed that TV got such a huge deal so early. I can't seem to find the articles now, but I certainly recall reading them.

TV has a lot of good in his game, but his game also has some warts, and I'm not talking about different playing styles from true superstars. Yes, there are games, periods, shifts where his focus seems off, his legs don't seem under him, whatever. This year he was benched at different times - sometimes for periods and sometimes for individual shifts, and he is not too far removed from the 05-06 playoff run where he struggled to find his way out of the press box.

Whether his contract was deserved/justified and whether he is worthy of $50M is pretty much immaterial now. The deal has been signed, and we're likely on the hook for the next 5-6 years. In an off year he still scored nearly 40 goals, so I am not too worried about his production, but I would like to see the Sabres protect their investment and help TV develop by bringing in an on-ice veteran who can help him deal with the pressures of his deal, how to deal with his upgraded status on the team (going from promising youngster to franchise player) how to grow into more of a leadership role, and how to deal with slumps and frustrations.

FYI Hossa.....

Jun. 7, 2008 - 11:28 a.m. ET

Marian Hossa said for the first time that he would consider signing for less money than he could get on the open market, in order to stay with the Penguins long term.

As one of the elite wingers in the NHL, the 29-year-old Hossa would definitely be a valuable commodity when July 1st rolls around and he becomes a free agent. However, he seems to be more inclined to take a little less money to stay with a team that should be a perennial contender in Pittsburgh. "If I wanted to make a couple more dollars, I would probably just re-sign with Atlanta," Hossa said. "There's always a limit, but I'd rather take a little less and play on a good team, definitely."

YIPPEE!

I bolded the key part of that statement. If nothing is worked out before July 1, that statement is going to be put to the test. Its a lot harder to turn down those bigger offers when they actually exist.