Saudis tell Bush to go F himself

It would definitely be a boost for Alaska. However, is that your reason for supporting the drilling? I thought you weren't a big fan of government spending money to create jobs.

The government doesn't spend money on drilling. Virtually the entire bill is footed privately (permitting, etc) and it's VERY costly. And the boost as far as jobs go is far greater for the lower 48 because the things required aren't made in Alaska.

The downstream effect is gigantic. Worth hundreds of billions of dollars. Plus the government gets $.18 a gallon...

Yes, I'm aware of their estimates that there would be a couple billion barrels of oil at a cheaper cost. Without the impact to overall costs, nor the ability to sustain us very far, whats the benefit?

The private sector will decide if it's worth the effort or not. I trust the marketplace to make a more intelligent decision than a handful of scumbags in Washington who want to make sure the hippie vote stays in their pocket.

Plus, do we really know how much is down there? Where's Fan in Chicago?

The private sector will decide if it's worth the effort or not. I trust the marketplace to make a more intelligent decision than a handful of scumbags in Washington who want to make sure the hippie vote stays in their pocket.

Yeah, from my understanding the gubmint was going to pick up a lot of the costs. If what Darin said was correct (need to do some research), I don't have a problem with it.

USGS says between 6 and 16 BBL in the 1002 area. Plus between 33 and 100 TRILLION Cubic Feet of Natural Gas.

Yeah, from my understanding the gubmint was going to pick up a lot of the costs. If what Darin said was correct (need to do some research), I don't have a problem with it.

Here's my point BF, at first blush you were not in favor of it and really didn't know why. That is the stance of so many people that it's sad. The whole issue is a political football and the Democrats won't consider drilling there for mostly political purposes. We've all agreed this is not a silver bullet for our energy crisis (which it is becoming quickly), but it is but one of many steps we can take to lessen our dependence on foreign energy sources.

Now folks need to see the issue for what it is, another example of our fukking politicians not doing whats right for the country, but what's right for them and/or their party.

Here's my point BF, at first blush you were not in favor of it and really didn't know why. That is the stance of so many people that it's sad. The whole issue is a political football and the Democrats won't consider drilling there for mostly political purposes. We've all agreed this is not a silver bullet for our energy crisis (which it is becoming quickly), but it is but one of many steps we can take to lessen our dependence on foreign energy sources.

Now folks need to see the issue for what it is, another example of our fukking politicians not doing whats right for the country, but what's right for them and/or their party.

Uh, what? I knew perfectly why I was against it (which I wouldn't be if AD is correct and not what I got from previous information).

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2008/0...mocrats_co.html

Senator Chuck Schumer claims that coercing Saudi Arabia to increase oil production by 1 million barrels a day would drop the per barrel price by $25, saving Americans 62 cent per gallon at the gas pump. Yet, somehow, that same amount of oil coming from Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge would only ease oil prices by a penny.

In a Senate floor speech he gave on May 13th, the New York Democrat insisted that:

"If Saudi Arabia were to increase its production by 1 million barrels per day that translates to a reduction of 20 percent to 25 percent in the world price of crude oil, and crude oil prices could fall by more than $25 dollar per barrel from its current level of $126 per barrel. In turn, that would lower the price of gasoline between 13 percent and 17 percent, or by more than 62 cents off the expected summer regular-grade price - offering much needed relief to struggling families. "

Schumer repeated these words almost verbatim when grilling oil company executives during yesterday's Senate Judiciary Committee hearings.

Yet Schumer's daily magic number of 1 million barrels is the exact increase experts believe we would today be pumping through the Alyeska pipeline had Bill Clinton not vetoed ANWR drilling back in 1995. And even the most rabid anti-domestic-drilling Democrats don't take issue with that figure.

So then, the increase he demands of "Bush's friends," the Saudis - which he claims would reduce prices by up to 25 percent -- is the exact amount he argued earlier this month would only "reduce the price of oil by a penny" were it coming from ANWR - eco-sacred breeding ground of the Porcupine Caribou.

