Wow...what an ending!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I care about what players say about other players in the press. That's always a good indicator because hockey players don't have a code or anything. :thumbsup:

Campbell being the Sabres "best defenseman" is more an indication of the position's weakness than anything else - not that I agree with you on that point either.

He'll be "just fine"? Dude, when Brian Campbell was 23 the Sabres couldn't trade him for a bag of pucks. Phaneuf is an ALL STAR. And Phaneuf not having a clue what the second round looks like has nothing to do with how good a player he is. Jesus Christ, how the hell can a BILLS' fan use that kind of "lahjik"?

Some guys just take a little longer to get it. The Sabres wouldn't be a better team without Thomas Vanek and the penis envy everyone continually throws at his contract is ridiculous.

Disregard the comments at your leisure, seeing as you know more about the sport than those who cover it for a living, coach it for a living, and play it professionally. Clearly, nobody would understand the code of professional athletes code more than a guy sitting at his computer 16 hours a day in Alaska.

Are the Sabres better without Campbell?

Thank you for enlightening me that Vanek and Phaneuf are superstars and it's their teammates faults every time they underperform.

For the 5th time in this thread, I don't begrudge Vanek one cent of his money. He had a huge season and reaped the payoff. I am critical of his inconsistent effort. But I'm sure that's someone else's fault too.

Can someone explain why people insist that Vanek does not give full effort all of the time? I find this laughable.....

It is VERY evident in a game in which he scores. Like any big time goal scorer, you get one, you want to get two...His effort is NOTICEABLY higher, his work rate is better, he drives to the net, and he doesn't shy away from contact after he lights the lamp.

Other times, playing consistently against top-line defense, he wants nothing to do with the game...

Disregard the comments at your leisure, seeing as you know more about the sport than those who cover it for a living, coach it for a living, and play it professionally. Clearly, nobody would understand the code of professional athletes code more than a guy sitting at his computer 16 hours a day in Alaska.

I've been involved in professional hockey most of my adult life. I've worked for a team. Have you?

Hockey players and coaches almost NEVER say anything negative to the media about their teammates.

Are the Sabres better without Campbell?

In the short term? No. At the money he's going to get from the market in the salary cap era? Absolutely.

Thank you for enlightening me that Vanek and Phaneuf are superstars and it's their teammates faults every time they underperform.

Yeah, that's what I said.

For the 5th time in this thread, I don't begrudge Vanek one cent of his money. He had a huge season and reaped the payoff. I am critical of his inconsistent effort. But I'm sure that's someone else's fault too.

Sure you don't. That's why you used it twice earlier in the thread. :thumbsup:

It is VERY evident in a game in which he scores. Like any big time goal scorer, you get one, you want to get two...His effort is NOTICEABLY higher, his work rate is better, he drives to the net, and he doesn't shy away from contact after he lights the lamp.

Other times, playing consistently against top-line defense, he wants nothing to do with the game...

Your posts are laughable...he wants nothing to do with it? WTF are you talking about...I see Vanek doing what he does best every game...Camp out in front of the net and using his strengths...quick hands and quick shot...he is NOT a puck carrier...he is NOT going to win the Selke...all of these newbie fans that think that EVERY player needs to score 40 Goals, win the Selke, fight, throw thunderous body checks, and lead end to end rushes.....a hockey team is a TEAM for a reason...each player brings their strengths to the table...and not many players can do EVERYTHING.....i will NEVER question the heart of a player that camps out in front of the net on a nightly basis....

In the short term? No. At the money he's going to get from the market in the salary cap era? Absolutely.

That's a copout for frugal teams. The salary cap is going to continue to go up. If they sign a TV deal that actually PAYS (which is possible,) it will jump up.

Your posts are laughable...he wants nothing to do with it? WTF are you talking about...I see Vanek doing what he does best every game...Camp out in front of the net and using his strengths...quick hands and quick shot...he is NOT a puck carrier...he is NOT going to win the Selke...all of these newbie fans that think that EVERY player needs to score 40 Goals, win the Selke, fight, throw thunderous body checks, and lead end to end rushes.....a hockey team is a TEAM for a reason...each player brings their strengths to the table...and not many players can do EVERYTHING.....i will NEVER question the heart of a player that camps out in front of the net on a nightly basis....

Shut up. Crosby is a floater because he doesn't play the PK.

That's a copout for frugal teams. The salary cap is going to continue to go up. If they sign a TV deal that actually PAYS (which is possible,) it will jump up.

