MOVE OVER SMARTY JONES

You're such a hater, dev. :thumbsup:

In the case of the Triple Crown, I neither hate the player nor the game as I don't really care. I just hate the hype

In the case of the Patriots*, I love the game but hate the players. And I hate the hype surrounding the players* I hate

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No such thing as a sure thing in horse racing.

$5.3MM in cash bet at the track on BB to win. There are some very happy people right now at Belmont.

Da' Tara paid $79, $28 and $14.80. Denis of Cork returned $5.80 and $4.10. Anak Nakal paid $7.60 and Ready's Echo returned $6.20.

I'm not great with figuring odds but I think that means a $1000 bet on Da' Tara would have netted $79,000. :lol:

Dead Last :lol:

That's almost as enjoyable as the look on Randy Moss and Tom Brady's face at the end of the Super Bowl :thumbsup:

Awww man, he's a horse. He was injured for a while before the race. I just think he was out of condition.

It's better Pinkie died before this happened. It would've killed her.

thats would Stojan gets for wanting to wipe of polar bears and whistling while he walks away from a injured human being. It is called karma

I lose $8.95 on a domain name?

Man, that Karma is a B word... 9 bucks for taking out an entire species? I'll take it!

Da' Tara paid $79, $28 and $14.80. Denis of Cork returned $5.80 and $4.10. Anak Nakal paid $7.60 and Ready's Echo returned $6.20.

I'm not great with figuring odds but I think that means a $1000 bet on Da' Tara would have netted $79,000. :blink:

Actually, it would be half of that, because those payouts reflect $2 bets not $1 bets.

Still, $39,500 still deserves a :wallbash:

I thought Kent Desormeux took Big Brown too wide on the outside. And when BB wanted to go inside he pulled him outside. I think it demoralized BB and he quit on him.

The horse took him outside. One of two things happened....1) The foot was iffy, but since a stud deal was done and the connections owe a lot to NY racing, they made sure he was ok to give it a try and gave it their best shot as to not cost NYRA a payday at the betting windows and the turnstiles. The horse was lugging out from the start. When one side is off, the horse will move out in the other direction as overcompensation. He came out of the gate and went to the right...went a few strides and lugged out, and almost blew the turn. A horse goes from running on it's right front leg to it's left front in the turns. Big Brown looked like a rudderless ship on that first turn. He stayed wide the whole trip and the jockey had nothing to do with it from what I can tell on the replays.

Now, he didn't look lame and he ran 48 seconds for a half mile and 1:13 for 6 furlongs, which is like a slow workout for a horse that good. He started backing up after that, and Desormeux was asking him for a bit around the turn and only tapped him in front once with the whip. Once that didn't work and the other horses starting coming, he just pulled him up which is the safe thing to do.

2) The only thing that I can think of would be that the heat sapped him early, and he had a muscle problem in his hind end...but he didn't tie up and today they couldn't find anything.

80% it was the foot, and with all the hooplah about injury and Eight Bells, they sure as heck aren't going to tell you it was the foot. They have been pretty honest about his issues from the get go, but then you really can't hide a foot splitting either. A few months ago his foot was made of Play-dough and they just wanted to get to the Derby, so all in all they had a great run.

The horse took him outside. One of two things happened....1) The foot was iffy, but since a stud deal was done and the connections owe a lot to NY racing, they made sure he was ok to give it a try and gave it their best shot as to not cost NYRA a payday at the betting windows and the turnstiles. The horse was lugging out from the start. When one side is off, the horse will move out in the other direction as overcompensation. He came out of the gate and went to the right...went a few strides and lugged out, and almost blew the turn. A horse goes from running on it's right front leg to it's left front in the turns. Big Brown looked like a rudderless ship on that first turn. He stayed wide the whole trip and the jockey had nothing to do with it from what I can tell on the replays.

Now, he didn't look lame and he ran 48 seconds for a half mile and 1:13 for 6 furlongs, which is like a slow workout for a horse that good. He started backing up after that, and Desormeux was asking him for a bit around the turn and only tapped him in front once with the whip. Once that didn't work and the other horses starting coming, he just pulled him up which is the safe thing to do.

2) The only thing that I can think of would be that the heat sapped him early, and he had a muscle problem in his hind end...but he didn't tie up and today they couldn't find anything.

80% it was the foot, and with all the hooplah about injury and Eight Bells, they sure as heck aren't going to tell you it was the foot. They have been pretty honest about his issues from the get go, but then you really can't hide a foot splitting either. A few months ago his foot was made of Play-dough and they just wanted to get to the Derby, so all in all they had a great run.

Good post. I also assumed Desormeux was happy to be off the rail and directly behind the leader where BB might have been kicked.

One of Big Brown's greatest strengths was his ability to accellerate for position, and then ease into a groove and stay in that spot. Many horses, when the jockey asks for some jump, will provide it, but then want to go all out and can't settle off the pace. They actually use more effort when the jock slows them down. But Big Brown seemed able to accelerate so as to not get boxed in or get in a bad spot, and then not fight Desormeaux when he tightened the reins again.

In the Belmont, he looked very rank entering the first turn and almost ran up that horse's ass on the rail. I thought Desormeaux did a nice job getting him out of trouble and into a more comfortable position. They had to be liking their spot on the backstretch, sitting comfortably off the lead with a moderate pace. However, when Desormeaux loosened around the clubhouse turn and asked for the typical BB explosion, it just wasn't there.

There's a lot of possibilities, the hoof being an obvious one. The heat/humidity is another consideration. He didn't receive his Winstrol shot on May 15th either, which certainly could have an impact in the longest race of his life. Another is the old thoroughbred "bounce" theory. He was a good horse, and still is a good horse, he just had a bad day at the worst time. He has been setting up for a bounce since his first race, and he's not the first horse to fail in the Test of Champions, racing against the best thoroughbreds in the world for the third time in five weeks.

Good post. I also assumed Desormeux was happy to be off the rail and directly behind the leader where BB might have been kicked.

As it was, he did get jostled around quite a bit before he managed to get outside. Some people were wondering if he did get kicked ...

I'm no expert, though, so I'm glad guys like DD and LLR are weighing in.