first post on my I phone

well I'm playing with my new I-phone. What an amazing device! The only problem is there's barely a signal at my house. I can't use it with no service. This despite all the hype on ATT having such great coverage. The salesguy swore my town was covered.

LTR

I have had over a dozen different cell phones in the last couple of years. I have Verizon, and get bars EVERYWHERE. I played with the iPhone, and liked it so much (absolutely NO phone from any other carrier has a web interface that can come close to the iPhone's), that I went out and bought one. I didn't cancel my Verizon, just in case I didn't like it long term. Well, good thing I didn't. At work, I get reception with AT&T if I hold the phone in one specific spot on my desk, near the elevator, and if i am directly against a window. That's just not acceptable.

If AT&T can get better service, and the iPhone 2 has 3G, I would just from Verizon in a heartbeat.

That sucks ! Hope it gets better. Have you tried rebooting the phone ? Sometimes that will help get better signal strength.

Nope, it didn't.

in NH, you'd better stick with Verizon

Do you live in Manchester or in one of the surrounding towns?

One of the near suburbs to Manch-vegas, but you know how quickly things go from suburban to wilderness here.

I have had over a dozen different cell phones in the last couple of years. I have Verizon, and get bars EVERYWHERE. I played with the iPhone, and liked it so much (absolutely NO phone from any other carrier has a web interface that can come close to the iPhone's), that I went out and bought one. I didn't cancel my Verizon, just in case I didn't like it long term. Well, good thing I didn't. At work, I get reception with AT&T if I hold the phone in one specific spot on my desk, near the elevator, and if i am directly against a window. That's just not acceptable.

If AT&T can get better service, and the iPhone 2 has 3G, I would just from Verizon in a heartbeat.

Believe me I would keep it if I could affo$rd two phone contracts. No other PDA comes anywhere close to iPhone. (And 3G gets released this month, fyi.) But my business runs on my phone so something that only wooks 25% of the time is unacceptable.

My wife got one too, and shge was as giddy as a little girl at Christmas. (We're both a little geeky when it comes to tech.) But the two iPhones and a Sony Erickson Walkphone goes right back to ATT tomorrow. Then I have to put the kneepads on and crawl back to Verizon.

PTR

well I'm playing with my new I-phone. What an amazing device! The only problem is there's barely a signal at my house. I can't use it with no service. This despite all the hype on ATT having such great coverage. The salesguy swore my town was covered.

LTR

not to rain on your parade, but you know the new 3G iphone comes out next week, right?

Yeah he's right, you should have waited just a wee bit longer. Plus I think there is a price drop coming soon to like 199 or something.

They can hand them out free in boxes of Cracker Jacks. The point is they won't work at my house.

PTR

They can hand them out free in boxes of Cracker Jacks. The point is they won't work at my house.

PTR

probably getting a 3G for my birthday cause my Q is dying.

im absolutely dreading the switch to AT&T's network. leaving verizon is going to be tough.

AT+T is nonexistent out here in the woods, as my dad found out last weekend:

"My phone doesn't work!"

"You don't have Verizon anymore, do you? Because that's the only way you'll get a signal here."

Would a Crackberry work for you, PTR? I've considered switching, but haven't made the move. Some guys I know actually file from theirs, and leaving the laptop at home is a tempting thought ...

Verizon vs AT&T is odd. I was on Verizon and the signal bit rooster. AT&T has been 100% better.

weird. my verizon service has been flawless.

(because of work and customers) i know of particular AT&T towers, and whole areas, around me that dont handle DTMF on the iphone. meaning, when people try to select something from a phone menu, the selection never registers. including when you check voicemail.

im also not a big fan of AT&T's willingness to allow all the taping to go on, but thats a whole other headache for a whole other time.

No other PDA comes anywhere close to iPhone. (And 3G gets released this month, fyi.) But my business runs on my phone so something that only wooks 25% of the time is unacceptable.

Guess you've never heard of the Nokia N95.

probably getting a 3G for my birthday cause my Q is dying.

im absolutely dreading the switch to AT&T's network. leaving verizon is going to be tough.

So, you know you're service is going to suck, but you're still switching? Remember, a phone can have all the bells and whistles in the world, but if it can't make a phone call at every time you need it to, its worthless.

Borry someone's At&T phone that you know, or even better, go to Walmart and get a $19.99 goPhone and try to use it everywhere you would need it: home (every room), work, and in the car on the way to and from. That's what I did (I actually used GoPhone on the iPhone (which is still possible, PM me if you need instructions)) and it didn't come close to Verizon's reception.