Brian Campbell is not worth the money he will get...chris drury is not worth the money he got...Danny Briere will not be worth the $$ he got....IMO you dont give first tier money to 2nd tier players.....Drury, Briere and Campbell are 2nd tier players at best...Vanek is a 2nd tier player at the moment with HUGE upside to break into that top tier......

Brian Campbell is not worth the money he will get...chris drury is not worth the money he got...Danny Briere will not be worth the $$ he got....IMO you dont give first tier money to 2nd tier players.....Drury, Briere and Campbell are 2nd tier players at best...Vanek is a 2nd tier player at the moment with HUGE upside to break into that top tier......

I don't disagree. But those tiers have exploded the past two years. Hockey is back to where it was with the ludicrous contracts. That's why, contrary to what Darin wants to read, my problem is not with Vanek's money at all...Of course it's out there, but apparently my mentioning it means I have penis envy for his contract...I don't...I see him with the skill to do more and it's frustrating when he doesn't. Playing 30-40 good games out of 80 doesn't cut it. I realize it's a team game so I guess lets chalk up his bad games to somebody else and leave the fragile kid alone.

I give him a ton of credit for standing in front of his locker in slumps and after bad games and saying what needed to be said. But that was the Sabres to a "T" last year...They all talked about "we know what we have to do" and then they go out and leave points on the ice, game after game.

I was expecting Vanek to make that jump to elite this year, and it wasn't even close. I'll take 30 goals a year, but he's good enough for more. I'm not expecting a replication of 40G 40A +40 every season. Too much pressure? Trying to live up to his big $$? Definitely possible. I have high hopes for him as well, and if the NHL is able to make it back to ESPN with a TV deal, his contract could look like a bargain in six years. Nobody wants that more than me.

Can someone explain why people insist that Vanek does not give full effort all of the time? I find this laughable.....

Usually eyes are following the puck while the guy is getting crosschecked, slashed, punched, and speared in the kitchen.

I;ll give the Wings props for being skilled, but much like the Av's of a few years ago, they are the masters of setting pic's. Obstruction and interference that is rarely called. If the game is called correctly, it may have been a different series.

Being a Pens fan, this is the best post in this thread by far. I'm not even mad, but man, Detroit has that style of defense, player positioning, and "hidden" obstruction down to a clinic. It almost takes an act of god to carry the puck into their zone. And then when someone from the Pens would approach the blue line near the boards he was always surrounded by three Red Wings. Yet, when that player would dump the puck to the opposite corner.......a Wings player was still always the first player there, WITH SPACE, playing the puck. Just unreal discipline.

I'd venture to say that this Detroit system was the best system hockey I've ever seen played.

I can't believe Detroit was actually that good. Before the series, I wouldn't have been surprised if they beat the Pens, however, they dominated them. Between their style, puck possession, and how well they connect on almost all of their passes, this was a dominant team.

I would love to see Lemieux, Jagr, Coffey, Francis and the boys form the early 90's Pens try to outdo this Detroit team. Pure offense vs. pure system. Oh well, the Pens have arrived for a long time!

Nice job Wings!

ALA, Ryan Malone for getting his nose broke twice in these playoffs for Pitt. That puck he took to the face vs. the Wings was god awful looking. Now, just think, he had his nose broken just a series earlier. Oh god, how that must have hurt. There's no way Malone is getting any kind of breathing done through his nose at this point.

:thumbsup: Malone!

ALA, Ryan Malone for getting his nose broke twice in these playoffs for Pitt. That puck he took to the face vs. the Wings was god awful looking. Now, just think, he had his nose broken just a series earlier. Oh god, how that must have hurt. There's no way Malone is getting any kind of breathing done through his nose at this point.

I wonder what he will get? he will be tough for Pit to keep IMO...i like him...alot

Actually, I think his nose was broken by Kronwall in the first game of the Finals.

lol, that must have been it....

Found the pic

V for victory is first two fingers up, palm of the hand facing outward. Usually, so is gesturing the number two.

Two fingers up, back of hand facing outward is actually equivalent in parts of Europe to flipping the bird.

V for victory is first two fingers up, palm of the hand facing outward. Usually, so is gesturing the number two.

Two fingers up, back of hand facing outward is actually equivalent in parts of Europe to flipping the bird.

Hasek is an idiot...btw did you have a kid? if so congrats