3rd Round Selection: Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech

Just got here so if I'm touching on things already mentioned sorry.

I don't like this pick he's had two shoulder surgeries, is a slight character risk and supposedly isn't very smart.

It seems that the Marv Levy/Bill Polian player drafting rules have been thrown out the window.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact they picked a cornerback--that's my opinion--I expect you to start insulting me since you disagree, right.

Like--are you on drugs, I'm glad you are not he gm, stop posting, stuff like that.

No insults needed. I can see why some don't think much of drafting a corner but its not exactly a disaster.

given that not a single wr was taken in the first, it would have been a major mistake to take one at 11.

So as a Virginia Tech season ticket holder, I've followed Ellis ever since his recruitment to Tech. Ellis is a hell of an athlete. Frankly, the scouting reports make every player seem like a huge risk and/or as having insurmountable flaws. I don't know where they get the stuff about Ellis not having a motor - he's a "heart and soul" type of player who plays "on the edge" with almost too much passion at times. His biggest problem (and I think any VT fan would agree) is that he gets so fired up in the big games that he takes the occasional dumb 15 yard personal foul penalty (i.e. he can't turn the motor off when the play ends). I also don't know where they get the stuff about Ellis not being solid against the run. Most would consider him to be a very good run defender - you don't play on VTs defense if you can't stop the run & he was arguably Tech's best run defender on the d-line. I don't argue that he took plays off against some weak opponents, but I never saw him dog it in a game that wasn't a Tech blowout. He did lose some upper body strength after the shoulder surgery, but should be fine now.

IMHO he was brought in to play the role that Hargrave used to play. He's a fiery, nasty competitor and a very good pass rusher. This kid is a fighter by nature (not unlike Hargrave) and if that makes him a character issue, so be it. IMHO he should be an excellent addition to the d-end rotation.

So as a Virginia Tech season ticket holder, I've followed Ellis ever since his recruitment to Tech. Ellis is a hell of an athlete. Frankly, the scouting reports make every player seem like a huge risk and/or as having insurmountable flaws. I don't know where they get the stuff about Ellis not having a motor - he's a "heart and soul" type of player who plays "on the edge" with almost too much passion at times. His biggest problem (and I think any VT fan would agree) is that he gets so fired up in the big games that he takes the occasional dumb 15 yard personal foul penalty (i.e. he can't turn the motor off when the play ends). I also don't know where they get the stuff about Ellis not being solid against the run. Most would consider him to be a very good run defender - you don't play on VTs defense if you can't stop the run & he was arguably Tech's best run defender on the d-line. I don't argue that he took plays off against some weak opponents, but I never saw him dog it in a game that wasn't a Tech blowout. He did lose some upper body strength after the shoulder surgery, but should be fine now.

IMHO he was brought in to play the role that Hargrave used to play. He's a fiery, nasty competitor and a very good pass rusher. This kid is a fighter by nature (not unlike Hargrave) and if that makes him a character issue, so be it. IMHO he should be an excellent addition to the d-end rotation.

Hey thanks for posting, Bill. I'm glad to hear your take. It certainly makes the negatives they list for him seem less worrisome. I'd love to have a few more defenders that can rotate in, make a big play and fire up the defense.

I like this pick, Ellis can be a very effective 3rd down rusher and give us a different look... his first step is quick and he's got that edge speed... can he translate it to the NFL? Good Question but if he can muscle up he can be a good eventual replacement for Schobel.

Re: the Ellis pick (legal and taking downs off), and Hardy (legal probs), does it look like the Bills' stance on character players is shifting? I always took the character comments to be more about football character (passion, focus and drive). But, for Ellis, it looks like this is nearly the definition of his negatives.

There are capital L and small L legal problems Both of these guys are small L IMO. I can't count the number of times I could have been picked up for disorderly conduct between 18-22 and I'm not what you'd call a low character guy.

I'm glad we've gotten off our high horse a bit. We were excluding wayyy too many good players for stupid little things. it's like the Eric Moulds ordering a pizza to practice thing. Was Moulds a bit of a douche during his tenure? yeah. We he pretty damn good too, uhm, yeah.

I don't recall posting specifically to you. Why you feel the need to respond to me, I don't know.

But I do have a suggestion for you--take a few valium and dive into the deep end of the pool.

Take things rather personally don't you? Your comment about McKelvin was ridiculous and I don't think there was anything wrong with someone calling you on that

Oh, thanks for the post also. Because after reading this article, I thought they made a mistake with the pick.

Inrich.com article on Chris Ellis

First time poster. I've met Chris before - the last time was just a few days before the draft. I work with his mother Laurie and we talk quite a bit. She and Chris' father raised Chris well - he absolutely adores his mom and they talk almost daily.

Concerning the "character issues", I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Chris is a good kid. When Chris got in trouble, he simply made the mistake of not turning his head and walking away when the police were trying to arrest one of his fellow players. What can be called a 'character issue' could also be called 'loyalty to your own' - it just depends on what side of the coin you are on. I can tell you this much - he's no thug and neither are any of his friends. He's a very polite young man.

A little tidbit to throw out there. I was talking with Chris' mom today and she was telling me that Chris was supposed to be hang out at home until he goes back to Buffalo. After being home a day or two, he decided to go back to Tech so he could be in a place where he could work out the way he needs to work out. He did this because he wants to show up in much better shape than he was at the first mincamp.

I'm not a Bills fan so I doubt I'll check in often. However, if there is a question for Chris you would like me to ask, please have an admin send me an email and I'll see what I can do.

Good luck Bills fans.

First time poster. I've met Chris before - the last time was just a few days before the draft. I work with his mother Laurie and we talk quite a bit. She and Chris' father raised Chris well - he absolutely adores his mom and they talk almost daily.

Concerning the "character issues", I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Chris is a good kid. When Chris got in trouble, he simply made the mistake of not turning his head and walking away when the police were trying to arrest one of his fellow players. What can be called a 'character issue' could also be called 'loyalty to your own' - it just depends on what side of the coin you are on. I can tell you this much - he's no thug and neither are any of his friends. He's a very polite young man.

A little tidbit to throw out there. I was talking with Chris' mom today and she was telling me that Chris was supposed to be hang out at home until he goes back to Buffalo. After being home a day or two, he decided to go back to Tech so he could be in a place where he could work out the way he needs to work out. He did this because he wants to show up in much better shape than he was at the first mincamp.

I'm not a Bills fan so I doubt I'll check in often. However, if there is a question for Chris you would like me to ask, please have an admin send me an email and I'll see what I can do.

Good luck Bills fans.

Thanks for that post. Sometimes it's way to easy to pass judgment on others with knowing the full story. Here's to Ellis being a big time player for the Bills. :thumbsup:

Good luck Bills fans.

Thanks for a great post! That is really nice to hear- I am glad Chris is a good kid. I have high hopes for him and wish him the best. Thanks for stopping by