Remember, when AT&T says "more bars in more places" it is simply not a fair statement as GSM phones work worldwide, whereas Verizon technology (CDMA) only works in North America. So, if you travel abroad alot, you would indeed get "more bars in more places". Other than that, stick with VZ. I know, it sucks because their phones suck; and I've owned most of them.

AT+T is nonexistent out here in the woods, as my dad found out last weekend:

"My phone doesn't work!"

"You don't have Verizon anymore, do you? Because that's the only way you'll get a signal here."

Would a Crackberry work for you, PTR? I've considered switching, but haven't made the move. Some guys I know actually file from theirs, and leaving the laptop at home is a tempting thought ...

After going iPhone, a Crackberry would scream "I'm inferior!!" I'd rather just go back to a flip phone. Maybe I'll get an iTouch instead.

PTR

LTR

Take off the damn tin foil hat ya ninny!

UPDATE: Just spoke to the manager at the ATT store. I can bring the phones back for a full refund. He did say the 3G coverage upgrade happens in NH in October. I may go month-to-month on Verizon till then, although I will test it out before signing up again.

PTR

Verizon vs AT&T is odd. I was on Verizon and the signal bit rooster. AT&T has been 100% better.

In my experience it simply matters where you live. There are surely places in the country that Verizon works well and ATT doesn't, and vice versa. From the reports I have heard, Verizon seems to be better in more places on the east coast than ATT is, although I am not positive about that. Just seems like more complaints from ATT users. The worst part of the iPhone is the actual phone reception of ATT. Most of the time, mine works great on the west coast but it drops calls in certain spots (although most all of course do).

In my experience it simply matters where you live. There are surely places in the country that Verizon works well and ATT doesn't, and vice versa. From the reports I have heard, Verizon seems to be better in more places on the east coast than ATT is, although I am not positive about that. Just seems like more complaints from ATT users. The worst part of the iPhone is the actual phone reception of ATT. Most of the time, mine works great on the west coast but it drops calls in certain spots (although most all of course do).

Bingo. Here in Austin, ATT works almost flawless, whereas my friends with Verizon have issues all the time.

So, you know you're service is going to suck, but you're still switching? Remember, a phone can have all the bells and whistles in the world, but if it can't make a phone call at every time you need it to, its worthless.

Borry someone's At&T phone that you know, or even better, go to Walmart and get a $19.99 goPhone and try to use it everywhere you would need it: home (every room), work, and in the car on the way to and from. That's what I did (I actually used GoPhone on the iPhone (which is still possible, PM me if you need instructions)) and it didn't come close to Verizon's reception.

Remember, when AT&T says "more bars in more places" it is simply not a fair statement as GSM phones work worldwide, whereas Verizon technology (CDMA) only works in North America. So, if you travel abroad alot, you would indeed get "more bars in more places". Other than that, stick with VZ. I know, it sucks because their phones suck; and I've owned most of them.

We're a completely Mac shop and if I go to AT&T i can get on our company's plan and not have to pay for my phone bill.

Plus I am able to do things on the iPhone that i can not do on most other smartphones, such as ssh'ing into all of our Linux based phone systems and being able to admin them.

And frankly, as far as work goes, being able to say "sorry, i cant take care of that right now at 11pm on Sunday, i dont have the coverage" would be a welcomed change. :(

Exactly. My AT&T service has been as as solid as a cellphone has ever been for me...easily 10X the service reliability I got from either Verizon or T-Mobile.

After going iPhone, a Crackberry would scream "I'm inferior!!" I'd rather just go back to a flip phone. Maybe I'll get an iTouch instead.

PTR

well I couldn't stand being without all the iPhone features. I bought an iTouch yesterday and I'm posting on it now. I feel like a kid at Christmas!

PTR

When I was on Verizon, I used to drop calls frequently. Except when I'm driving through certain parts of bum!@#$ PA, I never drop calls from AT&T.

You've been here, then. :thumbsup:

"Little Too Retarted"?

Not exactly. The iPhone tends to assume what you are trying to type. I guess it thought PTR was supposed to be LTR and changed it on me.

Oh, and it's spelled R-E-T-A-R-D-E-D.

PTR

Not exactly. The iPhone tends to assume what you are trying to type. I guess it thought PTR was supposed to be LTR and changed it on me.

Oh, and it's spelled R-E-T-A-R-D-E-D.

