McKelvin or McGee on kickoff?

Is it stupid to suggest they create a few offensive packages for McKelvin to run reverses or bubble screens?

Yeah, I think that would be pretty stupid...the guy is going to have 3 hands full trying to learn the defense as a rookie, let alone worry about studying up on some offensive Tom Foolery. As a matter of fact, I'd think twice before I let him start returning kicks/punts as well. Let him focus on transforming from a college shutdown corner to an NFL shutdown corner...then, IF we need him for other aspects of the game, then so be it...just not yet.

Yeah, I think that would be pretty stupid...the guy is going to have 3 hands full trying to learn the defense as a rookie, let alone worry about studying up on some offensive Tom Foolery. As a matter of fact, I'd think twice before I let him start returning kicks/punts as well. Let him focus on transforming from a college shutdown corner to an NFL shutdown corner...then, IF we need him for other aspects of the game, then so be it...just not yet.

I'm with you on this, Mr. Sedita. Besides, I'm not sure I want my #1 CB returning kicks when we already have such capable players doing that. And make no mistake, McKelvin IS our #1 CB as soon as he signs.

GO BILLS!!!

The reason McGee was not as good as two years ago was due to great wedge play, mainly Justin Bannan. With Whittle unable to fill the Bannan role due to injury last year and Fletcher gone to Washinington, the blocking took a step back. Hopefully Whittle stays healthy and someone like Viti can give us Fletcher-like play (he was very good there) in that role. Should that happen, McGee or McKelvin should enjoy some very nice returns. :D

McGee.

McGee is a proven Pro Bowl Returner, McKelvin hasn't even participated in an NFL practice yet. Its really a no brainer. There's no way I just "give" the job to McKelvin. If its midway through the season and McGee is struggling, give McKelvin a shot. Its McGee's job to lose.

I really hate the argument of "I don't want us to use our top corner for returning kicks" because we've been doing it for the last few years now, and he's the best on our team at it. Also, McKelvin is a 1st round pick, and will probably start, AND will have much more of a financial commitment than McGee. So if you use that argument for McGee not returning kicks, you need to take McKelvin out of the mix as well.

I'm with you on this, Mr. Sedita. Besides, I'm not sure I want my #1 CB returning kicks when we already have such capable players doing that. And make no mistake, McKelvin IS our #1 CB as soon as he signs.

GO BILLS!!!

Well, I hope you're right...but I'm not so optimistic. I think he'll fit in well...but if were VERY lucky, he'll be #2 by the home opener, but more realistically he'll start the season at nickel, and work his way up the ladder throughout the season, and into next year. I don't think a corner can step right in and have as much impact as a running back, or a linebacker.

Well, I hope you're right...but I'm not so optimistic. I think he'll fit in well...but if were VERY lucky, he'll be #2 by the home opener, but more realistically he'll start the season at nickel, and work his way up the ladder throughout the season, and into next year. I don't think a corner can step right in and have as much impact as a running back, or a linebacker.

He's better than Clements coming out of college and Nate started right away. Good corners CAN step in and contribute, it's been done on numerous occassions as you know. Will he get burned? Yep. Will he break up a pass in a key situation? Yep. Will he allow Juaron and Co. the luxury to mix up coverages a bit more (assuming our injured players return and stay HEALTHY this year)? Absolutely.

My ONLY concern, and it's a big one, is can he translate his physical gifts to learning new defensive concepts. Can he learn his zone responsibilities quickly enough? He'll make up for his mental mistakes with sheer ability at times but that's the aspect of the game that will retard his development the most initially. As it is for everyone entereing the league.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

He will be taken to the cleaners and popped into the cheap seats for the 1st half of the season, if the history of rookie CBs holds true. I wouldn't anoint him #1, quite yet...

I respectfully disagree. The Bills didn't draft a corner at #11 to have him play nickel. McKelvin will be in the starting lineup on September 7 unless he's injured. Mark it down.

As for returning kicks -- that's an easy transition from college to the pros. If you've got another gamebreaker who can do it, you let him do it.

Its like the idea above asking whether it would be stupid to create a few offensive plays for McKelvin. No its not stupid just way way (a lot) premature. McKelvin will have his hands full gaining a full mastery of his defensive position play for him (or the braintrust) to worry at all about figuring out some good offensive plays for him.

Its a notion to keep in the back of our minds as he simply flat out says he loves carrying the rock (he has a rep as a great defender but more as a pass blocker rather than a successful interceptor due to some notable drops of the ball in college when he had his hands on the ball- perhaps this occurred because he made an extraordinary play merely to get his hands on the ball). However, there is no need and it may even be counterproductive and distracting to bestow this reward on him before he shows the ability to make some INTs and be dangerous running it back.

Likewise with the return game. First things first as right now the concentration should be on him mastering the Cover 2 and the CB position (a number of vets have remarked it takes them a year of playing the Cover 2 before they master it so it will not be shocking if McKelvin is not only a liability at CB to start but perhaps even as a nickel.

He should be given some touches in pre-season as a return guy and then prove on the field he deserves more.

In particular if he needs to sit on the bench and watch and learn a bit in order to master the Cover 2, then actually it becomes a bit more of a need to in fact have him carry a lot of water as a return guy as the media like WGR and jerry Sullivan would love to pre-maturely declare a player a bust to sell more newpapers and radio ads.

The main lesson in this IMHO is one step at a time. We start with moving him as far up the CB chain as fast as he can go (we hope he starts at CB but one should not expect it, we do expect he will contribute as a nickel as quickly as he can, we are prepared though if he needs some time for his mental output to equal his physical potential as an NFL position player and if the coaches judge this to be the case then put the pedal to the metal for having him contribute as return guy.

McGee has been overwhelmed by the many tasks he has to do as a return guy and starting CB in the past. We saw this when he failed to do the reads properly early season before last. Sitting him down to watch for a week and then easing his burdens by having NC cover the other team's #1 all over the field allowed him to perform much better in the second half of the season and at least be adequate last year as our #1 CB (the pass protection overall was not adequate but this seemed based to me is us being around the bottom of the league in QB sacks and pressure).

Ironically, I think it actually would increase the Bills productivity to have him be able to focus more on the KR game by having McKelvin take on some of the CB pressure than to see McGee improve his CB play by losing KR duties. However, it seems pre-mature to conclude anything since McKelvin has not even hit a player in anger in a Bills uni.

Guest dog14787
Screw both....go with Flutie!

Flutie can scramble pretty well and he's so small, on kickoffs he might get lost in the shuffle :wallbash:

Seriously, I say use them both, they play the same position so one could spell the other when needed :wallbash: