Bills interested in Sheppard

jreed82

Why all the hating on Crowell???? I thought he had a really good season last year, unless I missed something...Only eight guys had more total tackles, and he also added on a couple sacks, a pick, and a safety. Playing next to Ellison and DiGiorgio for most of the season, I'd say that's pretty impressive.

and behind one of the worst DLines in NFL history. I couldn't agree more, the hating on Crowell is baseless.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

crow is a friggen good LB.

lito is a better corner than nate, nate is a sick playmaker and great hitter, but lito is a more steady more fundamentally sound guy, who also has pick off and run back ability.

lito on moss with donte over the top, moss breaks in for the pass and BOOM -- moss get's lazy and short armed.

we would also have 4 guys in our base D that could drop back and cover the top 2 WRs on most any teams for like 4 or 5 seconds. that means sacks and turnovers.

and behind one of the worst DLines in NFL history. I couldn't agree more, the hating on Crowell is baseless.

Look, nobody hates Crowell. He was the BEST LB on our team last year.

That said, IF (and it's a BIG if) the Bills were to draft a guy like Rivers for instance, Crowell would all of a sudden NOT be starting. Poz, Mitchell, and Rivers are ALL BETTER RIGHT NOW. Crowell is too inconsistent in his pursuit angles and is below average in coverage. It wasn't all the Dline last year. We had TERRIBLE LBing. Ellison and DeGorgio? Are you kidding me? They were way worse than Crowell. And that's saying a lot. You may say my analysis of Crowell is baseless and you're free to that opinion, but the game tape I've reviewed suggests otherwise. Heck, if you just took the time to review the television tape you'd see enough to scratch your head at least. Yes he makes great plays at times. But he makes up for it with FAR more bas plays than good ones.

I would phrase it this way: Our Dline played IN FRONT of one of the worst linebacking corps in NFL history.

GO BILLS!!!

Absolutely, but the issue is his contract, he wants megabucks. Can we or would we afford it? Ask the FO.

It's not so much that he wants "megabucks" it's that he just signed a new deal with the Eagles who were stingy with him and gave the "we don't spend big money on corners" line. The Eagles then turned around and dropped 10 million on Asante Samuel. He is pissed that a guy from another team was worth more to the Eagles than a Pro Bowl CB on their own roster who has helped them win already.

Hard to argue with that really. i think if we bring him in we can get away with a lesser renegotiation than the Eagles can at this point.

It's not so much that he wants "megabucks" it's that he just signed a new deal with the Eagles who were stingy with him and gave the "we don't spend big money on corners" line. The Eagles then turned around and dropped 10 million on Asante Samuel. He is pissed that a guy from another team was worth more to the Eagles than a Pro Bowl CB on their own roster who has helped them win already.

Hard to argue with that really. i think if we bring him in we can get away with a lesser renegotiation than the Eagles can at this point.

ummm, he signed in 2004 for $26M through 2011. I wasn't a math whiz, but that's 4 years before Asante Samuels donned an Eagles jersey and things have changed a bit since then. Yes, he's pissed and maybe he has a right to be, I'm not debating that. Please explain to me why Lito Sheppard would be willing to sign for less in Buffalo than he would get in Philly?

ummm, he signed in 2004 for $25M through 2011. I wasn't a math whiz, but that's 4 years before Asante Samuels donned an Eagles jersey and things have changed a bit since then. Yes, he's pissed and maybe he has a right to be, I'm not debating that. Please explain to me why Lito Sheppard would be willing to sign for less in Buffalo than he would get in Philly?

Well, because he's really pissed at the Eagles right now who have him by the short hirs. As you noted he's under contract until 2011. A protracted holdout really isn't an option. What he really wants now is out of Philly and a few more bones to show him some love from his new team. Split the difference between Samuel and where he is now and he'll be fine.

If it were me I'd split the difference on base salary and give him performance incentives that would allow him to exceed Samuel's contract. Use that burr under his saddle for productive purposes.

I'm just really not sure he's worth a straight up swap.

I'd really like to see a third, or at least a 4th from them as well.

I personally wouldn't value Sheppard as a 2nd round pick, which is what a straight up swap says he is.

No offense Joe but that is the type of thinking that causes deals to fall through.

The bills are in a little bit of a pickle here (well depending on how you look at it)

- Everyone is looking to trade down it seems

- The bills COULD draft Harvey at 11 and then hope that a servicable wideout falls to their 2nd pick but that is taking a huge risk.

- The bills COULD draft harvey at 11 and then try to trade back into the 1st round, BUT what happens if they cannot trade back in? And they will have to give something up TO trade back in thus reducing their chances of getting a quality TE.

In this scenario you have upgraded your DB's BIG TIME while at the same time still able to have your choice of the wideouts.....and you still have all of your picks.

crow is a friggen good LB.

lito is a better corner than nate, nate is a sick playmaker and great hitter, but lito is a more steady more fundamentally sound guy, who also has pick off and run back ability.

lito on moss with donte over the top, moss breaks in for the pass and BOOM -- moss get's lazy and short armed.

we would also have 4 guys in our base D that could drop back and cover the top 2 WRs on most any teams for like 4 or 5 seconds. that means sacks and turnovers.

BS on sheppard being "more steady more fundamentally sound". sheppard is a feast or famine guy - sheldon brown was the steady, fundamentally sound CB for philly.

No offense Joe but that is the type of thinking that causes deals to fall through.

Well, if the only way Philly is interested is if it's a straight up swap, then I wouldn't be opposed to letting it fall through.

I'm not saying the Bills have to "win" the deal. I'm just saying they should make it a little more even.

If a draft value was placed on Sheppard 6 months ago, would it have been a 2nd round pick? I'm not sure, but I doubt it.

But I like most teams am willing to negotiate. So I'm confident that if the Bills want Sheppard, they can get it done without giving up too much.

So what does trading for Marcus Stroud say?

PTR

it says that buffalo hasn't had a decent DT since Donahoe let Pat Williams walk out of town, and we had a chance to get a year removed pro bowl player for almost peanuts. i would have thought that was obvious.

Apples & oranges....they said no to Nate because he wanted more money than he thought he was worth. I think (hope) Brandon is smart enough not to overpay, but since Lito is a known quantity, he should be able to sign him to a (somewhat) reasonable deal.

If (and that's a huge IF) this deal gets done and they sign Lito to Clements-type numbers, then we can wonder.

I disagree that the FO would be saying they prefer players from other systems. Perhaps it's the FO saying we don't want TD's draftees because they aren't the right players they want to represent the Buffalo Bills. Perhaps it's the FO saying that TD screwed up enough so that we don't have time to develop players, so we need a veteran or two that can really play.

It has been reported Sheppard wants Hall type money. Hall got more guaranteed money than Clements did. I do not see the Bills doing this deal.

What if the Eagles made this trade and drafted Devin thomas or Limus sweed.... would you still like the deal?

Just saying i have heard the eagles are looking at wideout for a playmaker. At 11 they would have thier choice of any of them. We need to consider that before we make a deal

All indications are that the Eagles want to trade up to 11 or higher to draft a DT or DE

In any event, at pick 19, the Bills would have a nice selection amongst the top-rated WR's.

it says that buffalo hasn't had a decent DT since Donahoe let Pat Williams walk out of town, and we had a chance to get a year removed pro bowl player for almost peanuts. i would have thought that was obvious.

Promo was responding to a blanket statement by BillsVet that if we signed Sheppard after letting Clements go, that the FO is biased against players that we (probably meaning TD) drafted, which is hilarious.

There's no argument that Stroud was a good deal and in all likelihood will anchor the interior of our DL for a few years.