Kansas City possible trade partner with Buffalo?

In 2001, the Bills traded down from 14 to 21 (7 spots), and picked up a 2nd round pick.

Why does anybody think that trading down 8 spots from #11 and picking up a mere 3rd round pick in a draft that is said to be weak is a good thing?

You're too hung up on the concept of "draft value." By trading down and picking up an extra 3rd, we should still be able to get the WR of choice (Sweed i hope), and that extra third gives us flexibility in either 1) moving back into round 1 by packaging it with the 2nd rounder, or 2) moving back into the second by packaging it with our other 3rd.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was supposed to be a pretty strong draft.

I welcome correction by others, but this draft strikes me as being strong on both lines, especially at the OT position.

It appears weak at WR, QB, TE, and perhaps RB. I don't pay too much attention to the secondary.

I just looked it up:

#11 pick = 1,250

#17 pick = 950

#66 pick = 260

That's 40 points short on value. KC also has the 105th pick (84pts) 136th pick (38pts) and the 140th (36pts). They need to add one of those to the deal.

Draft value chart

Did you know KC has 13 picks now?

PTR

Using the new chart:

#11 pick = 1320

#17 pick = 1070

#66 pick = 260

Looks like value to me according to this chart...of course if no teams are using Florio's chart...

new value chart

The worst thing about Buffalo trading down is that it means another 70 minutes (at least) sitting in front of the boob tube waiting for us to make a pick....uggg.

\\

I think your math is off a bit.

It would be 60 minutes (AT MOST). Is waiting 1 additional hour on a Saturday afternoon, for the pick of a player, that may or may not contribute much to the team as a rookie, beginning September 7, that big a deal? I'm eager and curious to see the Bills choices also, but an hour or 2 either way won't have me downing doses of Xanax.

We need to draft Hardy IMO. I like hardy over Sweed or Kelly

We can get a Thomas clone in Jordy Nelson in round 3 or trade back up into late round #2 to get him. I think Getting hardy and then Nelson would cause lots of match up problems for opposing D's.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=12364

Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 08/12/07: #63 WR, #615/750 Overall, Projected: PFA rising

2007: Finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, given to the nation's top receiver…Selected Big Twelve Conference Offensive Player of the Year by The NFL Draft Report…Started all twelve games at split end, shyattering school and conference season-records with 122 receptions for 1,606 yards (13.2 avg) and eleven touchdowns…Sixteen of his catches were for 20 yards or longer…Lost 7 yards on three carries, but made the most of his limited opportunities as a punt returner, as he amassed 264 yards with two touchdowns on five attempts (52.8 avg) and also recorded four tackles (3 solos)…Completed 2-of-4 passes for 45 yards, as both of his completions were good for touchdowns…Set a school season-record with 140 points scored…Gained 1,863 all-purpose yards…Ranked second in the nation with an average of 133.83 yards receiving per game, also ranking second nationally in receptions per game (10.17) and 20th in all-purpose yardage (155.25 ypg). 13 GP; 9 GS; Rec: 39-547-14-1 in '06. 11 GP; 11 GS; Rec: 45-669-14.9-8 in '05. Did not see any playing time as a member of the secondary in '04. Redshirted in '03.

In 2001, the Bills traded down from 14 to 21 (7 spots), and picked up a 2nd round pick.

Why does anybody think that trading down 8 spots from #11 and picking up a mere 3rd round pick in a draft that is said to be weak is a good thing?

17-11=6

I welcome correction by others, but this draft strikes me as being strong on both lines, especially at the OT position.

It appears weak at WR, QB, TE, and perhaps RB. I don't pay too much attention to the secondary.

Just because there is no clear cut #1 does NOT mean that the draft is WR weak. There are quite a handful of WRs that will go in the 1st and second rounds.

And to you, i'm sure every draft is strong at the lines and weak at the skill positions.

[/quote

I agree with you that OT is a strength in this draft (not so much C and OG) and the defensive line is strong at both DE and DT.

The one I disagree on is RB, this draft is the strongest group of Rb's in years. Not only it strong at the top,

but there will be quite a few 2nd, 3rd and 4rth rounders who will be heard from in the coming years.

Who knows what round pick we will get from KC, Clayton certainly doesn't. Let's wait until it actually happens before any good or bad judgments are passed out.

Moving from #11 to #17 would give us the ammo needed to pull a similar move to the McCargo (#26 for #42 and #73) or Posluszny (#34 for #43 and #74) trades of the past two years.

Both years the front office decided to move back up into the late 1st/early 2nd by giving up our regular 2nd round pick and ONE of our 3rd round picks.

They have a willingness to move up, but only if it doesn't deprive them of being able to select once per round, or something close to it in the case of the McCargo trade.

How about our first rounder AND JP Losman for the Chiefs 1st and both thirds?

Lets face it, the Chiefs need some QB help...its not like Croyle showed flashes of dominance (or competence) during his brief playing time so far. Why not give JP a fresh start in an environment where he can win the starting job? Seems like a win-win.

Nice Venture Brothers 'Tar <_<

That's part of the reason I have him as my number one. Good work ethic, strong, tall, fast, good hands, and TOUGH. That wrist injury everone keeps talking about... He played through the pain and didn't have the surgery to fix it until AFTER the season was over. My kind of player. Plus, he would have been slotted to go in the 10-15 range if it weren't for the wrist injury. <_<

And he appears to have played against some of the worst DBs I've seen in any of the WR highlight reels. I don't like Texas WRs to begin with, and especially not when they look good going against future car salesmen and mortgage brokers.

that would rawk.

thomas at 17, and an extra pick to package if our guy is sitting there, or to just load up on guys that fall to us.

if we get thomas at 17 and a solid corner falls and we nab him late first that would be a SICK day one.

add in TE, OC/OG, and BPA after that, and you have a chest kick worthy draft day!

I just looked it up:

#11 pick = 1,250

#17 pick = 950

#66 pick = 260

That's 40 points short on value. KC also has the 105th pick (84pts) 136th pick (38pts) and the 140th (36pts). They need to add one of those to the deal.

Draft value chart

Did you know KC has 13 picks now?

PTR

We should get a second, not a third. If we throw JP in, they might only want to give us a fourth.

Great. So now when the Bills pick a receiver at #11, we'll get to hear for another year how they "should have" traded down for an extra pick and still get the same player.