PTR

No, he was correct. He was saying someone tarted you. And then did it again.

Pay attention.

(and by the way, I told you you'd love the ITouch -- I bought a ONE CLICK jailbreak program for mine for $10 off ebay. It was just a bunch of FREEWARE but saved me the trouble of finding a good one. If you want it, PM me your email and I'll send it -- no charge of course. It makes the Touch soooo much cooler).

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought a new phone for Verizon. . . been trying to find one "close" to the iPhone. This one just came out, called the LG Dare.

Just got it this morning and its awesome so far. Accelerometer (meaning you turn the phone and it turns the layout -- like the iPhone). The browser STILL isn't as good as iPhones, but the touch screen is by FAR the best Verizon has ever had. Very responsive. . . better even that the HTC Touch that came out last month and I only kept for a week.

3.2 Mega Pixel camera with flash, and only $15 for unlimited web as it is not a smartphone, which is nice.

(most importantly, it gets reception! EVDO for internet! :wallbash: -- AT&T still doesn't get excellent reception where I live in WNY and none at work).

Just bought a new phone for Verizon. . . been trying to find one "close" to the iPhone. This one just came out, called the LG Dare.

Just got it this morning and its awesome so far. Accelerometer (meaning you turn the phone and it turns the layout -- like the iPhone). The browser STILL isn't as good as iPhones, but the touch screen is by FAR the best Verizon has ever had. Very responsive. . . better even that the HTC Touch that came out last month and I only kept for a week.

3.2 Mega Pixel camera with flash, and only $15 for unlimited web as it is not a smartphone, which is nice.

(most importantly, it gets reception! EVDO for internet! :D -- AT&T still doesn't get excellent reception where I live in WNY and none at work).

Get this for a better browser: http://www.operamini.com/

(most importantly, it gets reception! EVDO for internet! :D -- AT&T still doesn't get excellent reception where I live in WNY and none at work).

This looks promising. I'm switching out of T-mobile in a few weeks. I took a look at the numbers, and after taking the initial hit for the phone, the monthly fee is about the same as what I'm currently paying without the web capability.

$200 is still a little steep (for me), but I'm glad that this option exists for Verizon. Thanks.

okay, I will admit lazy and stupid when it comes to phones and technical stuff.So can someone splain to me how I get email with either the Iphone or the Verizon phone stoj was talking bout. See, I have crackberry now, on Verizon, and my company has a blackberry server, and I guess an Exchange server?? Like I said not to smart on this technical stuff so that exchange stuff is a guess.

So can I get an Iphone and still get my company emial? That verizon phone?

THX in advance for answers

okay, I will admit lazy and stupid when it comes to phones and technical stuff.So can someone splain to me how I get email with either the Iphone or the Verizon phone stoj was talking bout. See, I have crackberry now, on Verizon, and my company has a blackberry server, and I guess an Exchange server?? Like I said not to smart on this technical stuff so that exchange stuff is a guess.

So can I get an Iphone and still get my company emial? That verizon phone?

THX in advance for answers

Depends on how its setup. If your company does have an exchange server, you'd be able to connect to it using one of the 2nd generation iPhones (though I have no idea if it works well or not, haven't read anything so far).

The LG Dare, from my understanding, doesn't have a real email client to access such a service. You *may* be able to access it using Outlook Web Access, if your company has that enabled, through the phone's web browser.

Depends on how its setup. If your company does have an exchange server, you'd be able to connect to it using one of the 2nd generation iPhones (though I have no idea if it works well or not, haven't read anything so far).

The LG Dare, from my understanding, doesn't have a real email client to access such a service. You *may* be able to access it using Outlook Web Access, if your company has that enabled, through the phone's web browser.

I can access through web mail, but that sounds like ore a pain in da rear then it would be worth. I am dead with email.

I can access through web mail, but that sounds like ore a pain in da rear then it would be worth. I am dead with email.

I'd recommend getting a smart phone then. If you like the iPhone, sounds like that suits your needs much better.

I'd recommend getting a smart phone then. If you like the iPhone, sounds like that suits your needs much better.

That iphone thing looks cool, and I think i read that the new one connects to exchange , but I am not sure how that works.

Thank you for reply, i am realy a dolt when it comes to such things.

That iphone thing looks cool, and I think i read that the new one connects to exchange , but I am not sure how that works.

Thank you for reply, i am realy a dolt when it comes to such things.

It uses Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync.

As usual, though, you should check with your company's IT staff to make sure the server supports everything necessary for you to use it.