(OT) Bert Jones

Imo, Bert Jones ranks as one of the most sad injury stories in the history of sports.

As the qb of the Colts, this guy was awesome. Talent? He had touch on his passes AND a cannon for an arm. Not enough? He could run like a deer, and throw on the run. Oh, he was also (as I recall) pin-point accurate.

I watched him warm up once (sitting in the first row) at Shea Stadium before a jests game. It was a freezing cold day with strong winds. He threw the football as if it were a baseball, and the receiver was grunting in pain. True story.

Not that I am an expert by any means, but I am pretty sure that that he would have been in Canton if not for the career ending injury, and I am just wondering if anyone else here was lucky enough to watch him play.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo, Bert Jones ranks as one of the most sad injury stories in the history of sports.

As the qb of the Colts, this guy was awesome. Talent? He had touch on his passes AND a cannon for an arm. Not enough? He could run like a deer, and throw on the run. Oh, he was also (as I recall) pin-point accurate.

I watched him warm up once (sitting in the first row) at Shea Stadium before a jests game. It was a freezing cold day with strong winds. He threw the football as if it were a baseball, and the receiver was grunting in pain. True story.

Not that I am an expert by any means, but I am pretty sure that that he would have been in Canton if not for the career ending injury, and I am just wondering if anyone else here was lucky enough to watch him play.

71739[/snapback]

He was great. Never the same after losing to the Steelers in the playoffs.

71739[/snapback]

Saw him play, but I'm not OLD. :blink:

:doh:

What you got against Fergy?  He and Steve Freeman are my all-time favorite Bills!

71756[/snapback]

Critical mistakes at the worst possible times + whenever he was about to be sacked, he'd run backwards trying to get away & lose 10 more yards. Gary Marangi not panning out & taking his place was a big disappointment to me as a young Bills fan.

Wasn't Bert the guy who was always complaining about stuff?

71763[/snapback]

There is a great NFL films short on him - he was a cocky mother and played hurt (If I remember right he once played with a separated throwing shoulder for 3 games - the type of guy the Bills could use now.

Archie Manning was another guy who had it, but was just abused.

In '73 when Fergy was a rookie, he and Jihn Scorpan lived in the same apartment building as we did. Joe came up one Saturday and aske my wife and me down for dinner. His Dad had just flowin and brought in fresh fish. To our surprise, Bert Jones was there for dinner. Here is my wife sitting between Joe & Bert and me with no camera. Have football signed by Bert. True story. KG4ZDX

When I was a little kid (8-9) I liked the Colts (after the Bills) and I remember Jones could throw on a rope in the worst weather as well as in the good stuff.

My Uncle was a preist and taught at a St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore when the Colts were holding thier training camps there. He knew I was a closet Colts fan and told me how Bert Jones was a really "Spiritual" guy. He was impressed how the guy was pretty religious even as a young QB. Jones made the time to get to mass before many of the practices and would spend time talking to my uncle who had no interest in football about anything but football. Uncle Gil was very impressed with him on how knowldgeable the guy was ("even for a football player").

Yes, I remember him. Probably the greatest Qb to ever play the game. Good arm, mobile enough, smart, quick release and could throw a long way. He regular wins the old timers QB contest every year during the Probowl. He has had coaches kid with him about coming back, because he was throwing the ball through the moving tires at 40 yards, everytime.