It doesn't take a Ph.D in economics to know that both figures can't be right.

Nor one in Poli-Sci to know why they're so starkly different nonetheless

"ANWR would also provide substantial revenues. Oil companies would have to pay rent for leasing rights, royalties on each barrel produced, and corporate income taxes on their profits. The Congressional Research Service estimates that, based on current oil prices, over $112 billion in revenues would be accrued by the federal government, $36 billion from leasing and royalty revenues and $76 billion from tax revenues."

Congressional Research Service memorandum, “Possible Federal Tax Revenues From Oil Development at ANWR,” April 27, 2006, p. 2.

That says nothing of LNG production/pipeline.

ANWR saves 75 cents and takes 10 yrs to deliver

If Congress were to open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling, crude oil prices would probably drop by an average of only 75 cents a barrel, according to Department of Energy projections issued Thursday.

It estimates that if Congress agreed to open ANWR this year, Alaskan oil could hit the market in about 10 years.

And if the f'n idiot Clinton would have allowed drilling, we'd be getting the oil now.

So what. IMO, I view it like my coin jars at home... Almost everyday I add to the quarters, dimes, nickels, and penny jar... Heck the penny jar is now already a half filled 5 gallon water cooler bottle... Am I gonna go to "CoinStar" and cash them in? Heck no! For what under a grand? :oops::beer: "A penny saved is a penny earned."

Like opening up ANWAR would have made difference... Gas would still be 4 bucks a gallon. Remember during the 2004 campaign when Kerry said that gas should or is going to be around $3.50 to $4.00 a gallon... He really got hammered and nailed to the cross... Where is it now?

Back to my coin... I am not going to cash it in even if I really need to. I am going to wait a real long time and do it when it is a luxury windfall!

Back to my coin... I am not going to cash it in even if I really need to. I am going to wait a real long time and do it when it is a luxury windfall!

Really smart. Why put it in something that earns interest when you can leave it in a glass jar and admire its shininess?

The Riddler is a gift that keeps on giving.

Really smart. Why put it in something that earns interest when you can leave it in a glass jar and admire its shininess?

The Riddler is a gift that keeps on giving.

True.

But, life isn't the perfect utopia that you envision it to be... A great sizable percentage (well over 25%) of my earnings go into interest bearing accounts... I am just not going to worry about the chump change... Again, I know that can add up.

Get over yourself and your way of trying to always maximize things... I am indifferent in this manner... You don't have to be perfect Darin... Just a compassionate giving heart that doesn't sacrifice your own personal financial (and other) protection...

You are way too uptight! Keep scratching and clawing, I know you will get to where you want to be!

Well I guess $3.25 is better than $4.00 :lol:

Good point!

Have you ever been at the pump when they are adjusting the price on the computers... I saw it move $.35 in front of my eyes!

There wasn't even a fuel truck filling the tanks up... Which leads me to a tangent :thumbsup: ... I NEVER fill my rig when the truck is filling the underground tanks... I just don't what all that crap being stirred up to somehow (probably low though) to enter my vehicle...

Good point!

Have you ever been at the pump when they are adjusting the price on the computers... I saw it move $.35 in front of my eyes!

There wasn't even a fuel truck filling the tanks up... Which leads me to a tangent :lol: ... I NEVER fill my rig when the truck is filling the underground tanks... I just don't what all that crap being stirred up to somehow (probably low though) to enter my vehicle...

Buncha cars here got poison gas over the weekend - Shell refinery in Bellingham had a "water problem" and didn't catch it. Poor slobs paid $4 a gallon and most of their cars never made it out of the drive from the gas station. The exception was a Subaru, which went a mile. Guess that's my next car....

Buncha cars here got poison gas over the weekend - Shell refinery in Bellingham had a "water problem" and didn't catch it. Poor slobs paid $4 a gallon and most of their cars never made it out of the drive from the gas station. The exception was a Subaru, which went a mile. Guess that's my next car....

:thumbsup:

"Subaru, built cheap and meant to stay that way!"

:lol: